Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK

Returning to the UK

Old Oct 25th 2014, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Aqua_matt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to the UK

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

there's no way I'd want to raise my kids in the UK, if and when we have any...There's just too much red tape and it's an ever increasing nanny state. yes Canada may have some of this too but it's most definitely not as bubble wrapped as the UK.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua_matt

there's no way I'd want to raise my kids in the UK, if and when we have any...There's just too much red tape and it's an ever increasing nanny state. yes Canada may have some of this too but it's most definitely not as bubble wrapped as the UK.
What kind of red tape? It's actually a decreasing nanny state under the present government, maybe you ought to stay.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

yes Canada may have some of this too but it's most definitely not as bubble wrapped as the UK.
I think many on the forum would disagree with you. Perhaps those that aren't allowed to hang their washing outside, can't let their cats out, or drink alcohol even the day before work.

I think my recent favourite though was the thread from a forum member in which we learnt that government employees aren't allowed to wear scent/perfume to work.

The nanny state is everywhere, and at least in the UK you can have a beer on a Sunday or wear aftershave to your heart's content without the government telling you off!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 2:36 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think many on the forum would disagree with you. Perhaps those that aren't allowed to hang their washing outside, can't let their cats out, or drink alcohol even the day before work.

I think my recent favourite though was the thread from a forum member in which we learnt that government employees aren't allowed to wear scent/perfume to work.

The nanny state is everywhere, and at least in the UK you can have a beer on a Sunday or wear aftershave to your heart's content without the government telling you off!
Is there anywhere in Canada that one can't have a beer on Sunday ?
Lots of places are "scent free", not just government. I'm not so sure that's a bad idea with some of the overpowering stuff that's out there.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 2:44 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Eh???? Come to Canada because you want to but don't throw silly stuff around like that because it's nonsense..
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

I'm not going to argue or start a debate, I have enough of that on other forums. I will stick to my own thread in future.

Some will agree, some will disagree.. that's just the way it is..
understand people have opinions....we're on a forum and there will be plenty of them.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to argue or start a debate, I have enough of that on other forums. I will stick to my own thread in future.

Some will agree, some will disagree.. that's just the way it is..
understand people have opinions....we're on a forum and there will be plenty of them.
Exactly. If you don't want debate then this isn't the forum for you tbh!

Debates, conflicting opinions, questions/answers, banter, and good natured arguing are part and parcel of a public forum.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Is there anywhere in Canada that one can't have a beer on Sunday ?
See other threads, examples given of not being allowed to drink alcohol within 24 hours of starting work. Dbd33 iirc??

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Lots of places are "scent free", not just government.
I realise that, I used it as an example, as the government in the UK is the one being accused of making it a 'nanny state' - so my example was to show that the Canadian government is just as capable!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know....have you experienced living in Canada? I note your wife is Canadian...so maybe you're going on hearsay?

No matter how well you think you know a country...you really have no idea until you have actually lived there.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Exactly. If you don't want debate then this isn't the forum for you tbh!

Debates, conflicting opinions, questions/answers, banter, and good natured arguing are part and parcel of a public forum.
Don't get me wrong, I love a good heated discussion... but don't think it appropriate for me to start in under 10 posts. lol
I'm a well seasoned forum user so know the score...
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Don't get me wrong, I love a good heated discussion... but don't think it appropriate for me to start in under 10 posts.
As long as you've got a few posts under your belt, you'll avoid being labelled an antagonistic troll. So crack on.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:47 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

See other threads, examples given of not being allowed to drink alcohol within 24 hours of starting work. Dbd33 iirc??
Rules like no alcohol for 24 hours prior to starting work is hardly "nanny state" stuff. How would you feel if I showed up to take you on a flight reeking of alcohol ? Not too thrilled I suspect. Rules like that are generally for the protection of the public.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How do you know....have you experienced living in Canada? I note your wife is Canadian...so maybe you're going on hearsay?

No matter how well you think you know a country...you really have no idea until you have actually lived there.
yes I probably am going on a bit of hearsay from her...but I do trust her judgement.. As she has experienced 2 sides of the pond. As well as the in laws.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

I am here to learn as well,so rather than brand what I say as nonsense..educate!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I am here to learn as well,so rather than brand what I say as nonsense..educate!
I'm not sure it's really anyone else's job to educate you, but go on, what do you want to know? I don't think what you say is nonsense, but considering the size of Canada and the diversity of the UK and Europe, I think for every UK Nanny state example you'll likely find someone on here with a similar Canadian example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.