Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Old Dec 20th 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Originally Posted by biggayowl
Manchester wins hands down in terms of nightlife and culture. But then again both Dublin and Manchester have centuries head start on Van.
This is a bit of a cop out imo. Many North American cities that are no older than Vancouver can compete with European cities on nightlife and in many areas of culture (music/theatre/museums etc.). Part of my frustration with Vancouver is that it could be a much better city if it was not run so badly by people who seem to care more about restricting the lives of those that live in the city than making their city a global leader.

Vancouver does not have a problem with being seen as a "no fun city" because it is a relatively new city, it has this problem because of they way it is managed. That is the frustrating thing for me. It could be so much better.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 5:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Enigma368
This is a bit of a cop out imo. Many North American cities that are no older than Vancouver can compete with European cities on nightlife and in many areas of culture (music/theatre/museums etc.). Part of my frustration with Vancouver is that it could be a much better city if it was not run so badly by people who seem to care more about restricting the lives of those that live in the city than making their city a global leader.

Vancouver does not have a problem with being seen as a "no fun city" because it is a relatively new city, it has this problem because of they way it is managed. That is the frustrating thing for me. It could be so much better.
But it is what it is. Most Vancouverites like it exactly as it is. Cities are reflections of the people within them.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
But it is what it is. Most Vancouverites like it exactly as it is. Cities are reflections of the people within them.
That is a fair comment. You are right, if people like the way their city is, who am I to say it should be different. It just wasn't the city for me. Different strokes for different folks etc.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 8:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's still a nice place to visit.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver has hosted many Off-Broadway shows in Vancouver (I've personally seen 5-6) and many musical and other celebrities visit and perform (I've enjoyed many of my jazz favs). Also, every summer, there are street performances all around the city...especially in Yaletown.
And who can forget the Winter Olympics and many other sports that have previously, and currently, played in Vancouver's/lower mainland's many stadiums.
The Downtown/False Creek waterfront has many water venues from boat shows to dragon boat races and other fun water-sports/contests and there are numerous local cruises full of young people dancing on-board and enjoying their evenings and the scenery.

I agree about the housing situation and have written to the City Managers about the empty apartments I've noticed, and believe, are owned by non-citizens/non-residents.

If you have any suggestions or recommendations for the City Managers on how to manage it to be better? I'd be happy to convey that to them.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 3:58 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
My brother lives in Greystones and has since about 2010. Technically his address is in Knockroe, Delgany which is on the south side of Greystones I think. It is very nice there close to the coast, close to the Wicklow Hills.
I know it well, I was a few minutes away at Charlesland.

We got there just before the economy crashed in August 08. I went from being an artworker at an ad agency in central London to a few months later getting myself a Wicklow taxi badge just to get some work. The knowledge was quite difficult to pass. It wasn't financial rewarding but I did have some laughs driving all over Wicklow/Dublin with people singing in the back.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Fair point. I certainly think you can compare Van to Seattle, Portland or even San Fran. Similar climates, populations, ages. When I first moved to Van i was hoping it would be a Canadian Portland, and whilst it tries, it's a bit of a Portland lite.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 1:06 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
Fair point. I certainly think you can compare Van to Seattle, Portland or even San Fran. Similar climates, populations, ages. When I first moved to Van i was hoping it would be a Canadian Portland, and whilst it tries, it's a bit of a Portland lite.

Shyt...
Old Dec 24th 2017, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

This might not be of interest to anyone but I am going to share my thoughts on Vancouver in case it helps anyone thinking of moving there. I lived there for 18months with my partner after spending 8 years in London. The other city I have lived in is Dublin, Ireland. I have now moved to LA as of 2 weeks ago.

Vancouverites get incredibly sensitive at any criticism of their city(usually they respond by blaming the person criticising their city - e.g. they respond to people who call their city boring with witty comebacks like "only boring people get bored") but I ask them to please not get too sensitive about this.

Pros:

1) One of the most beautiful settings for a city anywhere in the world. Almost everyone agrees with this.

2) Very clean and for a fairly big city, not very busy. Great if you don't love big cities but need to live in one. Very chilled.

3) Easy access to nature/skiing/hiking. It is easy to go hiking in the mountains after work in Summer or skiing after work in Winter. Again great for those who don't love big cities but need to live in one.

4) Very, very family friendly.

5) If you like weed, it is easy to buy over the counter without prescription and the city is very weed friendly.

6) People are reserved but friendly.

7) Public transport is pretty good. We didn't need a car.

8) Eating out is much more affordable than other places in Europe/US.

