Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Short sellers betting against Vancouver real estate

Short sellers betting against Vancouver real estate

Old Jul 2nd 2015, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short sellers betting against Vancouver real estate

Personally, I take great delight in people refusing to accept there will be a crash at some point.

You must acknowledge that if prices continue to increase at a faster rate than salaries, that eventually, property will become too expensive for the working/middle classes.

All it would take right now, IMO, is for interest rates to rise to 3-5%, and most people in Vancouver (ie. people living/working there with a mortgage) would be f***ed.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 2:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Personally, I take great delight in people refusing to accept there will be a crash at some point.
That's one of the definitive symptoms of any boom. The belief that a market can't crash despite the fact that every market in human history crashes. It's economic evolution.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 3:26 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

You must acknowledge that if prices continue to increase at a faster rate than salaries, that eventually, property will become too expensive for the working/middle classes.

All it would take right now, IMO, is for interest rates to rise to 3-5%, and most people in Vancouver (ie. people living/working there with a mortgage) would be f***ed.
Every market will crash at some point

What makes property so interesting is how far the banks and government will go to prop it up

and with some governments pushing property out of the lower classes and into desirable rentals doesn't seem to be too big an issue

that in some part is why transit is built, keep prices high keep the riff raff out and ship in your plebs on demand
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Every market will crash at some point

What makes property so interesting is how far the banks and government will go to prop it up
Given that a small increase in interest rates would seriously effect anyone who purchased property in the last 5 years, there's probably not a lot that the banks/canadian government can do. Canada (more specifically, BC) isnt big/influential enough to keep interest rates low if everyone else is increasing them.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Jerry how did you end up in Vancouver? Thought the interior was the place to be? We never got to the Okanagan and ended up on VI such is fate.......
Hi
basically availability of work was why it was initially Vancouver
then the kids settled into school so well, couldn't move them again after moving them half way around the world.
So it is here for a while to build up the pension, ( i have to do at least 10yrs with my employer ) then who knows where for retirement
cheers
jerry
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 11:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

And those who will be *****ed the most will be the young folk who bought more recently at close to 100% mortgage, or the close to retirees who're hoping to use their equity to pay for their retirement.

A rise in rates of 1% will screw many, and 3% rise will screw most.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
So by that theory is the london market ready for a crash, my visit the other year it was 1 mill gbp for a terraced house.
here less than half that gets a detached property.
I think any interest rate will just slow the local economy, it seems here people will stop spending and pay the mortgage
i talked with one guy once about historical high rates, he said you paid the mortgage, then figured out what you had left for food, sometimes there was little, and only neccessity were bought
i have seen the ups and downs since the 70's in uk
only thing that gains value is land, it will only get more demand as the world gets busier
cheers
jerry
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo
And those who will be *****ed the most will be the young folk who bought more recently at close to 100% mortgage, or the close to retirees who're hoping to use their equity to pay for their retirement.

Hi
i imagine for most retirees a crash wouldnt hurt to much, you sell for less, downsize to a property which is then cheaper because of any crash and pay less tax on the move
the young folk would have time to sit on the property until it climbs back up.
cheers
jerry
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:19 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
So by that theory is the london market ready for a crash, my visit the other year it was 1 mill gbp for a terraced house.
I think any interest rate will just slow the local economy, it seems here people will stop spending and pay the mortgage
i talked with one guy once about historical high rates, he said you paid the mortgage, then figured out what you had left for food, sometimes there was little, and only neccessity were bought
only thing that gains value is land, it will only get more demand as the world gets busier
cheers
jerry
Hi
cheers
jerry
Why compare property prices in Vancouver to London? Surely we should compare Vancouver to Portland, for example?
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:27 am
Beep

Hi
i imagine for most retirees a crash wouldnt hurt to much, you sell for less, downsize to a property which is then cheaper because of any crash and pay less tax on the move
the young folk would have time to sit on the property until it climbs back up.
cheers
jerry
Your more expensive property will drop in value much more than the cheaper downsized option in $'s and possibly %'s. With more reports of old folks or pre retirees worried about sustainable income, it would be a kick in the teeth (if they have any left).

The young ones can of course ride it out (unless their 1 bed apartment becomes too small due to pregnancies, or marriage, or divorce, or job loss forces a sale, etc) although like in the states you may have to wait 10 years for prices to return unless you want to sell at an impressive loss and a drain on your future retirement income.

It's scary how indebted and blinkered people are here.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

It's scary how indebted and blinkered people are here....
Hi
Best to agree to disagree,

each to their own opinion

time will tell who is right

as always
cheers
jerry
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 10:43 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

If we care to look at the process available now ?

But in many cases if this is large enough, the banks/government will alter terms to enable people to keep there house rather than default

Its in neither parties interest to have the market crash... rather they'd look to engineer a slow (just affordable) correction

I suspect many will offer the opportunity to extend the terms either in years, or allow the debt to rise... worst

the premise is to pay it off later.....
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 3:46 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by MikeUK
If we care to look at the process available now ?

But in many cases if this is large enough, the banks/government will alter terms to enable people to keep there house rather than default

Its in neither parties interest to have the market crash... rather they'd look to engineer a slow (just affordable) correction

I suspect many will offer the opportunity to extend the terms either in years, or allow the debt to rise... worst

the premise is to pay it off later.....
Genuine question. Has any government in a country experiencing a popped housing bubble done any of that?

Even a slow correction or flatline will mess a lot of people up who have the real estate retirement strategy (majority of canadian home owners?).
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 3:49 pm
Beep

Hi
Best to agree to disagree,

each to their own opinion

time will tell who is right

as always
cheers
jerry
It's not about being right or wrong. It's about risk, and the fact people see no risk in having all your eggs in one highly indebted basket in todays Vancouver real estate market.

Vancouver is not different than anywhere else in regards to real estate bubbles and their outcomes. Maybe i'm just the different one.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's not about being right or wrong. It's about risk, and the fact people see no risk in having all your eggs in one highly indebted basket in todays Vancouver real estate market.

Vancouver is not different than anywhere else in regards to real estate bubbles and their outcomes. Maybe i'm just the different one.
If I'd recently bought property in Vancouver, I would prefer to have my head in the sand too
The risk is too big to think about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.