Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Simple TV question

Simple TV question

Old Mar 24th 2016, 3:42 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simple TV question

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Now that's a good tipoff

You are quite right, the waters I think are very muddy. As long as Snoop gets off my case with regard to warning emails then I'm a happy pup

Genesis did go a bit Pete Tong for a while but It seems to be back to its best for me. Only Channel 4 doesn't seem to want to play but I watch that via the website. Any probs I have I look at the Kodi's forum, answers and solutions come very quickly.

Are you getting warning emails? From who?

I wouldn't use Shaw or any of the cable suppliers even if they dropped their prices drastically. I like the way I watch telly now.

Last edited by Londonuck; Mar 24th 2016 at 3:44 am.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 4:01 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Genesis did go a bit Pete Tong for a while but It seems to be back to its best for me. Only Channel 4 doesn't seem to want to play but I watch that via the website. Any probs I have I look at the Kodi's forum, answers and solutions come very quickly.

Are you getting warning emails? From who?

I wouldn't use Shaw or any of the cable suppliers even if they dropped their prices drastically. I like the way I watch telly now.
They were coming from the likes of HBO etc via Telus at the time-I was watching Game of Thrones/the Walkng a Dead/ Supernatural- pup was downloading whole seasons of.. God knows what! - it just got tedious.

We switched to Shaw due to internet speed as we all stream independently. We just have Shaw for our internet, no cable etc, as you say, no need. We have to have a landline as we live in a bit of a dip and our cellphone coverage is sketchy in certain parts of the house- annoying but in view of work we do have to be contactable most of the time. Hopefully upgrades to Telus in town this year may improve things and we can then ditch the pointless landline
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My MIL rents out rooms in her house to 20 somethings passing through Squam and they of course download various movies and such and recently shaw has been sending warninf letters of some sort about it, has her paranoid now the cops are gonna bust down her door.

Now that's a good tipoff

You are quite right, the waters I think are very muddy. As long as Snoop gets off my case with regard to warning emails then I'm a happy pup
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by my IT friend its not the download they track you with its when it "seeds" thats when they can track you. I had two emails from Telus regarding illegal downloads so one cure for that was an app on my phone so i could monitor those downloads while relaxing in my recliner. Once the download was at 95% i would drag my ass to the PC and shut off the download before it started seeding. Well he put the app on my phone and PC thats what IT friends are for lol
Old Mar 25th 2016, 2:25 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
I was told by my IT friend its not the download they track you with its when it "seeds" thats when they can track you. I had two emails from Telus regarding illegal downloads so one cure for that was an app on my phone so i could monitor those downloads while relaxing in my recliner. Once the download was at 95% i would drag my ass to the PC and shut off the download before it started seeding. Well he put the app on my phone and PC thats what IT friends are for lol
So you got all but the end of the program.. was that not a bit frustrating missing the cliffhanger?
Old Mar 25th 2016, 2:26 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My MIL rents out rooms in her house to 20 somethings passing through Squam and they of course download various movies and such and recently shaw has been sending warninf letters of some sort about it, has her paranoid now the cops are gonna bust down her door.
So that is why Snoop was lead away in handcuffs this afternoon
Old Mar 25th 2016, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an Android phone/Android Box (like Nexus Player, NVidia Shield, MXIII G etc...) or Apple TV or a Windows based computer, just install Kodi and install the free FilmOn addon. You get most UK channels (BBC, ITV etc.. Food Network)
Been running it for over a year now.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 6:47 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I use Play Box Hd on my iPad and iPhone to stream to my apple tv, as most current movies and tv shows, its free and as its not torrent its not an issue until they decide to make streaming an issue
Old Mar 25th 2016, 2:43 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

They were coming from the likes of HBO etc via Telus at the time-I was watching Game of Thrones/the Walkng a Dead/ Supernatural- pup was downloading whole seasons of.. God knows what! - it just got tedious.

We switched to Shaw due to internet speed as we all stream independently. We just have Shaw for our internet, no cable etc, as you say, no need. We have to have a landline as we live in a bit of a dip and our cellphone coverage is sketchy in certain parts of the house- annoying but in view of work we do have to be contactable most of the time. Hopefully upgrades to Telus in town this year may improve things and we can then ditch the pointless landline
As was said from someone else with Kodi you dont need to download anything, just stream. Anyone needs a good how to site, try this for Kodi
Old Mar 25th 2016, 5:27 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Londonuck
As was said from someone else with Kodi you dont need to download anything, just stream. Anyone needs a good how to site, try this for Kodi
Thanks for the link
Yep, that is what we do, just stream. I thought that was what I had suggested but maybe my post was a bit confusing
Old Mar 25th 2016, 5:50 pm
Éireann go Brách

Thanks for the link
Yep, that is what we do, just stream. I thought that was what I had suggested but maybe my post was a bit confusing
Yea sorry I did get that i just wondered who was sending you letters if you were streaming. All clear now
Old Mar 25th 2016, 6:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...that is what we do, just stream...
My issue with streaming.....

No matter how good your own internet is (and ours is) there may still be site problems.

One streaming source might just have that little ring going round and round and round and round and round and never starts when earlier on there was no problem.

Or it might start but keep stopping when previously the same site wasn't a problem.

If you pause to make a coffee or something and find it's 20 minutes or so before you get back, it might not start going again.

Much depends on the site and some are more reliable than others but even the most reliable may suddenly not play nice. At least with a download, once connected it's just minutes away from having it saved and ready to view.

You get yourself ready, sit down with beverage or whatever and then maybe find yourself faffing around trying to find one that works first time. Or you might even find that while the movie was there earlier, it has since been removed.

Tonight, I can sit down, have my whisky and 7up ready and my dry roasted nuts and I know that I can start up The Night Manager and it's absolutely guaranteed to work instantly.

No bandwidth issues, no threatening emails or letters.
There is that bloke in the suit and shades I've got tied up in the garage though. I'll see what he wants after Easter.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 6:40 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived we used Shaw. Standard Definition is poor. Kept trying to adjust TV until I realised it was what Shaw do.
Now we use Telus and SD is much better. However I only graze with Telus and record the odd programme.
For most TV I have a small PC connected to the TV and internet and use Kodi. Addons give me free real time UK channels (watched last 6 nations rugby) and a huge repository of free TV programs and movies on demand (currently watching House of cards, UK and US).
Old Mar 26th 2016, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

So you got all but the end of the program.. was that not a bit frustrating missing the cliffhanger?
Shutting it off at 99% doesn't effect what you watch, but the telus emails stopped.
I don't download any more though I watch everything through raspberry Pi

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Mar 26th 2016 at 3:22 am.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 3:21 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Shutting it off at 99% doesn't effect what you watch, but the tells emails stopped.
I don't download any more though I watch everything through raspberry Pi
Interesting way of avoiding the hassle- I would have never thought of that. Streaming seems to be so much better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.