Reload this Page >

Relocating to Calgary: Family Advice

Relocating to Calgary: Family Advice

Old Oct 19th 2014, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Confused Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Calgary: Family Advice

Hi All,

So after a few months of interviews I've now received a formal job offer to move from the UK to Calgary however I have a few concerns. We're a family of 3 (for three more months) with myself, wife and a three year old daughter. We have a little boy on the way as well, due early January, and the current plan would be to move out in February.

I've been offered $80k which after researching I know would be tight but doable along with a small relocation fund of $5k. We've been considering renting in Chestermere as family are there but does anyone have any unbiased opinions on Chestermere as a place to raise a family? Should we consider alternative communities?

Also are we mad to be considering moving out so soon after the birth of our son? Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Thank you for any responses in advance, it's greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Calgary: Family Advice

Originally Posted by Confused Brit
Hi All,

So after a few months of interviews I've now received a formal job offer to move from the UK to Calgary however I have a few concerns. We're a family of 3 (for three more months) with myself, wife and a three year old daughter. We have a little boy on the way as well, due early January, and the current plan would be to move out in February.

I've been offered $80k which after researching I know would be tight but doable along with a small relocation fund of $5k. We've been considering renting in Chestermere as family are there but does anyone have any unbiased opinions on Chestermere as a place to raise a family? Should we consider alternative communities?

Also are we mad to be considering moving out so soon after the birth of our son? Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Thank you for any responses in advance, it's greatly appreciated.
Hello, I've no personal experience of Chestermere but I did suggest there, among other places to look, to another poster and somebody else came on and said it's a very expensive area.
But there are very few rentals available in Calgary and they get snapped up quickly.
Sorry can't be more help.
Good luck.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am in NW Calgary - I don't know if it's a bit cheaper here than Chestermere. I prefer the NW so if you have any questions about it then please fire away. I can't help you much with the Chestermere question but can probably allay other fears you may have about Calgary in general?
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Where will you be working? Take into account the commute from Chestermere.

I can't think that Chestermere would not be a good place to bring a family - all of the good communities around Calgary seem to have a lot going for them - Airdrie, Cochrane, Okotoks or Chestermere. It's just whether you want to drive in.

And I'm sure with a new baby, there will be groups your wife could meet up with. Very young kids is in fact the most ideal way to meet new people.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Chestermere wouldn't be my first choice of towns outside. In you must be in a local town, my prepference would be Cochrane, Okotoks, Airdrire then Chestermere.

The lake looks nice. But you are so much further from the mountains and mountain views and I'm not that much taken with all things prairire. Chestermere has lots of powerlines. Thought it was cheaper TBH. Depends where you will end up working.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Confused Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply guys, it gives us a lot to think about. I'd be working in the SE near Douglasdale. Chestermere was our main thought because my wifes mum lives there which I think would help her settle quicker.

What are peoples thoughts on the salary? My salary would be our only income and it looks like babies and toddlers get expensive out there, especially when the majority of our income will be on rent (circa $2k)
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confused Brit
because my wifes mum lives there which I think would help her settle quicker.
It's a no brainer then, if mum is going to be around and involved regularly?
If not, Okotoks would also be Ok for a commute. Will your wife be working in the foreseeable future (I know she's just about to have a baby)?

$2k rent sounds a lot but that's probably low to average for a family home.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

People do it on less, but what is the point in coming to Calgary if your quality of life sucks? Child care can cost around $12,000 per year per child, and then if you are commuting from Chestermere, you are going to need something more than an old banger! My wife makes $85,000 a year, and we still need my salary to give us a lifestyle where can eat out and have weekends away.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well if your MIL lives in Chestermere, then it makes sense. Otherwise Okotoks or I wouldn't rule out some of the SE suburbs.

Salary sounds a little tight to me, doable but tight. Start up costs are pretty high here and you have preschool costs to factor in too.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes wonder about the advice given on this forum on threads such as this.

Chestermere is a 10-15 min drive from Calgary. A route along Glenmore Trail would aid your route to the SE and, unless you wish to travel regularly to the mountains, it will not affect your life to live there. Even if you wished to travel to the mountains every weekend, using Glenmore/Crowchild/Highway 1 early in the morning would not be a deal breaker for me.

$85, 000 a year will be fine as a starting salary. When we first arrived in Calgary, we had a $250,000 mortgage and 3 kids which we were able to support on $55,000. We were able to eat out regularly, so I have no idea how people are unable to do so on $85,000 + a year.

I am a family lawyer in Calgary. Many couples with kids earn far less than $85,000. If postings on this board are to be believed, they live a subsistence lifestyle.

If your mum is able to assist with the children, it seems a no brainer to me.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 3:07 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to think about is how will your wife get around with the kids while you are at work. If her mum can transport her then that's great as no public transport for getting around Chestermere.

If you could get transit to work by living in a close by SE suburb eg Douglasdale, McKenzie Lake, McKenzie Towne, Quarry Park, New Brighton, etc, then it could give your wife use of the car during the day nd a bit more independence and flexibility so she doesn't have to rely on her mum all the time.

Just speaking from experience as we got a second car once the kids came along because its not always easy to get about on foot and transit in the middle of winter!

Chestermere was recently in the news because they were holding a vote on whether to go for city status in the hope it would bring in better facilities and services for residents and funding towards such services. If you want leisure centre, libraries, choice of shops, indoor play places, etc, and want to be closer to them then SE Calgary suburbs might fit that side of things better but still be close enough to mum.