Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Self Employed?

Self Employed?

Old Oct 9th 2015, 12:56 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Tbh not really!
Hmph...
Old Oct 9th 2015, 1:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Have you considered studying to be a Nurse Practitioner? /
My daughter took that course at the UofT and then one which qualified her to deliver anaesthetics (but legally only in the US). She enjoyed them both, they weren't immediately profitable for her but now she's engaged as a medical coordinator for an NGO in Iraq (technically self-employed) so I expect all training and experience comes in handy. I suppose I should ask about her billing rate, benefits and tax advantages but I'd likely get a jab along the lines of medical people having a vocation and being superior to those who care about such minutae.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Sorry for moaning
By all means carry on...I just latched onto jsmth's point about the hand that gives taking away.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea- I love Nurse Practitioners and their role is extending- we are just starting to work with them here again- we have done for years in the UK. Trouble is it would commit TT to even more study, exams and demands on her- she would never get time to post on expats!!
I was a bit surprised when I first arrived in Canada in 2004 and started seeing doctors again, where in the US it was rare to actually see a doctor as the NP was the one I always saw, I am not sure if I ever even saw the doctor I was assigned to over the 5 years I had that particular health insurance.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
So that wealthier people who don't need it pay a good chunk of it back?
They could always not apply for it.

Or just make it only taxable above a set income?
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

How rude! I've been practicing expat abstinence or haven't you noticed?!

I don't mind the study but wonder if you need to be an RN to go on to further studies? Link took me to a log in page only, but thanks anyway Siouxie..
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
A minimum of two years full-time practice, as a Registered Nurse, within the past five years BScN from an Ontario baccalaureate nursing program or the equivalent with an overall average of 70% (GPA).
Current certificate of registration as a registered nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
Preference will be given to Ontario residents and to those candidates whose work experience in nursing has been continuous and who have practical experience in one or more of the following areas: primary health care, ambulatory care settings, public health agencies, community health centres, emergency care, long-term care, or outpost nursing.

This is a limited enrolment program. Possession of minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.

NOTE: Applicants who have already achieved a Masters degree may apply solely for the NP diploma. Please note this in your Personal Essay and Curriculum Vitae.

Applying
The application deadline is February 1 of each year.

Its from the link the other person posted, took me to the admissions page.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:22 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by not2old
My guess is the government is giving you money for free
Paid for by her CPP conts. Pro-rata.

Just guessing that you would also likely qualify for your wife's CPP survivor pension?
Done at the same time. Only heard about the single payment.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:29 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
A minimum of two years full-time practice, as a Registered Nurse, within the past five years BScN from an Ontario baccalaureate nursing program or the equivalent with an overall average of 70% (GPA).
Current certificate of registration as a registered nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
Preference will be given to Ontario residents and to those candidates whose work experience in nursing has been continuous and who have practical experience in one or more of the following areas: primary health care, ambulatory care settings, public health agencies, community health centres, emergency care, long-term care, or outpost nursing.

This is a limited enrolment program. Possession of minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.

NOTE: Applicants who have already achieved a Masters degree may apply solely for the NP diploma. Please note this in your Personal Essay and Curriculum Vitae.

Applying
The application deadline is February 1 of each year.

Its from the link the other person posted, took me to the admissions page.
Is she now " The other person formerly known as Siouxsie??!!"

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 9th 2015 at 2:30 am. Reason: Added extra "the" for some weird reason
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Is she now " The other person formerly known as Siouxsie??!!"
Me being lazy and not wanting to open a new tab to make sure I spelled the name right....
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:56 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Either way in the words of Dragon's Den ... I'm Out!

About four years of study to get an RN, two years of practice then back to school again...
Old Oct 9th 2015, 3:07 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Either way in the words of Dragon's Den ... I'm Out!

About four years of study to get an RN, two years of practice then back to school again...
I kind of felt that that might be your thoughts- bajeezus - get to sleep... Tiddlytory will need feeding in 2 hours or is he on the already?

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 9th 2015 at 3:09 am.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 3:14 am
Muskoka, Ontario

I kind of felt that that might be your thoughts- bajeezus - get to sleep... Tiddlytory will need feeding in 2 hours or is he on the already?
It is sort of past my bed time, thankfully it's a PA day tomorrow and we have spent the night scouring the web for the best price home (there isn't one) husband is despairing at my lack of commitment as I leave the technicalities of whether we get our Expedia points or not to him..
Old Oct 9th 2015, 3:32 am
I need a walk

Christmas is the most expensive time of the year but remember what I said!!
Old Oct 9th 2015, 3:43 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Christmas is the most expensive time of the year but remember what I said!!
Something about the Spanish Inquisition?
Old Oct 9th 2015, 4:17 am
I need a walk

Nooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition... Our chief weapon is fear, surprise. and a ruthless fanatical devotion to the pope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.