Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping my prescription pills from US into Canada

Shipping my prescription pills from US into Canada

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:32 am
Just Joined

thebleh is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Shipping my prescription pills from US into Canada

How does this work? I have a doctor's prescription in the US for ambien and trazodone (sleeping pills that I'm having a very hard time getting by without). Can I get my prescription filled in the united states and have them mailed to me without much problems? The prescriptions are legitimate and from what I've read they don't even have these prescriptions in Canada at all. I got through the border fine at the airport with the last pill bottles in my suitcase, but my main question is will they stop this in the mail if I have a friend mail them to me?

I'm still a visitor to CA and a citizen of the United States.

Thank you for your advice,

-Zak
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping my prescription pills from US into Canada

I ordered medication in the States and have not had any problems with customs, however they were non prescription drugs.
There is a restriction on narcotics, you can check the following web site>

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...9-9-2-eng.html and the memo referred to is here:
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/...19-9-2-eng.pdf
(if you scroll to page 2 you'll find that there are restrictions and a permit might be needed)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Graham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant future

When I needed a new set of pills for my high blood pressure I went to the doc in New Brunswick who was sympathetic but told me that the drug on my UK prescription was not available in Canada and advised me to order it on the internet. I did as she advised and got a good price.
When they shipped them to me they were held by Customs because it is apparently illegal to import prescription drugs into Canada. I telephoned the customs officer who had written to tell me about the confiscation and when he found that I was a visitor to Canada and not yet a resident he released the drugs immediately and I had them within three days. I had to email a scanned copy of my passport to him as proof of being a visitor.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:10 am
Just Joined

thebleh is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmmm, graham's post gives me hope but the pdf file doens't look good.

I suppose I'll have to have them shipped to me, and then call them and have them release my meds because I'm just a visitor.

That might actually work.

Thank you for any advice,

-Zak
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Trazodone should be available in Canada, but of course you would need to see a Canadian doctor to prescribe it, but it comes up on Health Canada's drug search as being an active drug in Canada.

Ambien is not, no clue why, either not approved or the company chooses not to market it in Canada, but there are likely substitute drugs to replace Ambien with, but of course only a doctor or pharmacist would not for sure.

In case you can't get them shipped to you, or customs wont release them.

http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/dpd-bdpp/...he.do?lang=eng

You can use the above link to search Health Canada's website.