Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping big stuff from UK

Shipping big stuff from UK

Old Dec 5th 2003, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping big stuff from UK

Hi there

I was just wondering what the experiences of those who've made the move were, with regard to taking over their wordly belongings.

My partner and I have a fair bit of antique furniture we'd like to bring (a couple of wardrobes, chests of drawers, etc) as well as all the other stuff like books, records, cds, musical instruments, etc.

What would people recommend as to shipping methods? My uncle (who lives in BC) emigrated in the 70s, and he suggested hiring part of a container. Anybody tried this? Any other ideas??
Old Dec 5th 2003, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

GlosMaple is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

When I emigrated to Canada from the UK I dealt with Allied Pickfords - they were great ........they came in packed everything up and did the unpacking at the Toronto end. They were extremely professional and I didn't have any breakages.......i even put my stuff in storage for a while prior to my move.

The appealing thing was that it was Allied Pickfords that dealt with the UK end and the Canadian end of the move. Many other companies offered the same sort of service..........but used agents at the Canadian end........who obviously you don't know.

They were a little more expensive, but piece of mind with valuables is what its all about really.

Best of Luck with your move
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Cool!

What sort of money are we talking? How much stuff did you take? How was it packed?
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

depending on where you are moving to, you need to consider carefully if you want to bring your antiques to a very dry climate. some parts of Canada are incredibly dry and your furniture could get very damaged.

just something else to consider!
Old Dec 5th 2003, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

GlosMaple is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mr Lee
Cool!

What sort of money are we talking? How much stuff did you take? How was it packed?

An entire house (3 bedroomed minus electrical goods)they packed it as per a normal house move, plus they wrapped everything (the sofa and other furniture) in like a clingfilm wrap........(nightmare to get off !!!.....Very protective tho')

It was then put into wooden crates at the Pickfords depot in the UK ready for shipping.

I've got a vague recollection its was round about 2000 sterlingthat was in '97
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shipping big stuff from UK

Hi there

I was just wondering what the experiences of those who've made the move were, with regard to taking over their wordly belongings.

My partner and I have a fair bit of antique furniture we'd like to bring (a couple of wardrobes, chests of drawers, etc) as well as all the other stuff like books, records, cds, musical instruments, etc.

What would people recommend as to shipping methods? My uncle (who lives in BC) emigrated in the 70s, and he suggested hiring part of a container. Anybody tried this? Any other ideas??
When you hire part of a container, the shipping company will handle all that for you although a while ago I did read of someone having a container delivered to his home and he packed it himself. When we moved from Cornwall, we asked four or five companies to quote. We only had good responses from three and none of them were that interested although it was a bot complicated due to the move from cornwall to london to storage to canada. We did the first part with a local Launceston company who were excellent. We took our stuff to Yellow Storage in new Malden and when the time came, looked in Yellow Pages and found a company locally. There was a marked difference in attitude, knowledge and helpfulness and they got the job. They moved antiques, glass, porcelain, tools, drapes and books galore. We only took out the 'ship sinks' insurance and were glad of some saving. Not one single thing got broke. I have a glass fronted cabinet, antique glasses and ornaments and although I packed them myself you can;t guarantee anything (spent loads on bubblewrap!).

Just one point though, my antique bureau is showing signs of drying out (althought not in grest condition to start with). Its the first time for 20 years it hasn;t been in a damp (by UK standards) house and the vaneer is lifting a bit. So can I ask you to think about the antiuqes a bit and why you want them? I mean for me I have no family to leave them to so they'll have no value as such to anyone else and on that basis I brought them with me. If its £££'s value for you to leave to someone, might be worth liquidating now unless you're going to BC
Just a little something to think about!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

paul7908 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping big stuff from UK

Hi there

Hello,

We have just been through the process of quotes for our move in the new year.

In the end we went with Baxters international removals (Our first Quote). they were the most reasonable in terms of price and also the fact that they have an office in Edmonton and both my wife and I have dealt with them in the past.

I phoned around to about 9 differant firms, and they were quite differant in terms of prices and they were not competative at all which i found quite strange.

Anyway I Will let you know how we got on when we get there.

In the mean time good luck.

Costs about £2300, I am told that it will take about 8 weeks. They were very helpful indeed and I reccomend them (So far).

Paul
Old Dec 9th 2003, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just done it

Just moved all my furniture from Manchester to WInnipeg
It was a 3 bedroom ouse. Cost 3,300 pounds and everthing was great .
It all arrived in about 4 weeks and nothing broken.
We used Interdean., Very proffesional and helpful.
If you need more info. drop me a line