Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shall we or shan't we move to Ontario ?

Shall we or shan't we move to Ontario ?

Old Jun 14th 2003, 9:44 am
jfl
Just Joined

jfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shall we or shan't we move to Ontario ?

My husband may be offered a job on Mississauga, Ont. So I am doing a bit of general research.
We came over in May for 10 days for a look round, the first thing we noticed are house prices are exceptionally cheaper - we liked the look of Oakville - what is it like to live there ?

We were also told ( by a Canadian) that schools were not as good as the UK ! ?? (Our children are 10 & 7) - what do other people think ?
Which are the best schools ?

On our short visit, it seemed generally cleaner and safer than the UK - there didn't seem to be the graffitti and were also told that there wasn't the vandalism caused by a minority of teenagers that you get in the UK - is this the case ?

This is quite a confusing/daunting decision to make, so anyone who has already made the move - you experiences/advice would be of interest - thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shall we or shan't we move to Ontario ?

Originally posted by jfl
My husband may be offered a job on Mississauga, Ont. So I am doing a bit of general research.
We came over in May for 10 days for a look round, the first thing we noticed are house prices are exceptionally cheaper - we liked the look of Oakville - what is it like to live there ?

We were also told ( by a Canadian) that schools were not as good as the UK ! ?? (Our children are 10 & 7) - what do other people think ?
Which are the best schools ?

On our short visit, it seemed generally cleaner and safer than the UK - there didn't seem to be the graffitti and were also told that there wasn't the vandalism caused by a minority of teenagers that you get in the UK - is this the case ?

This is quite a confusing/daunting decision to make, so anyone who has already made the move - you experiences/advice would be of interest - thanks.
If you're coming across with a fair bit of equity from the UK then this could make a difference. It will enable you to get a house sorted out quite cheaply, and then the other living costs won't affect you as much. We didn't have any when we came, and as housing in Vancouver area is a bit more expensive we ended up living quite a distance out of town.
Personal taxes seem higher, indirect taxes lower. From my perspective the overall standard of living seems quite similar to the UK, with the proviso that if you're coming with a fair bit of equity it will go further over here.
I personally have never been to Oakville so I can't directly comment on that, beyond that I've heard some-one at work say that its a nice part of Ontario
Good luck!
Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:22 pm
jfl
Just Joined

thanks for replying, will look into the tax side of things
Old Jun 17th 2003, 7:45 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default industrial park

- you experiences/advice would be of interest - thanks. [/QUOTE]

Mississauga/oakville is torontos' 'factory belt' could be one reason for lower prices. imo toronto has way too many people & vehicles crowding it, is basically a real zoo. i did my time in hamilton/niagara falls, i wouldn't choose to live there but of course the job offer is a big factor & a stepping stone at least.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Mississauga isn't exactly my dream location to live, its right next to the airport and is very industrialised. I've never been to Oakville so couldn't comment. Alot of the towns in Southern Ontario are very industrialised right down to the US border. Hamilton is the suicide capital of Ontario and I can only think that is because it is so factory orientated that its depressing !

I wouldn't call Toronto a Zoo though! It is not crowded at all compared to cities like London or other places in the UK! I guess you are from NZ Travelling Kiwi so you're used to huge expanses of wide open space. Personally I like TO because its not that big and i feel it has open spaces! I couldn't live in a small town it would drive me crazy especially if there were lots of small minded people there.

Int.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 11:41 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Interested
Mississauga isn't exactly my dream location to live, its right next to the airport and is very industrialised. I've never been to Oakville so couldn't comment. Alot of the towns in Southern Ontario are very industrialised right down to the US border. Hamilton is the suicide capital of Ontario and I can only think that is because it is so factory orientated that its depressing !

