Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six years and done

Six years and done

Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:23 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years and done

Originally Posted by Oink
You're right, it's probably just masking it but what can you do? Maybe I could ask for a prescription for Xanax. I'm actually thinking of getting a small sailboat, something in the range of 30-34 feet. I think sailing might have a meditative effect.
'Small' What is your definition of large?
Yeah, Xanax, your boat steaming back full pelt from fishing off Galiano Island, some beer.. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
'Small' What is your definition of large?
Yeah, Xanax, your boat steaming back full pelt from fishing off Galiano Island, some beer.. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
Over 40 ft.

You silly billy, I wouldn't as a matter of course combine tranquillizers with alcohol, especially when driving a boat at high speed.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:38 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Over 40 ft.

You silly billy, I wouldn't as a matter of course combine tranquillizers with alcohol, especially when driving a boat at high speed.
Well the idiots on the lake seemed to be under the influence of god knows what today, driving like fools- add blaring Garth Brooks at high volume (Garth Crooks would actually be better) into the mix thoroughly spoilt my day- so if you can't beat them....

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 7th 2017 at 3:51 am.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:56 am
Just Joined

pquick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello..
just want to say. I could not agree with you more!!!
This is the most boring place, with self centred ignorant people, who have no manners.
I am so pleased I will be going back to civility, in wet, beautiful England
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:00 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by pquick
Hello..
This is the most boring place, with self centred ignorant people, who have no manners.
That's fighting talk, some people on this forum can be quite nice...take Siouxie for example. Bristol is doing his best to liven things up, it always goes a bit quiet on here over the summer

Yet someone else who chose badly Province wise,....should have come to BC

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 7th 2017 at 4:03 am.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pquick
Hello..
Oh dear, sorry to hear that you feel that way.

I live in Hamilton too. I sometimes think I must live in a different Country to those that say it's boring etc., because I've found people to be welcoming, open, friendly and courteous. There's so much going on, particularly in the summer, that I find it hard to be bored. I know many say that Canadians have no sense of humour, but a couple of my close friends have the art of taking the p*** down pat!

Each to their own, horses for courses!

I hope you settle well back in the UK.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 7th 2017 at 4:23 am.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada won't be for everyone, and if one chooses a province poorly and not suited to their lifestyle, the individual may not see much they like. Canada like the US and other large geographic countries are simply too large and have too many regions to call a whole country this or that based on 1 region.

BC is different then say Manitoba, I can handle BC, but would go batty in Manitoba but for another Manitoba might work out perfectly.

Also helps not to compare Canada to Europe, Canada isn't Europe and its going to be different.

I do find my little region of BC boring at times, but that isn't the fault of BC, I have interests and like to do things that are simply not available here and that's okay and while I am bored here, I wouldn't call BC boring as others find a plethora of things to do.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 9:39 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
MarylandNed - thanks for your insights. One of my "problems" is that I come from a beautiful village in Sussex. The scenery is amazing, the weather is good for the UK, although still crap, the chavs are located a suitable distance away from the area, and there is London, Brighton and Europe on your doorstep, not to mention a vast array of awesome country pubs. When I go back, I am aware of the fact that much of the UK is not so pleasant, but I would possibly only ever drive through those bits!

Stinkypup: we have made closest connections with other ex pats too, and to be fair canadians who are well travelled and have something to say for themselves. Our closest friend is Barrie born and bred but has lived all over the world...she is so much fun. The problem is that while her husband is a really nice bloke, I struggle to get more than a few words out of him. I really miss my UK and antipodian mates.

I know that I have generalized wildly, and through work I have met some great people, but it seems really hard to find guys like that through my local connections. I have no love for hockey, baseball, fishing and trucks, so I am screwed really.
What is it with trucks anyway? I just don't see what is to like and why every bloody Canadian has one
Give me the car variety in Europe & UK anyway
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:33 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

One of my "problems" is that I come from a beautiful village in Sussex. The scenery is amazing, the weather is good for the UK, although still crap, the chavs are located a suitable distance away from the area, and there is London, Brighton and Europe on your doorstep, not to mention a vast array of awesome country pubs. When I go back, I am aware of the fact that much of the UK is not so pleasant, but I would possibly only ever drive through those bits!
Then I imagine it would be hard. I too am from that neck of the woods and love it still. Couldnt afford to live in the likes of Cuckfield, Lindfield or Ditchling but I loved being near them. Where I live now feels as good in a Canadian way.

And don't get me started about Tim Hortons. 6 years and I still can't stomach it. Seriously, I still laugh at the morons queuing for it.
Then you must be laughing at people like me too Their peppermint tea is great and affordable as is the cinnamon maple french toast bagel toasted with butter.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
What is it with trucks anyway? I just don't see what is to like and why every bloody Canadian has one
Trucks are useful when you have a horse and a trailer and are eyeing up campers....
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
You don't have to be a cultural psychologist to know that in the US it's the modern version of a horse coupled with ideas of masculinity that get conflated with the romance of rugged individualism. And Canadians just copy their southern neighbours.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You have to make do. But as was noted above, booze helps. Oh, and decent streams for the cricket.

I've never heard of anywhere so boring that you have to watch cricket on TV for some excitement.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Around here the snobbery is all about the cottage. People, mainly cradles and Indians, are fiercely competitive about their cottages and which lakes they're on. As on an onlooker it's absurd, if you've less than $500,000 worth of cottage it's a bug infested damp hut with 1970s pine paneling, if you were offered it as a motel room you'd run a mile. If you've a million dollar cottage it'll be nice enough but a pain to maintain, eating up your holiday with painting and decorating; the interest on a million bucks would buy you a better holiday somewhere different each year and, if you go different places, you won't have people at the office sneering because, at their damp hut, their boat has a bigger motor.

LOL! Although, to be fair, the cottages do get used more often than once a year. I can't say owning one ever appealed to me much. The traffic out of the GTA to cottage country and back again is often horrendous. And black flies can take meat off your bones.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
(Garth Crooks would actually be better)...
Better than Ian Wright Wright Wright.

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Trucks are useful when you...are eyeing up campers....
Are you out on the pull?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:23 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Better than Ian Wright Wright Wright.

Are you out on the pull?
LOL!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.