Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recruitment help for work permit?

Recruitment help for work permit?

Old May 20th 2016, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Abigail89jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recruitment help for work permit?

Hi was just wondering if anyone had used a cv service with help finding prosepective employers etc and were successful. I am contemplating using service which gets cv and cover letter written to a Canadian standard and then free job search help and coaching for skype interview etc. There is obviously no garuntee of finding work but was wondering if anyone did this and was successful.
Thanks
Old May 20th 2016, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment help for work permit?

'Canadian standard' is lower than 'British standard' for both CVs and letter writing, so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect.

How much are they charging?
Old May 20th 2016, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by withabix
'Canadian standard' is lower than 'British standard' for both CVs and letter writing, so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect.

How much are they charging?
It's about 180 pound. I researched the woman and she seems legit. I'm just struggling at the mo. I'm more attracted to the prosepect of help finding employment. Me and my family are looking to move based on getting employment for my parenter and getting lmia and work permit as my parents did 5 years ago. they are pr now. The lady doing the cv is on the Saskatchewan gov list of licensed immigration officers and helps foreign workers etc. That's where I found her .
Old May 20th 2016, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine had this done for free at a job fair

They basically just changed some words that sounded too British and took out stuff they said was irrelevant, like his high school grades and that was about it

I've never had a problem using a simplified version of my CV, maybe there's something else that employers aren't responding to?
Old May 20th 2016, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

As stated above just change the spelling and vocabulary to North American, reformat to fit on 8.5 x11" letter sized paper and call it a resume.

I would be very careful about what they will actually do for the 180 pound. For example my engineering consultancy charges me out at $150 an hour so for around $350 you arnt buying a lot of time. Get a written scope of what they will provide for the fee quoted.

Your biggest hurdle is going to be getting anyone to speak to you without being in country or having a valid work permit. There is some good advice on the wiki about finding employment.
Old May 20th 2016, 6:57 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
my engineering consultancy charges me out at $150 an hour so for around $350 you arnt buying a lot of time.
What's your engineering company hourly charge out rate got to do with the charge out rate of a resume writer? $350 could feasibly equate to a days work for them.
Old May 20th 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
What's your engineering company hourly charge out rate got to do with the charge out rate of a resume writer? $350 could feasibly equate to a days work for them.
It's to give an idea of hourly rates for consultancy (yes there different fields). As the OP stated this firm is a licensed immigration consultant and these tend to have higher rates than engineering consultancy. The OP seems to be after help finding work and not just a resume the-write and if so the fee quoted is unlikely to achieve much even if it is 1 day. My take away point of get a written scope of work for the fee remains valid regardless.
Old May 20th 2016, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

If parents are PRs here cant they sponsor or has that also changed now ?
Old May 20th 2016, 10:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
If parents are PRs here cant they sponsor or has that also changed now ?
Parents have never been able to sponsor an adult/non-dependent child (or at least, not in the past decade or so!).
Old May 20th 2016, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

As stated above just change the spelling and vocabulary to North American, reformat to fit on 8.5 x11" letter sized paper and call it a resume.

I would be very careful about what they will actually do for the 180 pound. For example my engineering consultancy charges me out at $150 an hour so for around $350 you arnt buying a lot of time. Get a written scope of what they will provide for the fee quoted.

Your biggest hurdle is going to be getting anyone to speak to you without being in country or having a valid work permit. There is some good advice on the wiki about finding employment.

What I gather she is doing is charging more for the time she is going to take sending out cvs etc. She will also providing there is an offer of employment work with the employer to get a valid lmia etc. Perhaps she is charging more for the cv in order to cover those costs of her time as it is illegal to charge for employment services regarding foreign workers. ie finding employment .
Old May 20th 2016, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

It's to give an idea of hourly rates for consultancy (yes there different fields). As the OP stated this firm is a licensed immigration consultant and these tend to have higher rates than engineering consultancy. The OP seems to be after help finding work and not just a resume the-write and if so the fee quoted is unlikely to achieve much even if it is 1 day. My take away point of get a written scope of work for the fee remains valid regardless.
I did check the going rate for a Canadian cv writer and it is approx 350 dollars. I actually did this as soon as I saw what she was charging as a cc rewrite in the UK is only 20-30 pounds. But as she is providing so much other services it didn't seem so bad .
Old May 20th 2016, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Abigail89jones
What I gather she is doing is charging more for the time she is going to take sending out cvs etc. She will also providing there is an offer of employment work with the employer to get a valid lmia etc. Perhaps she is charging more for the cv in order to cover those costs of her time as it is illegal to charge for employment services regarding foreign workers. ie finding employment .
It seems expensive for a CV write but very cheap for the other services you are describing.

You may have of been very lucky finding this person but make sure you get a scope of work in writing before paying the money.

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; May 20th 2016 at 11:01 pm.
Old May 20th 2016, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

My dad actually got employment whilst still living in Ireland. I Think if you get connected to the right paths it's very possible.
Old May 21st 2016, 11:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abigail89jones
My dad actually got employment whilst still living in Ireland. I Think if you get connected to the right paths it's very possible.
That was 5 years ago though, so when foreign labour was more in demand, and before the changes to the work permit system i.e. when an employer didn't have to pay $1000, wait months, and go through lots of paperwork and hassle to hire a foreign worker.

Now things are unfortunately very different. It will also depend on your job and the demand for your skills. Personally, rather than paying somebody to rewrite a resume (which you could easily do yourself), I'd be looking at getting out there and making connections/job hunting in person to maximise your chances.

Have you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? Well worth a read if you haven't done so already.

Best of luck.
Old May 21st 2016, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Allegedly Canada will need another 48,000 truck drivers by 2024 and Im wondering how these will be recruited.
https://www.thestar.com/business/201...g-drivers.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.