Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Resume Advice - Legal right to work

Resume Advice - Legal right to work

Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Resume Advice - Legal right to work

I'm redoing my resume and applying for jobs in Calgary from the UK. Ive read online two trains of thought:
  1. Write on the resume that I have PR but I am in the UK
  2. Leave off current location as it puts employers off
Whilst i can understand leaving my current location off, I'd prefer to be clear about my situation.
Are there any opinions on where it would be best to state that I have PR and I am currently in the UK on a resume?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resume Advice - Legal right to work

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I'm redoing my resume and applying for jobs in Calgary from the UK. Ive read online two trains of thought:
Whilst i can understand leaving my current location off, I'd prefer to be clear about my situation.
Are there any opinions on where it would be best to state that I have PR and I am currently in the UK on a resume?
We included our German address on my wife's resume and clearly stated in the top section of the resume and on the covering letter that we had PR status and the right to work in Canada.

She applied to 5 firms and got 4 interviews, so it didn't do her any harm. Also, that was in NS, where everyone says there are no jobs.....

How it will work with engineering firms, I don't know (but I look forward to seeing how you get on for my future reference)! Good luck!
Old Oct 11th 2017, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

They will likely be able to work out that you are not in Canada by your email address or your contact telephone number.

I suggest you do 1. and provide them with a short sentence in your covering letter as to when you anticipate arriving in Calgary.

I know a few engineers here, including ones that "qualified" outside of Canada. I'd be happy to assist you with your networking.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 6:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, tell them you are legally able to work in Canada and have PR so they know you won't be off in a year or so.

Legally they can only ask if you can work they can't ask what kind of visa you have.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice everyone, much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I know a few engineers here, including ones that "qualified" outside of Canada. I'd be happy to assist you with your networking.

I would really appreciate that thank you. I've tried adding a few people on LinkedIn to network, but I think they must think 'why is this random British guy adding me' because very few accept.

Any advice they could offer would be great.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice everyone, much appreciated!

I would really appreciate that thank you. I've tried adding a few people on LinkedIn to network, but I think they must think 'why is this random British guy adding me' because very few accept.

Any advice they could offer would be great.
haha linkedIn stalking
Old Oct 12th 2017, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
haha linkedIn stalking
Exactly 😂
I've had people try to randomly add me and I've thought... Who the hell is this!
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:21 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

We put a Canadian address and signed up for Canadian "forwarding" phone numbers so that we looked like we were in Canada. This is simply because my husband's notice period was only 4 weeks and he would be willing to have his last day on a Friday, fly on a Saturday, and start work Monday... so we figured that was best. He also put it clearly under his address that he was a Permanent Resident, and included in his cover letter that he was a new PR to Canada and looking for work in Toronto. It otherwise would have been obvious from his experience he was in the UK as in the experience section, he had 2011-PRESENT in the line for his current role, which was obviously in the UK.

He was also more open with recruiters and headhunters about the situation, since they could help deliver the message.

Worked fine for both of us.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
We put a Canadian address and signed up for Canadian "forwarding" phone numbers so that we looked like we were in Canada. This is simply because my husband's notice period was only 4 weeks and he would be willing to have his last day on a Friday, fly on a Saturday, and start work Monday... so we figured that was best. He also put it clearly under his address that he was a Permanent Resident, and included in his cover letter that he was a new PR to Canada and looking for work in Toronto. It otherwise would have been obvious from his experience he was in the UK as in the experience section, he had 2011-PRESENT in the line for his current role, which was obviously in the UK.

He was also more open with recruiters and headhunters about the situation, since they could help deliver the message.

Worked fine for both of us.

Thanks
I've sent a few applications off now and will be continuing to send more. Hopefully someone will give me some interest.
The forwarding number is a good idea.