Reload this Page >

Research on relocating to Canada

Research on relocating to Canada

Old Oct 20th 2017, 11:48 am
Just Joined

opelotis is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Research on relocating to Canada

Hi everyone,

I am currently living in the UK and i want to buy land in British Colombia and build a few houses on the land. The idea is to relocate my family as we are all tired of living in different countries as we never get to see each other.

One main house (2 bed) ideally is required along with 4 "granny flats" that or outbuildings (not sure what its called in canada) which are 2 bedrooms each.

The land looks cheap but i am clueless as to how to proceed. I know planning permission is required, but does anyone know the process of this ? Can you recommend contractors ? what will be a rough cost to put this up and how long will it take ?

Thank you.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Research on relocating to Canada

Cart before the horse perhaps?

What immigration status do you and your family have? Assuming that you are not Canadian citizens nor have Permanent Residency, how do you plan to obtain those things to enable you to enter the country to live on your property?
Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

opelotis is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies i should have re-iterated as the subject line does say its "research"

I am currently applying for my visa (in the process of gathering documents etc).

But i just wanted to see what the cost of this project would be. This will weight up if i should move over once my visa is approved or if i should stay in the UK for a little while to build our home before we move.

But thanks for the post.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 1:04 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by opelotis
Apologies i should have re-iterated as the subject line does say its "research"

I am currently applying for my visa (in the process of gathering documents etc).

But i just wanted to see what the cost of this project would be. This will weight up if i should move over once my visa is approved or if i should stay in the UK for a little while to build our home before we move.

But thanks for the post.
That could be a how long is a piece of string scenario.... All I do know for sure is that unless you are personally are a builder the average home could cost more to build yourself than to buy already built and lived in by someone before you. I found this out by researching building our own home.
In short land purchase costs, clear cutting, water, sewage, hook up to electrical and gas if using, municiple fees of the area are just the start up to consider. If you dont have legal status in BC you may not get financing or it would be more expensive....
This is my take as an average person with little to zero technical knowledge in this area....
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The Zoning of the land will determine if you can build any sort of house on it.

If it is zoned for housing, the price of the land will reflect this.

For construction cost you are looking at an typical $250 per square foot or $2400/m2 of floor space.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Land is usually cheap in remote locations Land in BC in urban areas is anything but cheap. Farmland in the Lower Mainland is around $100,000 an acre right now. Land zoned for building in LM cities, more like $1m an acre and up.
West Georgia Chevron gas station sold for $72 million | Daily Hive Vancouver

Building costs around $200 a square foot. Farm land is unlikely to be taken our of the Agricultural Land Reserve. Subdividing land for building and rezoning to residential is pretty pricey too. Buying a small lot and having your own house built is doable.

Look up:
Subdividing BC
Rezoning property BC
Agricultural Land Reserve
Foreign buyers tax BC

If you have millions behind you this is doable.

From your research methodology, I would be doing a lot more leg work, on the ground before proceeding with a project like this.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

From past experience of ourselves and friends .......... it could be possible to buy say 10 acres zoned recreational land in BC

BUT you then have to jump all the hoops of getting that land zoned to have more than one house built on it. This would then be followed by getting all the municipal licenses to build what you what as you want ........ and that can be harder and more expensive to obtain for recreational property as licence fees are a source of income for the local council. The local town council that we came under for our cabin insisted that any improvements that cost more than $400 needed a permit and several inspections by an inspector who had to travel 120km round trip ............ we of course would have to pay for the permit and for the inspector's time.

Local contractors made sure that no job they did for anyone cost more than $400 even if it had to be done in stages!

You would be thinking in terms of installling a sewage system such as sewage field or tank, both require much testing before you even start building to ensure that there is an adequate drainage ratio of the ground, depth of install the tank. After the sewage field or tank is built then you enter the delightful world of keeping it working, finding a company to empty the tank.

Next step would be to install a well ........ if no available stream that you can access (permits from local and provincial authorities needed, and determination of whether it is or might be a fish-bearing stream), then you have to drill a well, install water lines to each of the houses, and a generator to raise the water and take

All this because you are unlikely to find a plot of land which has services laid to it or easily laid.

As an example ........... we owned 20 acres with no services. There was no way to get sewage or water lines, but there was a telephone line about 3 km away. Ten years ago, we were quoted $1,000 per km to extend the line to the property line .

There are several "compounds" around BC that I know of.

