Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Self Employed?

Self Employed?

Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:02 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
And of course you're right, it's the same everywhere... My fb feed full of UK and Ontario docs moaning demonstrate that. But just one little point- in the UK we don't have to spend thousands of dollars flying home to see everyone plus better the devil you know. The potential for my career advancement is way better in the UK compared to becoming an RPN here..
Re- Travel- this true indeed! But you I know have experienced, that there are massive upsides as well as downsides to living here- you just have to weigh them up and this certainly ain't easy! Progression in nursing here is archaic even for Canadian trained nurses- everything is way too Physician centric.. but that is another story. I thought that you were finally on your way in some small part with your recent exam go ahead- am I wrong? Unfortunately I think the role that you had in the Uk extended you and clearly you loved it- It sadly won't be replicated here any time soon and that amongst other things may be too frustrating to you. Working nurses here seem to accept that they need to adapt or presumably can't and then return to the UK or from whence they came. You never denied the rugby refererence... Butterflies in tummy yet?

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 8th 2015 at 8:06 pm. Reason: Paws for thought....
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:24 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Re- Travel- this true indeed! But you I know have experienced, that there are massive upsides as well as downsides to living here- you just have to weigh them up and this certainly ain't easy! Progression in nursing here is archaic even for Canadian trained nurses- everything is way too Physician centric.. but that is another story. I thought that you were finally on your way in some small part with your recent exam go ahead- am I wrong? Unfortunately I think the role that you had in the Uk extended you and clearly you loved it- It sadly won't be replicated here any time soon and that amongst other things may be too frustrating to you. Working nurses here seem to accept that they need to adapt or presumably can't and then return to the UK or from whence they came. You never denied the rugby refererence... Butterflies in tummy yet?
I am... The passing of the exam will give me the ability to work and earn some extra money thus taking the pressure off Dr TT. But unless I can find an Ontario based University to recognize my education and award me credits for me it I won't be able to bridge to RN which just leaves me as a jobbing nurse so to speak .. I had always thought I might be a Nurse Endoscopist in the UK.. It's difficult to decipher when you have kids/moved country how you feel about the loss of career prospects - I might have decided the impact on family life too big back in the UK to take it on anyway.. I suppose here it's the lack of choice.

Now to the rugby.... It's true, there are some nerves. Honestly if we can't beat Australia on Saturday then what chance do we stand at the cup. I honestly don't know what group we will face if we come in at second opposed to first. We have a friend here from NZ but originally Scottish and some English friends. It's almost like watching it with friends back home.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:43 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

The ball is both is both in your court and soon, on the pitch!
Old Oct 8th 2015, 9:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I think we're in a very different position to you guys.. But will message you privately. On a public note, the liberal government have announced that they're overspent on the health budget and they will clawback money from all doctors in Ontario. They will decide how much at the end of the year and then tell doctors and take it. Best scenario is 1% of overall earnings even though no doctor receives overall earnings. Worst scenario 10% and don't get paid for a month or two. If that happens there is absolutely no question that we will be returning home.
That's a bit shocking.

On the other hand there has been huge controversy lately over NHS junior doctors contracts (perhaps not your specific case) and reports of widespread defections to Canada and Australia!
Old Oct 8th 2015, 9:19 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's a bit shocking.

On the other hand there has been huge controversy lately over NHS junior doctors contracts (perhaps not your specific case) and reports of widespread defections to Canada and Australia!
The grass is greener effect... Like I said on subsequent posts I have both UK doctors and Ontario doctors going on about the government as friends on fb.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 9:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...the hand that gives also takes
Today I received $600 'death benefit' towards the funeral costs.

Taxable of course. Why would something like that be taxable?
Old Oct 8th 2015, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

You'd think it wouldn't be, but Canada seems to like to tax anything possible, including taxing taxes...
Old Oct 8th 2015, 10:25 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Sorry for moaning
Old Oct 8th 2015, 11:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

...Why would something like that be taxable?
So that wealthier people who don't need it pay a good chunk of it back?
Old Oct 9th 2015, 12:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I am... The passing of the exam will give me the ability to work and earn some extra money thus taking the pressure off Dr TT. But unless I can find an Ontario based University to recognize my education and award me credits for me it I won't be able to bridge to RN which just leaves me as a jobbing nurse so to speak .. I had always thought I might be a Nurse Endoscopist in the UK.. It's difficult to decipher when you have kids/moved country how you feel about the loss of career prospects - I might have decided the impact on family life too big back in the UK to take it on anyway.. I suppose here it's the lack of choice.

Now to the rugby.... It's true, there are some nerves. Honestly if we can't beat Australia on Saturday then what chance do we stand at the cup. I honestly don't know what group we will face if we come in at second opposed to first. We have a friend here from NZ but originally Scottish and some English friends. It's almost like watching it with friends back home.
Have you considered studying to be a Nurse Practitioner? My sister-in-law is one, she has worked in some weird and wonderful places - including Nunavut, where she had to saw someone's leg off as well as deal with day-to-day emergencies - and has had some fabulous experiences.

It would probably give you more career opportunities and more varied duties that a general RN. You can do the course part time or full time; study online and only have to go to the Uni a couple of times a month.

Just a thought.

Laurentian University | Nursing PHCNP (M.Sc.N.)
Ontario Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Program PHCNP - Admission Requirements
https://npao.org/
Old Oct 9th 2015, 12:05 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is the government is giving you money for free out of the big CPP pot of money from contributions made by folks who claimed the CPP as a tax deduction & for a future reward pension. CPP contributions are deductible from income

Just guessing that you would also likely qualify for your wife's CPP survivor pension?

Survivor's Pension - Canada Pension Plan - Service Canada
Old Oct 9th 2015, 12:15 am
I need a walk

Great idea- I love Nurse Practitioners and their role is extending- we are just starting to work with them here again- we have done for years in the UK. Trouble is it would commit TT to even more study, exams and demands on her- she would never get time to post on expats!!

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Have you considered studying to be a Nurse Practitioner? My sister-in-law is one, she has worked in some weird and wonderful places - including Nunavut, where she had to saw someone's leg off as well as deal with day-to-day emergencies - and has had some fabulous experiences.

It would probably give you more career opportunities and more varied duties that a general RN. You can do the course part time or full time; study online and only have to go to the Uni a couple of times a month.

Just a thought.

Laurentian University | Nursing PHCNP (M.Sc.N.)
Ontario Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Program PHCNP - Admission Requirements
https://npao.org/
Old Oct 9th 2015, 12:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

CPP Death benefit is paid out of the CPP contributions of the deceased.

Benefits after a death - Canada Pension Plan - Service Canada
Old Oct 9th 2015, 12:53 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Great idea- I love Nurse Practitioners and their role is extending- we are just starting to work with them here again- we have done for years in the UK. Trouble is it would commit TT to even more study, exams and demands on her- she would never get time to post on expats!!
How rude! I've been practicing expat abstinence or haven't you noticed?!

I don't mind the study but wonder if you need to be an RN to go on to further studies? Link took me to a log in page only, but thanks anyway Siouxie..
Old Oct 9th 2015, 12:55 am
I need a walk

Tbh not really!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.