I wouldn't call Toronto a Zoo though! It is not crowded at all compared to cities like London or other places in the UK! I guess you are from NZ Travelling Kiwi so you're used to huge expanses of wide open space. Personally I like TO because its not that big and i feel it has open spaces! I couldn't live in a small town it would drive me crazy especially if there were lots of small minded people there.

actually i also had the pleasure of residing in london for years (mid90's) and was driving around there a month ago. no i dont think london is a zoo compared to toronto. of course london like toronto or anywhere, is crowded around the touristy spots.
i would say actually most of the towns/cities along sth.ontario aren't overly industrialised at all. windsor/london are farming settlements besides the ford assembly plant by st thomas. niagara region a good example of agriculture/horticulture & tourism based industry but not the polluting factory zone really starts at hamilton with the 2 big steel plants & up along the lake thru to toronto.
if you like cities, just about anywhere else in canada is preferable for quality living.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 12:09 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I dont usually post on here, cos I'm hoping to move to Australia, but I thought I might have a bit of useful input.

I lived in Canada for 10 years, spent 2 years of it in Mississauga, and went to school there (2 years - finished high school)
(Previously I had attended a public school in Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK.)

When I arrived in Canada I was 15, and because they were of the opinion that UK schools were better, they put me in with a class of kids a year older than me. I think they think we're more advanced in the UK because kids can leave school at 16.

Anyway, I found the Canadian High School experience to be great. The amount of respect shown by pupils to teachers far exceeded what I had experienced in the UK, and the classroom atmosphere was really good. The kids were there to learn! There is a big emphasis on doing well, so students tend to work hard on getting good marks.

I'm back in the UK now, and I have to say - I dont have kids yet, but if I did, I'd rather put them through school in Canada than in the UK.

As for Mississauga, I lived there in the late 80's. I imagine it has grown since then, but I've been past it since, and I still think its a nice area. The suburbs are nice, the same as anywhere else. You don't have to live near the airport or the factories if you don't want to. You could move further North or West to get away from it all.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you like it there.

W.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 4:17 pm
jfl
Just Joined

Thanks to Travelling Kiwi, Interested and Wanderlust for taking the trouble to reply. I have been very interested in what you all have to say. - Thanks again
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:02 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

I also don't usually post here but I am a Canadian living in the UK hoping to move to Australia. I was born in the UK but grew up in Canada and did all my schooling there.

The only thing I can comment on about the difference between UK schools and Canadian schools is that my friends here in the UK seem to know more about history - world and UK history. In Canada we only learnt about Canadian history - which is good and interesting but it would have been nice to learn more about other countries as well. That's the only difference I really noticed.

I lived in North York another suburb-come-city of Toronto. My friend now lives in Oakville and she has a lovely house and really likes the area. But be prepared for driving everywhere. A friend of mine has just recently bought a brand new 3 bedroom house in Newmarket for the same price as what my little 2 bedroom flat in London costs. Mississauga just seemed ~ to me ~ a place with row upon row upon row of houses. Big houses yes but still just lots and lots of them. Newmarket is suppose to be very nice. So is Stowville (sp?).

V
Old Jun 25th 2003, 1:54 pm
jfl
Just Joined

Vee, thanks for the information, don't know much about Newmarket or Stowville, will have a look at them. When we went to Oakville we thought it looked nice and you really notice the difference in the house prices compared to the South East of Engand.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Stouffville....its a nice place but a bit far from Toronto and very rural!

Pronounced Stowville.

Int.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

JnQn is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a big decision.

Mississauga is a city in itself with some very nice areas -- yes there is an airport but take a look at a map and see how large Mississauga is -- not an issue in most parts. Oakville is a growing area with some really nice new developments -- very upscale in a lot of the areas. My personal opinion is that I would highly recommend Oakville - -but again, that is personal.

Another one is Bolton -- take a look -- developing area and the commute to Mississauga isn't bad. Prices are probably better than Oakville and it is a nice community.

As far as schooling goes, I can't help, but what I will tell you is that it is a pretty hot topic in some of the forums!

Couple of things to consider, based on my experience. If you come to Canada with some equity (as someone has said) you can really start off in a great situation. Things are cheaper, etc. The potential problem is that if this is short term / long term. If you are planning on moving back to the UK, keep in mind that while your disposable income/standard of living is probably higher here, but once you convert it to go back it might not have that same value. If your goal is a permanent move then no problem. Not sure what the offer is -- an expat / contract type position? If so then make sure your return to the UK is well covered. Saving Cdn$ then converting it to British Sterling can lose same value. The other way it is a good thing!

Good luck on the move.