Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK

Returning to the UK

Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Chrissy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to the UK

Hi Everyone. Just want to say massive thanks for all your comments and advice, I do really appreciate it and apologies for my late reply!
Didn't mean to make the suburbs sound bad just meant whether we stay or go we will have to move house.
I have taken onboard what you have said about citizenship and we have decided to apply for it as wouldn't want to miss that opportunity.
My husband is a Plasterer so we feel confident that he could get work in UK. However we have decided to stay at least another year to 18 months to apply for citizenship and also save some money and then perhaps return to UK for 2 years to see what it is like. I just think it is something I need to do for myself and maybe it will 'get it out of my system'. Then we can make a final decision to stay or come back to Canada, hopefully without any doubts!
Thank you again!
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

I live in the UK and would recommend that anyone contemplating coming back here makes sure they have their Canadian Citizenship sorted out first.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eliscolin
I live in the UK and would recommend that anyone contemplating coming back here makes sure they have their Canadian Citizenship sorted out first.
Any particular reason?
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:16 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shard
Any particular reason?
Mainly so you can always come back if you wish. The idea is that you do not let circumstances, paperwork etc stop you from changing your mind. I always try to stop people from going "oh well I'll never use this so I won't go for it" when it comes to immigration/citizenship matters, because a lot of people, including me, changed their minds.

My main motivation for getting Canadian Citizenship is just in case I decide I want to later go back to the UK (but the opposite could be true as well)
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hpka
Mainly so you can always come back if you wish. The idea is that you do not let circumstances, paperwork etc stop you from changing your mind. I always try to stop people from going "oh well I'll never use this so I won't go for it" when it comes to immigration/citizenship matters, because a lot of people, including me, changed their minds.

My main motivation for getting Canadian Citizenship is just in case I decide I want to later go back to the UK (but the opposite could be true as well)
Ok, good thinking.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hpka

Some other good reasons:

(1) Naturalized Canadian citizens can pass Canadian citizenship onto any children born outside Canada.

(2) Canadian passport holders have an easier time travelling to and from the US (no need for ESTA or visas) and can stay in the US for longer as visitors.

(3) Canadian citizens are eligible for the TN visa which allows for easier entry into the US to work there.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 2:22 am
Banned

Buttquest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chrissy22
Hi Everyone. Just want to say massive thanks for all your comments and advice, I do really appreciate it and apologies for my late reply!
Didn't mean to make the suburbs sound bad just meant whether we stay or go we will have to move house.
I have taken onboard what you have said about citizenship and we have decided to apply for it as wouldn't want to miss that opportunity.
My husband is a Plasterer so we feel confident that he could get work in UK. However we have decided to stay at least another year to 18 months to apply for citizenship and also save some money and then perhaps return to UK for 2 years to see what it is like. I just think it is something I need to do for myself and maybe it will 'get it out of my system'. Then we can make a final decision to stay or come back to Canada, hopefully without any doubts!
Thank you again!
have you tried the local church

there tends to be lots of activities and social events to get engaged in
Old Oct 24th 2014, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

My advice to anyone on here thinking of returning to the UK never burn your bridges...particularly if you have a valuable Citizenship to a country like Canada, Australia or NZ, all of them first world English speaking countries.....a lottery win in its own right.

Only a fool would leave without first sorting out the ability to return. A year or two back in the UK and most people would realize this country (UK) has little to offer them.

Admittedly no place is perfect but some countries have a future and many others don't.

Unfortunately I am trapped here by virtue of my age (49) otherwise I would be living in either of the above mentioned countries. I was fortunate to live in South Africa and Australia in my teens and regretted the fact that my parents never sorted Citizenship out before leaving.....hence don't make this mistake!

I do however have a dual British/ South African passport my wife has a Brazilian/ British Passport and we have maintained our various Citizenship's. It is highly unlikely that we will go to either of those countries due to politics/ crime etc.....but the option is always there.

...but leaving a clean spacious nation like Canada for the UK, I would think very carefully first.

Apologies for the rant....if I offended anyone that is not my intention.

Last edited by eliscolin; Oct 24th 2014 at 3:07 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 3:03 pm
Yo

Admittedly no place is perfect but some countries have a future and others (UK and Europe) don't.
Why's that? Do you know something we don't? Europe (which includes the UK) has been through a rough patch economically lately, but it's still one of the best places in the world to live. Good mix of capitalism and state healthcare, excellent education, decent food, rich culture, lively cities, beautiful countryside. No problem with Europe's future IMO.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

In regards to the UK - over-population, poor infrastructure and general quality of life. Far to many people in this country, the place is creaking at the seams.

Most of Europe apart from Germany, Britain and perhaps Scandinavia are in deep recession. Doubt whether that will change within the foreseeable future.

Nope if I was young enough I would be out of here.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 4:34 pm
Yo

In regards to the UK - over-population, poor infrastructure and general quality of life. Far to many people in this country, the place is creaking at the seams.

Most of Europe apart from Germany, Britain and perhaps Scandinavia are in deep recession. Doubt whether that will change within the foreseeable future.

You could always move to a smaller town or somewhere rural in Britain. It's not all over populated or cracking at the seams.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolg2712
For me, the pull is towards Canada. I was born in England, went to Canada as a baby, and when I was 7, I had the rug pulled from under me when we were supposed to be going to England for a vacation to see our family, but when it came to return home, my mum wouldn't get on the plane so I've spent most of my life in England, and yet, I still feel the pull of Canada. In some ways it doesn't make sense to me, I have a lovely family, a nice house, and a good job, so why would I give all of that up for a "pipe dream", and in a way I can appreciate how you might be feeling. It probably isn't much help in terms of your question - but it is nice to know that people aren't alone in any indecision.

I would pursue Citizenship as suggested if you haven't already as I recently discovered that due to my becoming a Canadian Citizen as a 6-year old, my certificate is still valid and my kids qualify for Citizenship by Descent so I know I'm not necessarily time-limited in making a final decision as I'll only need to provide sponsorship for my husband (although a final decision sooner rather than later would be good as my kids work their way through school here).
Were you born in Canada? If not your kids won't get citizenship through descent I thought..
Old Oct 24th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a pretty shocking Panorama program on BBC iPlayer recently about people living below the poverty line in the UK. The program stated that, for the first time in history, the majority of people living in poverty in the UK are actually working. There are lots of low paid jobs that don't pay a living wage. Wages have not kept place with inflation or productivity increases and so many more people have fallen into the poverty trap because of that.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 8:20 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I watched a pretty shocking Panorama program on BBC iPlayer recently about people living below the poverty line in the UK. The program stated that, for the first time in history, the majority of people living in poverty in the UK are actually working. There are lots of low paid jobs that don't pay a living wage. Wages have not kept place with inflation or productivity increases and so many more people have fallen into the poverty trap because of that.
This is true, they are called the "working poor". On the low wage thread (long title) in the Maple Leaf Forum we have been discussing this issue.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Were you born in Canada? If not your kids won't get citizenship through descent I thought..
Not so. The poster you quote said she became a Citizen when she was six. Assuming her kids were born somewhat later than that, they are Canadian Citizens by descent.

Her grandkids if they aren't or weren't born in Canada wouldn't be though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.