Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red seal Electrican construction

Red seal Electrican construction

Old May 23rd 2017, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Larina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red seal Electrican construction

Hi all has anyone out there sat the red seal electrical exam in construction just looking for some advise for the exam.
I have purchased the Canadian electrical code book but it's so different to the UK.
Thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 2:38 am
Just Joined

mantasuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Red seal Electrican construction

Hey! I'm an Electrician from UK, London. I could give you some advice on a code book. Have you studied the book at all? There is kinda special way to understand the code book and to find what are you looking for. Have you sat the exam yet? Have you been approved for exam? Get ready it's a real kick in the balls, much harder then UK
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Bini is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mantasuk
Hey! I'm an Electrician from UK, London. I could give you some advice on a code book. Have you studied the book at all? There is kinda special way to understand the code book and to find what are you looking for. Have you sat the exam yet? Have you been approved for exam? Get ready it's a real kick in the balls, much harder then UK
Can you please tell us the way to study it and which website do I have to buy the book, and the other thing is
Am applying for Express visa and one of the agent I spoke
with he told me I can work as Electrician in Canada for some time with out passing red seal test is really possible? Thanks a lot
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Larina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi yes I have purchased three books and also an online app which has a data base of questions it's pretty hard because of the terminology. I have the exam booked for July so hopefully will pass it it's like the 2391 but obviously a Canadian version.
Have you done it already ?
Old Jun 4th 2017, 2:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bini
the agent I spoke
with he told me I can work as Electrician in Canada for some time with out passing red seal test is really possible? Thanks a lot
It is not. You can work under the supervision of a journeyman electrician, but not alone unless you have passed the exams.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 3:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Larina
Hi yes I have purchased three books and also an online app which has a data base of questions it's pretty hard because of the terminology. I have the exam booked for July so hopefully will pass it it's like the 2391 but obviously a Canadian version.
Have you done it already ?
Yes I have done my exam last year August 2016. Is the app called CSA electrical tool?
It's not like 2391, if I remember 2391 is testing exam, here is different as you can see in the questions too. This exam has 100question and it could be clearly about anything with electrical and even building code. From wire colors and sizes to motor, transformer systems.
Failed my exam by 2marks first time, second time passed it. Which province are you writing your exam? By the way what passport do you hold, British?

Last edited by mantasuk; Jun 4th 2017 at 3:29 am.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Can you please tell us the way to study it and which website do I have to buy the book, and the other thing is
Am applying for Express visa and one of the agent I spoke
Yes, you can work without your license. When you get approved by ministry of trade they will give you 30day temporary electrical license, but how much does it help? Will you be ready for exam in 1 month? It took me almost a year to pass it and failed first time. You can work, but you will not be employed for the company. You have to open your own business in other words become self-employed, get clearance certificate and sign up with WSIB and then you can do whatever you like.
Don't dream big. Most likely it's not going to happen right away, especially if you have no Canadian experience in the trade nobody really wants you. To start with I would recommend to get most important tools for the job and look for a small company, they don't pay great, but you have a job to start with which will pay your bills and you'll be getting tons of experience which will help you a lot more to understand and prepare for the exam.
I don't know if you do, but don't think about union jobs and big job sites for the moment.. I've tried a few times and they always ask for your status in the country and your license with relevant experience and here commercial jobs are totally different then UK commercial sites.. Unless you know some one, who knows someone then your chances are bigger... I started with a small company working for 18$p/h with 1 guy and my boss, roughing in houses and some commercial. This is what I would recommend doing.
1* open your own company, self employed business.
2* they will ask you what type of business you will be doing. I said handyman at first and my % on insurance was 16% and then changed it to electrical right away. They will not ask for your license, you can tell them that you doing low voltage systems and video cameras, it falls under the same business category and low voltage systems do not require license.
3* now you paying only 6%
4* go online and search for ESA Contractors, I'll add the link at the bottom. You will find all the companies and contractors which are registered with electrical authority. You can even search by your local area. Get their details, call them up and see if you can get a job. Tell them you have electrical background, you have your own wsib, tools and you're looking for some work. Much bigger chances this way. Or try classifieds like: kijiji, craiglist. https://findacontractor.esasafe.com/

This is how I did it and it all worked just fine.
By the way all this info is for Ontario province, Toronto. Not sure about the other provinces. If you have more questions, always ask. I'll try to help
Old Jun 4th 2017, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mantasuk
Yes, you can work without your license. When you get approved by ministry of trade they will give you 30day temporary electrical license, but how much does it help? Will you be ready for exam in 1 month? It took me almost a year to pass it and failed first time. You can work, but you will not be employed for the company. You have to open your own business in other words become self-employed, get clearance certificate and sign up with WSIB and then you can do whatever you like.
Don't dream big. Most likely it's not going to happen right away, especially if you have no Canadian experience in the trade nobody really wants you. To start with I would recommend to get most important tools for the job and look for a small company, they don't pay great, but you have a job to start with which will pay your bills and you'll be getting tons of experience which will help you a lot more to understand and prepare for the exam.
I don't know if you do, but don't think about union jobs and big job sites for the moment.. I've tried a few times and they always ask for your status in the country and your license with relevant experience and here commercial jobs are totally different then UK commercial sites.. Unless you know some one, who knows someone then your chances are bigger... I started with a small company working for 18$p/h with 1 guy and my boss, roughing in houses and some commercial. This is what I would recommend doing.
1* open your own company, self employed business.
2* they will ask you what type of business you will be doing. I said handyman at first and my % on insurance was 16% and then changed it to electrical right away. They will not ask for your license, you can tell them that you doing low voltage systems and video cameras, it falls under the same business category and low voltage systems do not require license.
3* now you paying only 6%
4* go online and search for ESA Contractors, I'll add the link at the bottom. You will find all the companies and contractors which are registered with electrical authority. You can even search by your local area. Get their details, call them up and see if you can get a job. Tell them you have electrical background, you have your own wsib, tools and you're looking for some work. Much bigger chances this way. Or try classifieds like: kijiji, craiglist. https://findacontractor.esasafe.com/