Then you should think about what might happen if you decide to (or have to) sell the property. It could be much more difficult to find other people who want such a property, and subdivision of the land into separate properties for each house could be very complicated and expensive
Old Oct 21st 2017, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree with Atlantic Xpat that this is "cart before the horse" as I assume from your post that your kids are adults and ALL of you need visas.

Howefamily is a typical experience. It can cost a lot more to build your own home. It will cost substantially more as a foreign family new to the area. I would suggest you spend 2, 3, maybe even 4 years in the proposed location first. Small towns run on word-of-mouth and that is how the best land gets sold too, off-listing and through people talking, not through a brokerage listing. That is also how you find the best contractors and so on.

You will see what the people who have been there 100 years do. Do what they do but it will take time to build those relationships to access that information.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly o/t but did you know that you can buy a house from a chain of hardware stores pretty much anywhere in Canada? It rather surprised us, and you might find it useful to get a vague idea of hardware costs - though you need to find someone to put it up.
Beaver Homes and Cottages - Bungalow
I should stress that we've not used them and have no idea what the quality is like! I guess that will also depend on how many bits are left over when the contractor puts it together...
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie
Slightly o/t but did you know that you can buy a house from a chain of hardware stores pretty much anywhere in Canada? It rather surprised us, and you might find it useful to get a vague idea of hardware costs - though you need to find someone to put it up.
Beaver Homes and Cottages - Bungalow
I should stress that we've not used them and have no idea what the quality is like! I guess that will also depend on how many bits are left over when the contractor puts it together...
I didn't know that!

I've seen these (which include smaller properties) - they offer complete packages including set up - there are companies that offer a similar service in BC

Browse New Home Floor plans

Land costs would be extra, of course.

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

not only land costs .............but permits from the local council, inspector fees, installation of sewage, water, electricity etc if not already supplied to the land.

There are lots of companies around that build log cottages and homes, and some are actually cheaper than Beaver ....... finding a local company means less spent on cartage fees.

For example, there were at least 5 log home builders within a 100 km range of our cottage ...... and that includes the 60 km distance between it and the nearest "large" town (ca 5,000 people)
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

One other thing that most of us do not investigate before buying recreational property, whether it be ΒΌ acre, 1 acre or 100 acres, is the question of insurance.

Most recreational property is not covered by services such as ambulance, first responders, fire protection, etc, because it lies outside the boundaries of service by the local village that has such services. Remember that most fire services (in BC at least) are voluntary firemen.

Even the RCMP wouldn't come and inspect our property when we had a break-in ...... we had to go to the local detachment at the town 60 km away, make a full declaration of what was missing, they gave us a case number based on that and said they would keep an eye open.

We could have used the case number to make a claim from the insurance company, except that no insurance company would cover the property because we had no fire coverage or a hydrant within 100'.

Talk about a catch 22!
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 9:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
We could have used the case number to make a claim from the insurance company, except that no insurance company would cover the property because we had no fire coverage or a hydrant within 100'.
Within 1000' of a hydrant and 5 km from a fire hall.

http://www.news1130.com/2015/08/17/a...r-rural-homes/

https://www.tdinsurance.com/products...m-calculations

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 22nd 2017 at 9:20 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

There was a place in southern Nova Scotia for sale a couple of years ago. It consisted of 5 little houses, all in beautiful condition on a few acres on a lake front.
They only wanted approx $800,000, if not less, I can't quite remember.

Maybe you should look at something like that?
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, I was trying to remember back 10 years .......

..... 100' or 1000' makes no difference when you are 60 km from the nearest hydrant!!

Even the First Nations Reserve plus 2 of the 3 small communities between our property and the "big" town did not have hydrants.

There was a Volunteer Fire Brigade in the community 40 km away.

That brigade had a small water tanker truck, the "big" city had a large water tanker truck but only went about 5-10 km outside its boundaries.

The point is that few of us even think about such things when we see the "coveted" piece of property.

Neither do we think about what would happen if a member of the family or a visitor had an accident while there. In some cases, it could be as difficult as walking to the farm gate, and waiting for someone to drive by on the way to the little community on the lake or to the summer picking ground of the First Nations ........ that could be within 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Plus there wasn't any cell phone service, as is also the situation in many areas of BC.

I've posted as I have because we had the experience of buying a piece of property that could indeed have been able to support several cabins or cottages, did have dealings with the local council re permits, discovered the problems of living off grid. We had that property for 17 years, loved all our time there ........... and learnt a lot!

........ and I am not sure that the OP is aware of what their dream means in real life, or if they have even been to BC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.