Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Old Dec 12th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Review of Vancouver after 18 months

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

Funny you should mention about paying to enter a store because that was exactly the argument I used when I left a review for them on social media. Their comeback was 'We are not a mall, we are a private event'
They forgot to mention however that they are set up in a public space. In most countries I have ever lived they pass the cost of hosting onto the vendors who pay either a flat fee or a % of takings. Only in Vancouver do they have the balls to ask the consumer pay for privilege of spending their own money.

I haven't done the North Van Christmas one yet but they always put on a good set of night markets in the summer (again free entry, lots of food trucks, beer garden, local artisans, bands). Much better than the Richmond S***e market.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
They forgot to mention however that they are set up in a public space. In most countries I have ever lived they pass the cost of hosting onto the vendors who pay either a flat fee or a % of takings. Only in Vancouver do they have the balls to ask the consumer pay for privilege of spending their own money.
Winnipeg's christmas market was also pay to enter (on an upper disused floor of the bay flagship store). I didn't go, and got the updates from friends who queued in -15 to get into a crowded space not selling anything they wanted.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not good with heights then?
The heights aren't the problem, it's the falling and splattering that puts me off.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Enigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond reputeEnigma368 has a reputation beyond repute

one of the best quotes I ever saw came from this board and said something along the lines of Vancouver is a very average city in a wonderful setting. If you picked the city up and moved it to the middle of the Prairies it would be utterly forgettable.
One million % agree with this. I told my parents that there would be almost zero point to visit in Winter because they are too old to ski and really the city offers very little of interest indoors to make a Winter trip worthwhile. After a couple of days visiting mediocre museums, malls and going to restaurants, I really don't now what they would do(a drive up to Whistler or Tofino would work in Winter but I think overall it would be a fairly poor vacation). Vancouver is all about the outdoors (and does make a pretty decent summer vacation destination for that reason).

I also personally agree that Vancouver is by in large a soulless city.

Of all the city's I have lived in, I find Vancouver the most boring with little to do.

Some can say it's my fault
One thing that drives me nuts is that when a celebrity or someone else criticises Vancouver for being soulless or boring, Vancouverites instead of acknowledging the problem will blame the person with responses like "maybe you have no soul", or "only boring people get bored". It is a childish and unhelpful response. While I think it can be rude to go around criticising someone elses city, that kind of response really just sums up Vancouver. It would be better to acknowledge the problems and work on trying to improve the city.

Having been to the Philippines and Hong Kong, I am grateful for rules in public & privately owned spaces in large Canadian cities.
There is a balance between some rules that make sense and having so many rules that the soul of the city is crushed. Nearly every other western city manages it.

Last edited by Enigma368; Dec 12th 2017 at 6:12 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 6:07 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't done the North Van Christmas one yet but they always put on a good set of night markets in the summer (again free entry, lots of food trucks, beer garden, local artisans, bands). Much better than the Richmond S***e market.
Richmond S**** market . I went twice and lined up for awhile. Still not as bad as the Xmas market but the annoying tannoy music drove me crazy.

Looks like we missed the boat this year for the North Shore event - it was on Dec 2nd - it was Dec 14th last year

http://vancouversnorthshore.com/events/north-vancouver-christmas-festival/

The North Shore night market looks good though so next year I will try and make an effort to check this out.

Anybody recommend VanDusen Festival of lights or is this also a waste of time?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The heights aren't the problem, it's the falling and splattering that puts me off.
Don't go when there is a bunch of school kids rocking the bridge then

Is there nothing in NB like this then?
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Enigma368
One thing that drives me nuts is that when a celebrity or someone else criticises Vancouver for being soulless or boring, Vancouverites instead of acknowledging the problem will blame the person with responses like "maybe you have no soul", or "only boring people get bored". It is a childish and unhelpful response. While I think it can be rude to go around criticising someone elses city, that kind of response really just sums up Vancouver. It would be better to acknowledge the problems and work on trying to improve the city.
There's a really superficial element in this city. Don't get me wrong - some people are very very nice people (Although do not mistake politeness for genuine friendship or kindness!)

But that superficiality seeps into most things here - governments pay lip service and don't get things done, governments and municipalities from Burnaby to Vancouver to Port Moody are all in bed with developers and accept "donations" for their efforts yet no-one really seems to care, the news here is mostly covering sob stories ("CRY CRY The supermarket charged me $5 more") to bears and cats - no global emphasis or deep examination of political/economic/social matters, young people here who have never travelled outside Canada think that they are "it", the dating scene sucks because people are so closed off and suspicious, and the mile marker seems to be "I did the Grouse Grind today - I'm so cool"

Give me a break

I'm honestly starting to think (although I didn't appreciate before) that Europe is actually much more enlightened than the Americas.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

one of the best quotes I ever saw came from this board and said something along the lines of Vancouver is a very average city in a wonderful setting. If you picked the city up and moved it to the middle of the Prairies it would be utterly forgettable.

