Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

School cost for 4 kids

School cost for 4 kids

Old Nov 14th 2014, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School cost for 4 kids

Originally Posted by MillieF
I had a weeks charabanc holiday on that....

Actually, whilst it not be for every boy or girl, the Cadet programme is one of Canada's best kept secrets. The sea cadets...I think go from 8 years old, and the army and air cadets from 12. I could not afford to do all the things for my kid that he has been taught to do, and has become good at without cadets.

My son is going to the nationals for biathlon, they've taught him to ski and shoot, he's pretty proficient on a flute, and is doing the Duke of Edinburgh awards. He also happens to actively enjoy every moment of it. If you have a kid of the age to enter I would try them with one of the cadet programmes perhaps....my son was never a candidate....so I thought?

It is free, enhances their school work, and certainly in our case, provided the soil that allowed the planting of new roots in a strange country.
Originally Posted by Piff Poff
100% Agree, can't say enough good things about Cadets
My 2nd son went to cadets in the UK for a few years and thoroughly enjoyed it.
When we got to small town NS my 3rd son went and didn't enjoy it, he said it was really boring. At the same time my youngest went to beavers and suffice to say that whether it is cadets or scouts, it really seems to depend on the leaders as to whether it's a success or not.

Youngest didn't stay at beavers but fast forward 3 years and a move to Ontario and he is now in cubs and loves it to bits. He has a camp in a couple of weeks time and then another in January!!! On Saturday they are heading to the ROM for the day! So different!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

Looking ahead, if they are likely to attend university, tuition fees are cheaper than in the UK, though courses last 4 years rather than 3. Assuming they don't move to a different province to study.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:15 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the most expensive thing my kids do at the moment is Brownies and Guides - $95 each a year. Although they are about to start Drama and dance classes - dread to think what they'll cost!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 3:40 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie
Looking ahead, if they are likely to attend university, tuition fees are cheaper than in the UK, though courses last 4 years rather than 3. Assuming they don't move to a different province to study.
Cambrifge regional collegeehere I went many moons ago, charges 3600pounds for an HND/HNC per anum, DD is enrolled in Red Deer Colkege atm, a cost of $3000 per semester to do pre course courses, so about the same. DD has since decided she wants to go in a completely different direction so this last semester has been a waste of money, at leadt its now and not in 2 yesrs
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I think the most expensive thing my kids do at the moment is Brownies and Guides - $95 each a year. Although they are about to start Drama and dance classes - dread to think what they'll cost!
Wow, cubs in Ontario is $185 per year!!!!
Old Nov 21st 2014, 10:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I
Actually, whilst it not be for every boy or girl, the Cadet programme is one of Canada's best kept secrets. The sea cadets...I think go from 8 years old, and the army and air cadets from 12. I could not afford to do all the things for my kid that he has been taught to do, and has become good at without cadets.
Originally Posted by Piff Poff
100% Agree, can't say enough good things about Cadets
Good to know, my son is DESPERATE to join the Air Cadets, but he's only 7 and can't start until he's 13 in the UK! So just a few years for him to wait then.........
Old Nov 21st 2014, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Late to the party, but here's another vote for the cadets (air, in our case). For the sprogs that get really enthused/inspired there are scholarships available to various uni/tech programmes.

Participation "cost" me a lot of volunteer parent time (my choice & it was worth it), but no $$.

S
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 3:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Good to know, my son is DESPERATE to join the Air Cadets, but he's only 7 and can't start until he's 13 in the UK! So just a few years for him to wait then.........
Originally Posted by Shirtback
Late to the party, but here's another vote for the cadets (air, in our case). For the sprogs that get really enthused/inspired there are scholarships available to various uni/tech programmes.

Participation "cost" me a lot of volunteer parent time (my choice & it was worth it), but no $$.

S
Christmas...The navy cadets start at 7....there are all these little lovely weenies in uniform at remembrance....and then at 12 they join the army, sea or air cadet leagues.

Like Shirtback, tonight I was at cadets from 6-9 tonight (I'm parents committee) then tomorrow I am waving a tin (it's called tagging?) for 4 hours outdoors ....kids can't as they are doing a 2 day music seminar ...evening I lose my husband as he teaches them radio controlled modelism. Sunday, music seminar, but only half day and then back to do biathlon from 6 -9 on Sunday evening.
Do I get a bit fed up? Yes! But...my kid loves and lives this, nothing he does makes him happier!

This week, he had two days in seperate classes from the girls, where they all talked about sex and the different sorts of condoms, we did the same in France (but far less smutty and judgemental !).

The parents who put the time in here...get more than the time out with the kid, in a very different way.