Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renewing my U.K. passport

Renewing my U.K. passport

Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing my U.K. passport

I am a British born Canadian citizen and want to renew my
expired U.K. passport.

I have printed out the passport application, and am a little
confused about Section 3 A-"Has the person named in Section 2 had any sort of passport (British or otherwise) before?" Answer yes. Go to Section 3B.

Section 3B: "You must send us all un-cancelled passports."

I have an expired red U.K. passport and a current Canadian passport.
Does this mean that I have to send the U.K. passport office not only my
expired U.K. passport but my current Canadian passport?

Any help appreciated.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 6:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing my U.K. passport

You can ignore that instruction. You do not have to (and absolutely should not) send a foreign passport. At most, you should send a copy.

There's always the chance something like that might be required if there are doubts about either your identity or your claim to British citizenship - but it's not usual. Especially not for a renewal. However, they prefer not to explain this ....
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 4:07 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

I notice the forms and instructions have changed recently — the application now goes to the UK. The new checklist does ask for originals of foreign passports, although it admits that copies might be acceptable if you provide an explanation. I wonder whether that's a change in policy or just an overzealous instruction.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 4:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
I notice the forms and instructions have changed recently — the application now goes to the UK. The new checklist does ask for originals of foreign passports, although it admits that copies might be acceptable if you provide an explanation. I wonder whether that's a change in policy or just an overzealous instruction.
It dates back some time. Because U.K. birth and marriage certificates are unrestricted, the Passport Office are concerned that someone illegally in the United Kingdom might obtain a U.K. birth certificate belonging to another person and apply for a British passport in that name. So they like to see good proof of identity and (for someone in the United Kingdom already), how that person got to be in the U.K.

However, the original of a non-British passport should never be sent away like that. Unless you're happy to be without it for weeks and unable to travel anywhere (at best) or at worst, having to admit to your own government that a foreign government has lost your passport.

There has not been one single reported case of a British passport being refused because a foreign passport has not been supplied. That could of course change, but it's the case for now. You should take the risk. Normally, if you are living outside the United Kingdom, your local passport is a lot more important document than a British one.

Sometimes, when dealing with government, you should not take everything at face value.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Supply a photocopy. If the passport examiner has doubts as to your identity then they can request the original but it's highly unlikely that they'll do that if it's a bona fide renewal. These guides are written to try and cover every eventuality including applicants from countries with high incidents of fraud such as Somalia and Pakistan.

Remember the British government doesn't know you have another passport. Not every Briton living overseas holds dual citizenship and even if they do there's no reason why you would necessarily hold the passport of your other nationality.