Snake bite!

Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

loulougarthorpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snake bite!

Hi,

We are due to move to Calgary soon... (It was supposed to be in the next couple of weeks, but it has now been delayed until probably Christmas).

Anyway, a friends son is in the Royal Marines. He is currently away in Canada (3 hrs away from Calgary apparently). He has told his parents of a snake which bit his colleague whilst they were out on a run.

The marine survived, but was in a lot of pain, and has been flown back to the UK.

We will be moving to Calgary - has anyone else had an 'run-ins' with snakes. I am TERRIFIED of them, and now getting myself into a panic that they are out and about in the countryside....

Can anyone tell me how common they actually are?

x
Old Aug 26th 2014, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snake bite!

Originally Posted by loulougarthorpe
Hi,

We are due to move to Calgary soon... (It was supposed to be in the next couple of weeks, but it has now been delayed until probably Christmas).

Anyway, a friends son is in the Royal Marines. He is currently away in Canada (3 hrs away from Calgary apparently). He has told his parents of a snake which bit his colleague whilst they were out on a run.

The marine survived, but was in a lot of pain, and has been flown back to the UK.

We will be moving to Calgary - has anyone else had an 'run-ins' with snakes. I am TERRIFIED of them, and now getting myself into a panic that they are out and about in the countryside....

x
I doubt very much that you will ever see a snake in Calgary. I suspect the marine you refer to was at BATUS, located near Medicine Hat.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a couple of Garter snakes in Calgary last year but they are harmless, I find them more common the closer you get to the Coast, every day I see at least 1 while walking the dog while on the coast.

I've seen 5-6 Rattlesnakes in Drumheller / Okanagan but you won't be finding them in Calgary.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, a friends son is in the Royal Marines...He has told his parents of a snake which bit his colleague...The marine survived

If he was an ordinary marine, probably very common but a Royal marine is more likely a bit upper crust.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
I've seen a couple of Garter snakes in Calgary last year but they are harmless, I find them more common the closer you get to the Coast, every day I see at least 1 while walking the dog while on the coast.

I've seen 5-6 Rattlesnakes in Drumheller / Okanagan but you won't be finding them in Calgary.
There is a large conservation area for garter snakes in the south west part of Fish Creek Park, and I have seen lots of them in Fish Creek Park.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't Royal Marines trained to bite the heads off snakes? Survival Training and all that stuff.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 6:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi,

x
1. Other than the zoos, there is only 1 venomous snake in Alberta, Prairie Rattlesnake. This snake ranges in Alberta’s Grassland Natural Region, south of the Red Deer River and east of Lethbridge.
2. Probably the same chance of encountering one, as encountering the UK Vipera berus berus, which is venomous.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not worry, its not going to be a common sight if at all in Calgary.

I've only ever seen 1 snake in Canada at all, a garter snake of some sort, but they are harmless creatures.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys!

In the UK I have encountered precisely 0 snakes. I don't know what I would do if I actually saw one.

Jsmth321 - I appreciate your message, but I'm not sure they are 'harmless'! Even if I saw a garter snake I fear I would probably die through a sudden heart attack!!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I have encountered precisely 0 snakes. I don't know what I would do if I actually saw one.
What about David Cameron?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Haha! Okay, perhaps I have met a few snakes...!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:38 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You probably wouldn't like a nest of garter snakes when they wake up in the spring then, defines creepy! Although most of my knowledge of rattlesnakes has been gleaned from old westerns on tv we do have them here in southern Okanagan. When I was a kid we used to visit the snake ranch on the way to OK Falls and see them in cages. The man who caught them charged a small admission and sold assorted curios and the skins and rattles. At the Old Fairview townsite up on the benchland west of Oliver I went poking through the scrub brush looking for artifacts while wearing my sneakers. By my second trip the town had erected a sign warning of rattlesnakes and I wore combat boots and stayed in the middle of the paths. At least in snake country the hospital is tooled up so if someone does get bit they don't have to fool around looking for the anti-venin. I'd say in the Calgary area you're more likely to be mauled by a bear or lion than bitten by a snake.

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 27th 2014 at 10:45 am. Reason: Royal Marine Bitten By Snake; Snake In Critical Condition
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in Windsor Ontario for four years now and I have only seen a dead baby snake on a footpath. I am extremely snake phobic and it did worry me. To such an extent that I did not want to go and cut my grass for two years...just in case, I got other people to do that for me. I have relaxed now, because I have not seen any moving ones anywhere, but I am careful not to go walking on the wild side anywhere.....so no carefree countryside walks for me
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We see garter snakes in the garden, they seem harmless enough.
Attached Thumbnails Snake bite!-img-20130811-00239.jpg  
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Garter snakes are quite common here in Ontario and they are small, harmless and will actively avoid confrontation.

The biggest pest here, for my money, is the mosquito!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.