Reload this Page >

Reciprocal?! countries for driving license

Reciprocal?! countries for driving license

Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:58 am
Carlos

cguarany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reciprocal?! countries for driving license

Hi all,

I am moving from Australia to Canada (Ontario) next month.

I came across to this Web site http://www.mto.gov.on.ca:80/english/...r/exchange.htm that shows a list of countries that have a reciprocal driver’s licence agreement with Ontario.

Surprisingly I haven't seen Australia on the list since I know that Australia (NSW) rerecognizes Canadian licences http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...countries.html

What's wrong? Isn't it supposed to be reciprocal?

Any clues? I am very disappointed in having to take all the driving tests again after 20 years!

Cheers
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:35 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reciprocal?! countries for driving license

Try being from Northern Ireland. It is part of the United Kingdom, yet Ontario does not recognise a NI driving licence. Every other part of the UK is fine, not us lot.
My point is, it just doesn't always make sense. Sorry!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:50 am
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

It seems a strange system ! I could exchange a car license but they wont do it for my motorcycle license ? so i have to re-take my test :curse: !

As for not being able to exchange one from NI but the rest of the UK is fine....well thats just plain silly !

Guess we just have to bite the bullet and start again
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:03 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
I could exchange a car license but they wont do it for my motorcycle license ?
Eh?!
Weird.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:20 pm
Wish i was there!!!

Angiej19 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have friends who moved from N Ireland to Alberta and they where able to exchange licences without any hassle
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:57 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angiej19
We have friends who moved from N Ireland to Alberta and they where able to exchange licences without any hassle
That may have been true of your friends but, if it was, it was a slip up on the part of the person who dealt with them at the Registry Office.

The Service Alberta website specifically states:

A valid licence from a country that has a reciprocal agreement with Alberta, includes Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Switzerland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain (excluding Northern Ireland), can be exchanged for a Class 5 when the applicant is presenting a valid licence of equivalent class.

I mention it because anyone who is coming to Alberta with a driver's licence from Northern Ireland should not take comfort from your post and assume that he/she will get away without a test. There are people from Northern Ireland who have had to do the practical driving test in Alberta.
x
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:02 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Judy

Any idea why they will take a Car license but not a Motorcycle license because the bike test in the UK is very strict !
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Judy

Any idea why they will take a Car license but not a Motorcycle license because the bike test in the UK is very strict !
Because it's their game, their rules. You won't find a reason for it stated anywhere, just accept it and take the test if you want entitlement.

The UK bike test IMO doesn't prepare a rider very well at all, except for very basic control. You learn nothing about counter-steering, for example.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:16 pm
NEMESIS

Originally Posted by R I C H
Because it's their game, their rules. You won't find a reason for it stated anywhere, just accept it and take the test if you want entitlement.

The UK bike test IMO doesn't prepare a rider very well at all, except for very basic control. You learn nothing about counter-steering, for example.
How difficult will the test be in Toronto ? Do they make you counter steer for example or do they just want my money ?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:25 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

How difficult will the test be in Toronto ? Do they make you counter steer for example or do they just want my money ?
I'm sorry, I've no idea what the test in Toronto entails. I live in BC. I suspect if you've spent any reasonable amount of time riding a bike you shouldn't have a problem with the test.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:30 pm
NEMESIS

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'm sorry, I've no idea what the test in Toronto entails. I live in BC. I suspect if you've spent any reasonable amount of time riding a bike you shouldn't have a problem with the test.
Guess i`ll just have to shut up and pay up ! Maybe they think i ride a right hand drive bike in the UK ? LOL
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:18 pm
Wish i was there!!!

Angiej19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Their friends from N Ireland have also been able to exchange their licences without doing a test so surely it can't happen to two different couples who arrived in Canada months apart!