Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renewing OHIP Cards

Renewing OHIP Cards

Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing OHIP Cards

Good Evening Folks,

Today I tried to renew our families OHIP cards in my local Service Ontario centre. My wife, three kids and I already have our cards and we received the notification to renew which is fine. Up until today we were on work permits however I have just received our COPR documents in the mail. The attendant told me that unless I had my P.R card that I would have to visit a Full Service Ontario centre to be able to renew. Is this correct??
I only ask as I never have had much luck in this office. If they are not condescending then they normally just look like they wouldnt work even on batteries. I dont know how they get through the day!!

Would I be better to activate my COPR documents first and then go back?

Also I presume that I am going to need to change my social security number now that our P.R has come through?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Farmboy
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing OHIP Cards

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Good Evening Folks,

Today I tried to renew our families OHIP cards in my local Service Ontario centre. My wife, three kids and I already have our cards and we received the notification to renew which is fine. Up until today we were on work permits however I have just received our COPR documents in the mail. The attendant told me that unless I had my P.R card that I would have to visit a Full Service Ontario centre to be able to renew. Is this correct??
I only ask as I never have had much luck in this office. If they are not condescending then they normally just look like they wouldnt work even on batteries. I dont know how they get through the day!!

Would I be better to activate my COPR documents first and then go back?

Also I presume that I am going to need to change my social security number now that our P.R has come through?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Farmboy
Yes re the SIN. Currently you will have one that starts with a 9 which means temporary.

As for the OHIP maybe it’s similar as the one you have is based on your temporary status.

I’d just flagpole and get it all done. You know you love dealing with the burocracy!!
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah they mean you have to go to a government Service Ontario, not a private one. These are only open during the working week also. They'll only do renewals or new PR OHIP applications they told me at the weekend. My wife who is renewing (but been away in UK), and me with new OWP, have to go to a government one.

I'm guessing your case isn't straight forward enough for them. Their bar is pretty low.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

PS I just came from a Service Canada. They wouldn't give me a SIN card.

I had the email from CIC saying work permit is in the post (spousal OWP) and tried my luck with this and the work permit serial code, etc.

Apparently it's the piece of paper which is sacrosanct (much like your PR card). The CBSA officer had offered to print it off when I flew in a couple of weeks ago, if it was ready (it wasn't). Tempted to go back to Pearson and beg a favour

If they don't have joined up computer systems to check then surely fraud is possible.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

All done and dusted.

Flag poled and then bit the bullet and hit two Govt Depts in one day (I was on a mission). Got health cards renewed and then new SIN numbers.
I actually feel like I have accomplished a lot in the space of two days!! A weight has been lifted off.
Now onto the next stressful situation. I am sure there is one!!

Regards

Farmboy
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_PA
PS I just came from a Service Canada. They wouldn't give me a SIN card.

I had the email from CIC saying work permit is in the post (spousal OWP) and tried my luck with this and the work permit serial code, etc.

Apparently it's the piece of paper which is sacrosanct (much like your PR card). The CBSA officer had offered to print it off when I flew in a couple of weeks ago, if it was ready (it wasn't). Tempted to go back to Pearson and beg a favour

If they don't have joined up computer systems to check then surely fraud is possible.
Yep - no such thing as a SIN card anymore. They just print a single sheet off with your card number and that's it.