This is how I did it and it all worked just fine.
By the way all this info is for Ontario province, Toronto. Not sure about the other provinces. If you have more questions, always ask. I'll try to help

sooooooooooooo ........

.......... how do your jobs pass the necessary building inspections??

How do you even get the permits to do the jobs if you don't have the necessary Canadian "papers".

How many houses have been set on fire by your work?
Old Jun 4th 2017, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
sooooooooooooo ........

.......... how do your jobs pass the necessary building inspections??

How do you even get the permits to do the jobs if you don't have the necessary Canadian "papers".

How many houses have been set on fire by your work?

Before making this type of statement you should think a little more what I said. Like I posted, you work for the company, you don't take jobs by yourself. When I started I wouldn't even feel confident to take a job under my name. I was to scared. Now I learned a lot and I do take small privates. You always work under someones supervision. They do not have to be there all the time. Someone tells you what to do, how to do it and of you go, but you don't have to register with a company to get some work in electrical trade.
Your company pulls a permit under their name, boss or foreman brings you materials, tells you what needs to be done, shows you blueprints and that's it. I don't see any trouble with this, do you??
Surely if you're brainless and you have no clue what you doing then you may set the house on fire. Then I would highly recommend to change your trade but if you're electrician from back home as most of us are with a few years experience in the trade, I'm sure you'll know your do's and don's
You can always sit at home, thinking I can't do it and wish for the best or just go work at Timmy's, no brainer
Old Jun 4th 2017, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Drew001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Larina

In answer to your base question I actually sat the Red seal exam in BC February 2017. Luckily I managed to pass but just. I found it to be harder than any of the exams I have sat in England including 2391. I did very much the same as you bought the code book and the little on-site guide and purchased a data base of questions. After three months of practice and revision I still went into the exam believing that the result could go either way. I found some of the more difficult parts to be motor theory something that I personally haven't really looked at since training many years ago and as previously mentioned the exam covers everything from this to best working practices and building regs, its a bit like combining two or three of the exams we over here sit.

Two points to note that hopefully might help.

1. I was not allowed to use the on-site guide so avoid practicing with that (even though it does stipulate that you can)

2. The actual test followed a path from the start of the code book to the rear. This was in contrast to the way that the practice exams I purchased worked. Therefore once I realised this I was at least able to ensure that I was looking in the correct section.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 4th 2017, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Drew001
Hi Larina

In answer to your base question I actually sat the Red seal exam in BC February 2017. Luckily I managed to pass but just. I found it to be harder than any of the exams I have sat in England including 2391. I did very much the same as you bought the code book and the little on-site guide and purchased a data base of questions. After three months of practice and revision I still went into the exam believing that the result could go either way. I found some of the more difficult parts to be motor theory something that I personally haven't really looked at since training many years ago and as previously mentioned the exam covers everything from this to best working practices and building regs, its a bit like combining two or three of the exams we over here sit.

Two points to note that hopefully might help.

1. I was not allowed to use the on-site guide so avoid practicing with that (even though it does stipulate that you can)

2. The actual test followed a path from the start of the code book to the rear. This was in contrast to the way that the practice exams I purchased worked. Therefore once I realised this I was at least able to ensure that I was looking in the correct section.

Hope this helps
Are you working in BC right now Drew001?
Yes study the code book, learn your sections, it will save you a lot of time if you know exactly what are you looking for.
I also enrolled for Pre-Exam course. I spread it over 2 months I think. Every Sunday or you can have 2 weeks everyday, costed around 500$ and it helped me a lot to understand the code book and some building codes.
Also used this tool, which is super helpful and only cost around 100$. It's based on real electrical exam with very similar questions. It has over 2000 questions, so you get tons of practice and once you choose the answer it gives you review at the end and shows you where to find the rule for that question: 2015 Canadian Electrical Practice Exams | C22.1 Canadian Electrical Code | ShopCSA

Good luck! sure you can do it!
Old Jun 5th 2017, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for taking your time. God bless you.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi there could you please help me which books I have to buy and study for Red seal exam and is better to study it first before I apply for my express visa or is better to Come there start work get experience and study. Will wait your answers. Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2017, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there could you please help me which books I have to buy and study for Red seal exam and is better to study it first before I apply for my express visa or is better to Come there start work get experience and study. Will wait your answers. Thanks
Do you have an approved job offer already? If not, you'll need to have your provincial certification to be eligible under EE anyway, so that would need to come first.

Good luck.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

No I haven't even looked for job. I work and live in London am fully qualified Electrician and been working since 2011. What is my first move should be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.