Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Serving it right needed ? for Banff, Calgary ? And pub jobs ?

Serving it right needed ? for Banff, Calgary ? And pub jobs ?

Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Serving it right needed ? for Banff, Calgary ? And pub jobs ?

Hi Folks

Well im not to sure on this, Will I need a SIR Card if I find a bar to work in Banff or Calgary ? I go in weeks, I am staying at the hostel for a week in Calgary first. Do you think there is a good chance of me finding any work in Calgary ? Or should I head to Banff. Any opinions please ? I heard there are lots of bars even a Scottish one.

Also say i had to move to BC and get a SIR can I get this done in a day and print the certificate ? or does it take weeks.

Thanks
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serving it right needed ? for Banff, Calgary ? And pub jobs ?

Read this link for Alberta
ProServe Liquor Staff Training - Home
Old Dec 18th 2014, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Read this link for Alberta
ProServe Liquor Staff Training - Home

Thanks very much , Can I ask your advice.
Do you think its best for me to do this when im out there from the hostel computer. I leave in 3 weeks and because of Christmas etc new year they might try and post stuff to my home address. It seems like you have your results immediately. Also to you think they will be hireing anywhere in Calgary in the mid of Jan ? in Calgary or Banff, I would work anywhere.
Thanks
Old Dec 18th 2014, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris2222
Thanks very much , Can I ask your advice.
Do you think its best for me to do this when im out there from the hostel computer. I leave in 3 weeks and because of Christmas etc new year they might try and post stuff to my home address. It seems like you have your results immediately. Also to you think they will be hireing anywhere in Calgary in the mid of Jan ? in Calgary or Banff, I would work anywhere.
Thanks
You probably wouldn't be able to complete it with a UK address anyway so do it out there.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
You probably wouldn't be able to complete it with a UK address anyway so do it out there.
One less worry, cheers
Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:11 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

There are hundreds of bars in Calgary. January is usually a slower period after the holidays so will be hit and miss on finding work, but people quit or are fired all the time, so there's always the possibility of finding work.

Bear in mind that Canada is a table-service oriented bar experience, with "servers" (waiters/waitresses) taking your drink order at your table and returning with it a short while (hah - if you're lucky) later. This means that bars hire more servers and need less bar staff than in the UK, where of course the bar staff take orders, prepare drinks, and take money.

Last edited by Photoplex; Dec 18th 2014 at 7:14 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs down Re: Serving it right needed ? for Banff, Calgary ? And pub jobs ?

Originally Posted by Photoplex
There are hundreds of bars in Calgary. January is usually a slower period after the holidays so will be hit and miss on finding work, but people quit or are fired all the time, so there's always the possibility of finding work.

Bear in mind that Canada is a table-service oriented bar experience, with "servers" (waiters/waitresses) taking your drink order at your table and returning with it a short while (hah - if you're lucky) later. This means that bars hire more servers and need less bar staff than in the UK, where of course the bar staff take orders, prepare drinks, and take money.
Hi Thanks

Thats even better news I was a waiter for 2 years, and maths isnt my strong point for takin cash, so a server would actually be better, Do you know if they also need to sit this exam ? Or is that only if they are behind the tap.

Cheers
Old Dec 18th 2014, 11:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris2222
Hi Thanks

Thats even better news I was a waiter for 2 years, and maths isnt my strong point for takin cash, so a server would actually be better, Do you know if they also need to sit this exam ? Or is that only if they are behind the tap.

Cheers
You still need the certificate. At least, in BC you do.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You still need the certificate. At least, in BC you do.
cheers mate, best to wait I think.