Reload this Page >

Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Oiler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Originally Posted by caretaker
That's a rash generalisation, but it makes sense, if you disregard the million or so who like it there and have little to do with nature or the outdoors.
Thats a rash generalization, unless you really know the opinion of a million of Vancouverites.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 11:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Ideally a city would offer a varied mix of affordable activities....
How about downsizing yourself (like in the new movie) and jumping in to your aquarium and partying with the fish?
Old Dec 27th 2017, 6:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oiler
Thats a rash generalization, unless you really know the opinion of a million of Vancouverites.
Not really, I think I'm even estimating on the low side, since for every resident that goes skiing, hiking, boating etc there are probably closer to 5 or 6 that don't want to or just can't afford it, and not just one. Of those 5 or 6 out of the 2.5 million populaton some won't like it, but the fact that they haven't moved elsewhere means that a lot of them do. The adjacent outdoors is only one facet of life in the city.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Does nobody in Vancouver play Spot Dominic Da Vinci?
Old Dec 28th 2017, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Zooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond reputeZooper has a reputation beyond repute

Re the Christmas Market. My guess is that they charge an entrance fee because the plaza is run by BC Pavilion Corp, a Crown Corp. The Plaza is rented out for events, hence a fee.
The Christmas Market, from what I can find is a private company with 47 employees.
The plaza can be used free if "We welcome inquiries for booking the Jack Poole Plaza for special events. The Plaza is also available for community use to eligible community users a minimum of three days per month based on availability. For more information regarding community events, please click here or contact Jeff Hill at +1-604-647-7341 or [email protected]. For inquiries related to other special events, including filming, please click here or contact Anita Sodhi-Cavezza at +1-604-647-7343 or [email protected]."
Old Dec 28th 2017, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Not really, I think I'm even estimating on the low side, since for every resident that goes skiing, hiking, boating etc there are probably closer to 5 or 6 that don't want to or just can't afford it, and not just one. Of those 5 or 6 out of the 2.5 million populaton some won't like it, but the fact that they haven't moved elsewhere means that a lot of them do. The adjacent outdoors is only one facet of life in the city.

I think we are talking about perception of Vancouver ONLY from European perspective.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Left Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond reputeLeft Eye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Nobody goes to the theatre to get drunk. Completely unnecessary rules just for the sake of having rules...Vancouver.
Having worked in the theatre industry in London's West End for 13 years, I can assure you that some people go to the theatre to get drunk. Wine in pint glasses, urinating in the aisles, rude shouting in the middle of the performance - I've seen it.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 9:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are talking about perception of Vancouver ONLY from European perspective.
I have no idea what you mean.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Left Eye
Having worked in the theatre industry in London's West End for 13 years, I can assure you that some people go to the theatre to get drunk. Wine in pint glasses, urinating in the aisles, rude shouting in the middle of the performance - I've seen it.
I always thought the theatre was boring, maybe I should check it out after all!
Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

I have no idea what you mean.
What I mean is this is the opinion of the people who lived in different European cities and compare them to Vancouver.

My impression is that lots of Canadian born Vancouverites come from small towns and farms from all over Canada and typically do not travel the World, so they totally buy the hype of "living in the most amazing city on the planet" which they are being fed with everyday. And they do not question it.
If you take lets say a Spaniard from Barcelona who studied for a year in Berlin, his perception of the city would be totally different because of his previous experience and he will see it rather dull.
Except for the nature of course!!! Lol.
Or if you take guys coming from poor countries like Philippines or India, for them the city will be probably mind blowing...

That's why I wrote about European perspective.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

What I mean is this is the opinion of the people who lived in different European cities and compare them to Vancouver.

My impression is that lots of Canadian born Vancouverites come from small towns and farms from all over Canada and typically do not travel the World, so they totally buy the hype of "living in the most amazing city on the planet" which they are being fed with everyday. And they do not question it.
If you take lets say a Spaniard from Barcelona who studied for a year in Berlin, his perception of the city would be totally different because of his previous experience and he will see it rather dull.
Except for the nature of course!!! Lol.
Or if you take guys coming from poor countries like Philippines or India, for them the city will be probably mind blowing...

That's why I wrote about European perspective.
Originally Posted by Lychee
But I do agree that if you're not interested in pursuing a lifestyle that significantly involves immersing oneself in nature and wilderness, you will not enjoy Vancouver.

This is what I called a rash generalisation, nothing about Europe.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lychee http://britishexpats.com/forum/image...s/viewpost.gif
But I do agree that if you're not interested in pursuing a lifestyle that significantly involves immersing oneself in nature and wilderness, you will not enjoy Vancouver.

This is what I called a rash generalisation, nothing about Europe.
I do agree.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to Europe, my perspective on Vancouver is from a So. California perspective.

Even Milwaukee was nice place to live vs Vancouver...lol
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Even Milwaukee was nice place to live
Well, it has added attractions! Going there myself in '18.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:33 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zooper
Re the Christmas Market. My guess is that they charge an entrance fee because the plaza is run by BC Pavilion Corp, a Crown Corp. The Plaza is rented out for events, hence a fee.
One major issue is that the small area where they hold the market is not appropriate. I’ve spoken to a few people who have been this year or wanted to go and they all agreed it was tightly packed for the number of people going on.

I would guess most of the money is from tourists and/or people visiting family that live here.

Regardless IMO it’s not worth the $10 enterance fee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.