Cons:

1) Rules, rules, rules. Vancouver and BC has to be one of the more rule driven places in the world. It drove us crazy. There are regulations on everything. Airbnb is banned, Uber is banned. There recently was an attempt to ban children's balloons in public parks. You cannot stand up or order from the bar in 90% of places - you have to be seated and served by a waitress/waiter. Most bars will stop letting people in once they get to about 60% full - compared to any other city I have been or lived. I lost count of the number of times I queued for an hour to get into a place, only to find it mostly empty. Most restaurants have to be a certain level of brightness which ruins any ambiance. My condo building elevator had an extensive list of things we were not allowed to do. I think some people see all these rules as a good thing but I hated it.

2) Linked to #1 above, Nightlife is very poor for a city of its size. I lived in Dublin for 6 years which is slightly smaller than Vancouver and Dublin nightlife blows Vancouver away. I have traveled fairly widely and I am confident in saying that Vancouver nightlife - while better than say Tulsa, Oklahoma, by in large sucks. The restaurant scene is better than the bar/club scene. On more than one occasion I was at a party on a Friday or Saturday night, where someone left at 10pm, making excuses that it was past their bedtime.

3) A city does not earn the moniker "no fun city" for no reason. That said, this really depends on what you regard as fun. It is subjective.

4) Hard to make friends. This is something even the more pro Vancouver people usually agree on. People are friendly but just a bit more reserved which makes it harder to make friends.

5) People rave about the restaurant scene but we found it to be fairly average. It is good for cheap, reasonable quality Asian food though.

I will say that I met many people who love Vancouver and many people who really don't love it. I think it genuinely suits some people and not others. The people who liked it on average tended to be from elsewhere in BC or Alberta, did not care too much about bars and clubs, loved the outdoors aspect of the city and more often tended to go to bed before 11pm.

The people who tended not to love it were generally younger expats. 90% of the time we met another expat - esp those without a family - from the UK or elsewhere, the first thing they would say about Vancouver is that "it is a bit boring here". Those that visited us could not understand how it was so quiet on Friday and Saturday nights.

So in short - I think Vancouver is a great city for some and not for others. The Economist made a splash a few years ago by calling Vancouver "pleasant enough, but mind-numbingly boring" - I don't think it is mind-numbingly boring but it is definitely on the tamer side of major world cities. Also 18 months is not a huge amount of time, maybe had we spent longer we would have integrated better and enjoyed it more.
Absolutely nailed it.

Linking into what you said about rules and what another poster said about journalism. One front page headline in a Vancouver newspaper "UBC theatre may one day get liquor licence". Front page.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
Absolutely nailed it.

Linking into what you said about rules and what another poster said about journalism. One front page headline in a Vancouver newspaper "UBC theatre may one day get liquor licence". Front page.
At the Queen Elizabeth theatre, where all the Broadway touring shows are held, they have numerous signs around the bar stating that "alcoholic drinks are limited to 2 per person". I have never seen any theatre anywhere else in the world having to limit the amount of drinks one could have. Nobody goes to the theatre to get drunk. Completely unnecessary rules just for the sake of having rules...Vancouver.

Last edited by Enigma368; Dec 24th 2017 at 9:40 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Here is another webpage that lists the pros and cons of moving to Vancouver: https://wemovetheworld.com/blog/pros...ing-vancouver/

Most notably:
If You’re Not Outdoorsy, You May Find it Boring. (One) blogger found that compared to Montréal, Vancouver has “no soul”.

Vancouver is about living healthy. It also has stricter rules that govern how frolicksome the nightlife can get. If you’re into staying fit and enjoying the great outdoors with activities like hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, sailing, and of course skiing, you’ll feel right at home.

Last edited by Enigma368; Dec 26th 2017 at 2:00 am.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Oiler is an unknown quantity at this point

If You’re Not Outdoorsy, You May Find it Boring.

This sums up Vancouver pretty well. My exact thoughts.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oiler
If You’re Not Outdoorsy, You May Find it Boring.

This sums up Vancouver pretty well. My exact thoughts.

Lots to do if the outdoors in your thing, otherwise not a ton to do.

Ideally a city would offer a varied mix of affordable activities.

I suppose I just got spoiled living in San Diego for so long, so much to do there including outdoor stuff minus skiing.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another webpage that lists the pros and cons of moving to Vancouver: https://wemovetheworld.com/blog/pros...ing-vancouver/
They make fair points, except they lose credibility by perpetually referencing the Rockies, a mountain range 500 miles east of Vancouver. (They mean the Coast Mountains.) It makes me think this was written by somebody compiling second-hand info rather than writing from experience, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

But I do agree that if you're not interested in pursuing a lifestyle that significantly involves immersing oneself in nature and wilderness, you will not enjoy Vancouver.

Last edited by Lychee; Dec 26th 2017 at 9:08 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
But I do agree that if you're not interested in pursuing a lifestyle that significantly involves immersing oneself in nature and wilderness, you will not enjoy Vancouver.
That's a rash generalisation, but it makes sense, if you disregard the million or so who like it there and have little to do with nature or the outdoors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.