I still live here and have done for nearly 2 years. I still find it enjoyable but as the OP said the level of bureaucracy and wanting to control Every aspect of someone's life is astonishing. We will be moving to the North Shore in January (from Yaletown) as we prefer the less corporate, community feel up there.

For me add to the cons:
very poor driving standards;
government controlled corporations (BC Hydro, ICBC);
cannabis (I don't care what you do in your own home but I have the same right not to have to inhale someone's second hand smoke as they do to smoke it);
a city that is so in bed with developers and foreign interests it should be subject to an independent federal corruption audit.

Add to pros:
good cycling infrastructure;
easy access to the ocean;
cities programs for earthquake preparedness;
craft beer scene
Whereabouts North, Engineer, and are you renting? The house prices there are shocking. Traffic is also atrocious. It's a really nice community though, I agree.

When you say "cities programs for earthquake preparedness" - may I ask what you are referring to? I started a thread a while ago about earthquakes, apparently most people are not insured and which houses have earthquake enforcements? I recently googled around to see if there were any companies which did this and they are all on Vancouver Island - I presume there is no demand here!? Any thoughts on this topic?
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Whereabouts North, Engineer, and are you renting? The house prices there are shocking. Traffic is also atrocious. It's a really nice community though, I agree.

When you say "cities programs for earthquake preparedness" - may I ask what you are referring to? I started a thread a while ago about earthquakes, apparently most people are not insured and which houses have earthquake enforcements? I recently googled around to see if there were any companies which did this and they are all on Vancouver Island - I presume there is no demand here!? Any thoughts on this topic?
Renting in LoLo, just over Esplanda from the sea bus terminal. We are getting more space and lower rents than in Yaletown. Dont get me wrong it is still very expensive compared to other places. The city of North Vancouver has been doing a lot to speed up Condo building in LoLo area and it seems to be attracting more and more young professionals out of CoV, judging from what I see in my work place. I bike to work so traffic is not really an issue.

The city of Vancouver has an emergency preparedness program which is run by VFRS and CoV through the Office of Emergency Management. The do informative sessions through Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness Program (NEPP) as well as training volunteers to help their communities in both assisting first responders (neighborhood Emergency Assistance Team (NEAT)) and in Emergency Social Services (ESS)).
Volunteer to help in an emergency | City of Vancouver

If you want to know more please let me know, I currently sit in the Advisory board for the NEAT program and we are always looking for volunteers.

The main issue is that a lot of people don't want to think about the danger so they ignore it despite a lot of work to try and inform.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Engineer! Yes I remember there are a lot of buildings going up in LoLo - nice area

Re: earthquake, I think that is so great that you sit on the NEAT program. I'm not in the city itself so probably not feasible - do you by any chance know where I can find resources/info on how to prepare, and do you know anyone/company that helps with structural reinforcements? Do you believe these are necessary for example? (Cool! A real expert - I have been wanting to talk to one for a while )

Thanks
J
Old Dec 12th 2017, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

PS I'm such a dotard - I see the CoV website does have info.

That means the only question I do have (if you do know :P) is about structural enhancements for houses. We pay over $2K for insurance that covers earthquakes but I'm not sure it's worth it
Old Dec 12th 2017, 8:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We pay over $2K for insurance that covers earthquakes but I'm not sure it's worth it
Its not unless we have an earthquake. When who knows? Probably just after not renewing earthquake insurance!
Old Dec 12th 2017, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

PS I'm such a dotard - I see the CoV website does have info.

That means the only question I do have (if you do know :P) is about structural enhancements for houses. We pay over $2K for insurance that covers earthquakes but I'm not sure it's worth it
I would be surprised if you cant find anyone. I work in consultancy and mostly mining so I don't come across seismic engineers involved with retrofitting. The CoV does now require, as a condition of a building permit for renovations, that you spend a certain percentage on seismic upgrades. Someone must be doing the work. I imagine most people deal with the contractor who in turn works on your behalf with the engineer and architect.

Justice Institute of BC also has some good info as does the CERT program in the US.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe that Capilano Suspension Bridge on the North Shore is just over $40 per person to visit and lets not forget about the wonderful Christmas market - $10 admission and its cramped
But that $40 gets you 12 months' entry if you have a BC ID.

I can't understand why ANY market thinks that an entry charge is acceptable!
Old Dec 12th 2017, 9:31 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
But that $40 gets you 12 months' entry if you have a BC ID.
I did not know that and I’m actually surprised. I take it back but for tourists and visitors to the city that’s a lot of money
Old Dec 12th 2017, 9:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Pros:

World class fishing
Great sailing (easy access to marinas)
People are hilarious (not intentionally of course/riotously easy to wind up)
Great weather in July and August
Happy hour
Close airport
People are so badly dressed you save packet on clothes

Cons:
Price of stuff
Many people stink (might be the combination of damp weather and pot)
The poor and insular state of academia (admittedly a niche concern)
HID’s family

Last edited by Oink; Dec 12th 2017 at 10:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.