Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six years and done

Six years and done

Old Aug 4th 2017, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Six years and done

We moved to Canada 6 years ago. I have a very well paid job, we have a great home, and live in a nice area, but we are done with Canada...or more specifically Canadians. I've met people who moved here 30 years ago, raised a family etc and still struggle socially.

The nicest thing I can say about Canadians is that they are polite (until they get behind the wheel of their financed SUV).

I live for my long weekends back in the UK where you can have a real conversation. Canadians are dull as dishwater.

If you are thinking of coming, take it from someone who believed 100% that the grass was greener...it isn't. Family, friends and a country populated by people capable of intelligent conversation is worth more than a MacMansion and a shiny new SUV.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:03 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years and done

So you have changed your mind then?
Originally Posted by TheBear
I arrived in Canada back in July. I have loved it here from the get go. Yes I get annoyed at a few things, like we are totally ripped off here on certain items, the TV is total rubbish (thank goodness iPlayer is now available here) and the 401 makes the M25 look like a quiet country road full of polite thoughtful people, but I know that this place is way better than the country I was born in and lived in for 43 years. Going back at Christmas totally confirmed this.

England is a DREARY OVERPRICED CHAV INFESTED DUMP.

I saw the sun for about 10 minutes for the whole of the week I was there. I was gobsmacked at how small my friends houses felt after getting used to sizes here. The aggression and general look on people's faces was depressing. I had a group of drunken chavs pick a fight with me on Christmas day. Everywhere looked a bit run down and worn out. Lots of stuff was expensive, and especially houses still. Even villages that I once thought were cute just looked grim.

The only thing I miss about the UK is the wonderful friends and family I have left behind, but with time, hard work and patience, I will develop a good social network here.

Basically, I couldn't wait to get home...Canada.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:14 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So you have changed your mind then?
Ha ha contrast or what. Hey it is what it is tho and someone's heaven maybe some one else's hell.

Enjoy the UK op, I look fwd to the "we moved back to the UK and it was a mistake" thread in 6 months time
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have citizenship? If so, if you change your mind, you can return. I agree with both your view from sometime back and current, I think I won't stay into my dotage.....the deal in uk for the more senior is superior. Respect to you for having your own mind.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

That's too funny quoting me from my first Christmas back. For a long time I felt that way, and England can truly be depressing, but I am not kidding when I say that I do most of my socializing back there still.

I have citizenship, so could return after we leave, but doubt I will. Family illness (my Dad) first made me think about returning two years ago, then I had a period off work when for the first time since I'd arrived I wasn't so busy as to notice how crap our social life was.

We have really tried. We go to church, are normal, sociable...but no dice. Then I realized we just don't belong, but most of all Canadians are not like Ozzies or Kiwis, they are more like the Swiss or Swedes. I know it sounds nasty, but they are just really boring, and we've had enough.

I always said that if I could move my friends and family out here, life would be perfect...but I can't, and the superior quality of life is not enough.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Ha ha contrast or what. Hey it is what it is tho and someone's heaven maybe some one else's hell.

Enjoy the UK op, I look fwd to the "we moved back to the UK and it was a mistake" thread in 6 months time
You're probably right, but I'm screwed either way. We aren't happy here that's for sure...people are everything, and we just aren't connecting.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:33 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

That's too funny quoting me from my first Christmas back. For a long time I felt that way, and England can truly be depressing, but I am not kidding when I say that I do most of my socializing back there still.

I have citizenship, so could return after we leave, but doubt I will. Family illness (my Dad) first made me think about returning two years ago, then I had a period off work when for the first time since I'd arrived I wasn't so busy as to notice how crap our social life was.

We have really tried. We go to church, are normal, sociable...but no dice. Then I realized we just don't belong, but most of all Canadians are not like Ozzies or Kiwis, they are more like the Swiss or Swedes. I know it sounds nasty, but they are just really boring, and we've had enough.

I always said that if I could move my friends and family out here, life would be perfect...but I can't, and the superior quality of life is not enough.
Sorry to be irreverent but this is not normal for me, none of my Canadian friends that I get on well with go to church. Maybe you need a different circle?
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Sorry to be irreverent but this is not normal for me, none of my Canadian friends that I get on well with go to church. Maybe you need a different circle?
That may not have helped as they are all teetotal! However, our friends who have been here 30 years aren't church goers and have really struggled too. The culture here is very different...I listen to the radio here and cringe...TV, cut the cord within 2 months. I actually finf the Quebequois more like the british than the people here in Ontario. Here they cannot cope with any form of confrontation, even just questioning. Critisism is a huge no-no...I am used to a culture in which everyone takes the piss out of each other and themselves.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Boring is as boring does. (From an anything but borinh Canadian).

If you're still having trouble fitting in after 6 years then maybe it's you and not them. Just sayin'
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy

If you're still having trouble fitting in after 6 years then maybe it's you and not them. Just sayin'
Maybe it is us, but I've never had a problem elsewhere and lived in the US, OZ, New Zealand, Wales and of course England. Got friends all over the world, but not here really. We just feel incredibly lonely and depressed now.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy

And by the way, using the phrase "just sayin" is totally wank.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:55 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

That may not have helped as they are all teetotal! However, our friends who have been here 30 years aren't church goers and have really struggled too. The culture here is very different...I listen to the radio here and cringe...TV, cut the cord within 2 months. I actually finf the Quebequois more like the british than the people here in Ontario. Here they cannot cope with any form of confrontation, even just questioning. Critisism is a huge no-no...I am used to a culture in which everyone takes the piss out of each other and themselves.
I've just noticed that you're in Barrie, we live in Bracebridge. I often think Barrie must be a bit soulless to live in, apart from the fact that you have all the shops!

Whenever I feel homesick which is frequently, I know I project it on to where I live, friends, job etc. In reality it's nothing to do with them and when the fog clears I get it again.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is us, but I've never had a problem elsewhere and lived in the US, OZ, New Zealand, Wales and of course England. Got friends all over the world, but not here really. We just feel incredibly lonely and depressed now.
And is that the fault of Canada or is it possible that you chose the wrong area? Canada is a massive place so to tar the entire 30+ million people based on your experience of Barrie (hardly known as a hotbed of excitement) is a bit unfair and unrealistic.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I've just noticed that you're in Barrie, we live in Bracebridge. I often think Barrie must be a bit soulless to live in, apart from the fact that you have all the shops!

Whenever I feel homesick which is frequently, I know I project it on to where I live, friends, job etc. In reality it's nothing to do with them and when the fog clears I get it again.
I live in the downtown, which is the best bit...the burbs are truly soulless, you are right. My job is amazing, where I live is beautiful...I look out my back window and it is like cottage country, all trees and older homes well spaced (have a big 1940s house, but not a Macmansion...said that to paint a picture). People are eveything. I am just being honest, tried really really hard, but given up now. Wouldn't call it homesickness, just sick of being alone.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:05 am
Muskoka, Ontario

I live in the downtown, which is the best bit...the burbs are truly soulless, you are right. My job is amazing, where I live is beautiful...I look out my back window and it is like cottage country, all trees and older homes well spaced (have a big 1940s house, but not a Macmansion...said that to paint a picture). People are eveything. I am just being honest, tried really really hard, but given up now. Wouldn't call it homesickness, just sick of being alone.
Well maybe it is just your time. It's a good time to sell, Bracebridge is crazy at the moment- house prices are flying up.. the Toronto effect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.