Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting a house prior to moving?

Renting a house prior to moving?

Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting a house prior to moving?

Hi All,

We're hoping to move to Burlington,ON later this year and I was wondering if it would be possible to rent a house before we arrive. It would be so much easier to fly in, pick up the keys and move in within a few days than to live in an hotel for weeks. We're seasoned travellers and have done this a few times so I'm aware of the pitfalls. The benefits however are many, if it's possible. I've read that it can take weeks and that competition for housing is fierce but slowing slightly.

Do I have to join that battle or can I do my legwork before I arrive?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 7:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a house prior to moving?

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Hi All,

We're hoping to move to Burlington,ON later this year and I was wondering if it would be possible to rent a house before we arrive. It would be so much easier to fly in, pick up the keys and move in within a few days than to live in an hotel for weeks. We're seasoned travellers and have done this a few times so I'm aware of the pitfalls. The benefits however are many, if it's possible. I've read that it can take weeks and that competition for housing is fierce but slowing slightly.

I'd suggest getting a real estate agent to look for you - much safer and more likelihood of success. There's a couple of members who may be able to help with that - hopefully they'll see your post.

Best of luck with your move - Burlington's lovely!

Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

There is nothing to say that you can't sort out the rental before you arrive, however landlords can be very picky about who they take and they want to see things like credit history (which you won't have for Canada) and employment letters. Even with employment, people new to a job tend to be more of a risk because generally there is a probationary period.

The way around this with new arrivals is often to meet the landlord, and this frequently leads to a lease being signed. You won't be able to do that, and it's likely that a landlord with another option will go that way.

A property where the landlord doesn't have another option, in Burlington which is very popular, is likely to have more than a few issues.

Having said that, when we came, albeit in a much quieter market, it was a company transfer and the company were paying the rent so we did find a place before we came and moved in on arrival. Even then some landlords didn't want to know. You don't say what your particular position is, obviously the stronger your financial position the more likely the landlord is to accept you.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice

We have been very lucky and have found a new build developer who is currently building a development of houses to lease out. They won’t be ready until mid to late May but it’s one less thing to worry about. We contacted a few agents who were very helpful we also looked on kijiji but was also very awear of scammers.

Good luck on your house searching
Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people take a longish term rental with Airbnb and long for something when they're here.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Some people take a longish term rental with Airbnb and look for something when they're here.
That's exactly what we are doing. We managed to get a 2 month rental with Airbnb on a house that accepts dogs.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheNorms
We have been very lucky and have found a new build developer who is currently building a development of houses to lease out. They won’t be ready until mid to late May but it’s one less thing to worry about. We contacted a few agents who were very helpful we also looked on kijiji but was also very awear of scammers.

Good luck on your house searching
Thanks, was this new build in Burlington?

I think our position would be as good as any except we won't have a Canadian Credit rating. I'm really just trying to move any more than I have to.

Thanks for the feedback....I think I'll start making contact with some registered agents and see how that goes.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice

Thanks, was this new build in Burlington?

I think our position would be as good as any except we won't have a Canadian Credit rating. I'm really just trying to move any more than I have to.

Thanks for the feedback....I think I'll start making contact with some registered agents and see how that goes.
Unfortunately not, agents are definitely the best way to start looking. We were limited as we have a dog but after the initial panic we found our house. Our Landloard wanted to see my job offer and the acceptance documents from the province. If you have an employer to go to they may be able to help or even spread the word your looking.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to see some of the replies here, has certainly given us something to think about down the line.

We planned to go over with renting ideally within the first week (ie, line it up before we go) like OP is hoping, but we will probably not have a job offer in place at the time since (according to other threads), employers don't take you seriously until you are actually there, for the most part.

Looks like finding somewhere to rent, with 3 cats, with like no job offer, is going to be quite a hurdle down the line for us.

Sorry to hijack, not intentional.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes

Sorry to hijack, not intentional.
No worries, we're in the same boat :-)

We won't land without a job which will be difficult enough. We also have a daughter who plans to study at college in Canada. It's a minefield trying to work out the best visas. We're coming from Singapore which is why I was hoping to find a house before we arrive as we have personal effects to ship and I really just want to land and set up and get on with my life.

Best of luck with your own move.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 1:33 am
Just Joined

slevers is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Bluescotty, not sure where you are up to with your move and how many resources you have, but realtor.ca is a good website to start with. Having said that, the realtor market here is quite odd, realtors represent you, and help you find somewhere. They drive you around (yes, really) and book all the viewings for you too. You will pay the same whether you have a realtor or not, but the person representing you does take a cut of the fee. They have a reputation of being quite ruthless. The realtors also have access to properties coming on the market before they are listed on realtor.ca by about 1-2 days, enough for the best listings to go, as we learned from bitter experience. For our rental, they wanted to see the job offer documents, the working visa, the Do you have any considerations like transport/schools/area? I am in Oakville so might be able to help you. If you need recommendation for a realtor we used a lovely older lady who actually listened, I can pass you her details if you like. Rentals almost always switch on the 1st of the month too, not mid month just so you know. PM me if you want to talk a bit more, I'm in Bronte so know the area well.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 3:40 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
That's exactly what we are doing. We managed to get a 2 month rental with Airbnb on a house that accepts dogs.
We're doing exactly the same, moved in on Monday and its great.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slevers
HI Bluescotty, not sure where you are up to with your move and how many resources you have, but realtor.ca is a good website to start with. Having said that, the realtor market here is quite odd, realtors represent you, and help you find somewhere. They drive you around (yes, really) and book all the viewings for you too. You will pay the same whether you have a realtor or not, but the person representing you does take a cut of the fee. They have a reputation of being quite ruthless. The realtors also have access to properties coming on the market before they are listed on realtor.ca by about 1-2 days, enough for the best listings to go, as we learned from bitter experience. For our rental, they wanted to see the job offer documents, the working visa, the Do you have any considerations like transport/schools/area? I am in Oakville so might be able to help you. If you need recommendation for a realtor we used a lovely older lady who actually listened, I can pass you her details if you like. Rentals almost always switch on the 1st of the month too, not mid month just so you know. PM me if you want to talk a bit more, I'm in Bronte so know the area well.
Hi sorry hijacking OP we are moving over in June (hopefully just waiting on husband's TWP) we have been in contact with a couple of realtors o
ne never even got back to us and the other one has sent us details of applications etc but has only sent us a couple of properties to look at. We have a dog which I believe may complicate things but we will get references from our agent and landlord over here. My husband has a job lined up through an ICT. Would you be able to recommend an agent over there who is reliable as we would like to line up a house for when we land fingers crossed. TIA
Old Apr 5th 2018, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I imagine it is possible but desirable could be open to debate. I think the Air B'n'B suggestion would be better so you can look at neighbourhoods and decide you want to live there before signing yourself into a year long lease.

However, from the UK, we made contact with some of the bigger rental firms in Halifax to build up a bit of rapport with them. We had no problem, as a result, getting a decent place.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slevers
If you are renting in a rental building then its likely that they will rent from the first of the month. However if you use the realtor.ca route, then the tenancies can and do start any time. After all if a property is vacant the landlord is going to want to get someone in as soon as he can and not leave it sitting until the first of the month, and many private landlords like to wait for a tenant to leave before advertising a property to rent so they can spruce the place up and thereby get the maximum rent. Places with tenants in situ generally don't show as well as they might. Given that the landlord is limited by how much the rent can be increased once a tenant is in, its important to get the best rent he can at the start.

The good news is that its possible to get into a place quite quickly (within a week) if its already vacant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.