Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies

Shipping Companies

Old May 18th 2009, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

AandT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Companies

I know this has probably been covered on threads before, so I apologise if so, but as we are now full of excitiement on getting our TWP Ok today reality has sunk in and there is much to do before we leave for BC.

I know with shipping companies the service can vary region to region so my question is as follows - we are moving from North Yorkshire to Vancouver, so I guess shipping companies are going to be using regional depots based in Yorkshire or the North East. Does anyone have any experience moving from this area and what were their impressions? Is there anyone we should really avoid?

So far have Robinsons and PSS booked to quote, have also emailed White & Co - can anyone suggest anyone else? We would be looking at a full 20ft container.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Tony
Old May 18th 2009, 7:49 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Shipping Companies

Originally Posted by AandT
I know this has probably been covered on threads before, so I apologise if so, but as we are now full of excitiement on getting our TWP Ok today reality has sunk in and there is much to do before we leave for BC.

I know with shipping companies the service can vary region to region so my question is as follows - we are moving from North Yorkshire to Vancouver, so I guess shipping companies are going to be using regional depots based in Yorkshire or the North East. Does anyone have any experience moving from this area and what were their impressions? Is there anyone we should really avoid?

So far have Robinsons and PSS booked to quote, have also emailed White & Co - can anyone suggest anyone else? We would be looking at a full 20ft container.

Regards

Tony
Anglo Pacific, Dorree Bonner, Pickfords.
We are using PSS for our shipping.Most of the quotes we received were roughly the same cost.

Good luck
Old May 18th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping Companies

We were well pleased with Crown, they have offices in Leeds. We actually only went groupage so couldn't give you any prices on a container. Staff were very proffesional, packers were brill and everything arrived safely.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

mayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud of

Hi these were our quotes for door to door UK to Calgary full use of 20ft container.

Robinsons £3795
Fox £3530
Bournes £4677
GB Liners £3833
White & co £4014

I know GB Liners have a depot in Leeds.

HTH
Old May 18th 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

marieceleste is on a distinguished road

From my own experience with PSS I would not recommend them. They dumped our stuff in boxes like it was trash, there was no order to the packing, like clothes were packed with toys and pictures. It was like opening boxes up from a jumble sale. Stuff we had packed in laundry bags, which we had folded and sealed to be put directly in containers had basically been unsealed, tipped upside down and dumped in the containers. We specifically asked them not to pack stuff in 3 containers that we had packed ourselves as they contained our childrens precious items which we had kept since birth, when we opened these containers at our destination they had packed heavy items on top of the precious stuff and ruined a lot of it. I was really upset.

PSS was the most expensive of the quotes we had, so we thought we would get a good job done. That was not the case, we have had to claim for several broken items and they arent small items either. They told us a date for our shipment arrival, we queried this saying this seemed early, they said no that was correct, so we had to alter our flights to get here before the shipment arrived. In fact our stuff arrived a month later than they had told us.

All in all PSS were no way near worth the money we paid and I would never use them again!
Old May 19th 2009, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

yellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant futureyellowbelly has a brilliant future

We used GB Liners to move from Norfolk to Calgary. The service in the UK was great as we had to keep moving dates about due to the house sale. The company where very helpful. They supplied packing material for us to pack some boxes.

The company they use in Canada was very good. The only thing we've found broken so far is a couple of glasses. Thats not to bad considering the distance travelled!!!!
Old May 19th 2009, 7:04 am
Just Joined

AandT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone so far, really appreciate the feedback re GB Liners & Crown as these don't seem to be as high profile as PSS, Anglo Pacific etc so can slip under the radar. I will contact them today.

The guy from Robinsons came yesterday - my wife Alison saw him and was very impressed by his professionalism, let's see the quote now.

Regards

Tony
Old May 19th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Co-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud of

So far we have had qoutes from Robinsons, Pickfords and today, PSS. Both Robinsons and Pickfords spent time going carefully around, and being very detailed and professional in their approach. PSS on the other hand was here about 15 minutes tops, did not check things like the fishing rods, (both the others were very particular as to how they would be packed) He went through his spiel like a whippet out of the box, and I will not be using him regardless of his quote.

I think we will go with Robinsons, their quote was £1,000 cheaper than Pickfords, and the only thing I could see different was the packaging used, and Robinsons packaging seemed fine.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:38 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We used Excess International - they were fab - no breakages!
Old May 19th 2009, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

We used Tudor Freight based in Leeds. We only had 12 boxes though
Old May 19th 2009, 8:19 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all

Thanks everyone so far, really appreciate the feedback re GB Liners & Crown as these don't seem to be as high profile as PSS, Anglo Pacific etc so can slip under the radar. I will contact them today.

The guy from Robinsons came yesterday - my wife Alison saw him and was very impressed by his professionalism, let's see the quote now.

Regards

Tony
I had the guy from Robinsons out last week and he was also brilliant!!.....I wonder if it was the same guy, was he called David?

Definately the best out of the 3 I had, the only problem was that they all came up with different cubic feet after they saw all our stuff.

1st 920
2nd 977
3rd 1167

there a big difference between them!
Old May 19th 2009, 8:19 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all

Regards

Tony
youve also got John Masons
Old May 19th 2009, 9:15 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

sole use of 20ft container, full packing and unpacking from Surrey to Calgary with Pickfords I got it for $2500 (down from $3500 and just over a year ago) after some negotiations and getting them to change the route from via Vancouver to via Montreal.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

JustDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brownstar
sole use of 20ft container, full packing and unpacking from Surrey to Calgary with Pickfords I got it for $2500 (down from $3500 and just over a year ago) after some negotiations and getting them to change the route from via Vancouver to via Montreal.
wow! I've just been quoted over £3000 from Pickfords for a Glasgow - Montreal move! And that wasnt even for a full container! 'not to exceed 480 cubic feet' apparently. Does your negotiation technique involve the man from Pickfords' trousers and a bag of angry ferrets?!

Looking at getting some more quotes in just now (thanks to everyone here for the list of companies!), but in the meantime I'm away to see if you can bulk-buy ferrets in Costco!
Old May 20th 2009, 4:06 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustDave
wow! I've just been quoted over £3000 from Pickfords for a Glasgow - Montreal move! And that wasnt even for a full container! 'not to exceed 480 cubic feet' apparently. Does your negotiation technique involve the man from Pickfords' trousers and a bag of angry ferrets?!

Looking at getting some more quotes in just now (thanks to everyone here for the list of companies!), but in the meantime I'm away to see if you can bulk-buy ferrets in Costco!
I had a quote from another firm that was close to $2500 with a half container. I said that I'd go wit Pickfords if they got close with the use of a full container.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.