Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport from Canada

Renewing British Passport from Canada

Old Jul 13th 2016, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing British Passport from Canada

Hi there

I have just been on the renewal website and I see that one of the supporting docs is a copy of your uncancelled non UK passport.
Has anyone else who has Canadian and British Passports done this? any issues ?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport from Canada

They don't need your non-UK passport. I just replaced my British passport a couple of months ago, and I certainly wasn't going to send them my US passport.

They didn't ask, it wasn't an issue, and I don't think they even know I have a US passport.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Natmicstef is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes...it is not a problem being a dual national - just photocopy all the pages of the non uk passport and send with your application.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:51 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

They ask for copies of every page, not the original, though they say they reserve the right to ask for the original. From the "Supporting Documents" notes:
Uncancelled non-British passports:
Please send us a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages). We retain the right to ask for the original passport. We will let you know by email or post
if we need you to send it to us

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 13th 2016 at 4:54 am.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, how long did it take to get one.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Thanks all, how long did it take to get one.
Mine took eight days (mailed Tuesday, received in the Wednesday mail) a couple of months ago, but that was UK-UK, so add the additional time to/from Canada.
Originally Posted by kimilseung
They ask for copies of every page, not the original, though they say they reserve the right to ask for the original. From the "Supporting Documents" notes:
But how do they know you even have another passport? Or indeed do they? As I said above I didn't send my US passport, nor a copy of it, and they didn't ask about it, object, or delay issuing my new UK passport.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 14th 2016 at 2:59 am.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As I said above I didn't send my US passport, nor a copy of it, and they didn't ask about it, object, or delay issuing my new UK passport.
You probably won't know of the problem it caused until you discover you're on a no fly list.

Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But how do they know you even have another passport? Or indeed do they? As I said above I didn't send my US passport, nor a copy of it, and they didn't ask about it, object, or delay issuing my new UK passport.
I stated what they require, what they ask for, whether you can get away with non-compliance is a separate issue.

The general culture on this forum is to help people to keep to the law or keep to procedures in dealing with matters involving or linked to immigration and , I try to keep to that culture.

It is possible to ignore or circumvent many rules, laws or procedures. That possibility doesnt mean we dont point out what the official rules are.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I stated what they require, what they ask for, whether you can get away with non-compliance is a separate issue.

The general culture on this forum is to help people to keep to the law or keep to procedures in dealing with matters involving or linked to immigration and , I try to keep to that culture.

It is possible to ignore or circumvent many rules, laws or procedures. That possibility doesnt mean we dont point out what the official rules are.
I agree, you are entirely correct.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

DURHAM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello , please post a link to forms/fees for renewing our British Passports . I live in Surrey , BC . Whats the processing times & would it make it quicker if i went across the border to Blaine & mailed from there ?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by DURHAM
Hello , please post a link to forms/fees for renewing our British Passports . I live in Surrey , BC . ....
Is Google broken today?

Let me Google that for you: <renew British passport overseas>
..... Whats the processing times ....
about 3-4 business days, plus shipping - a couple of months ago it took eight days for my passport - mailed on Tuesday, returned back in the Wednesday mail, but that was UK-UK.
..... & would it make it quicker if i went across the border to Blaine & mailed from there ?
I doubt it, but if you're worried about time you could FedEx or UPS it and get it there within 24-72 hours depend on what you're willing to pay.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 15th 2016 at 5:51 pm.