Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recent graduate - how difficult to find work on IEC?

Recent graduate - how difficult to find work on IEC?

Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Target is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent graduate - how difficult to find work on IEC?

I'm 23, graduated this month with a 2:1 degree in IT, and am considering spending a year or two travelling before starting a career within teaching in the UK.

Canada is my first choice, followed my Australia. I know that Canada offers a 1 year working holiday IEC programme, however, as a new graduate with no experience, what are the realities of getting a job, anything, but preferably in IT?

Also, I cannot drive (health reasons) so will be looking at major cities only with some sort of public transport (I've heard public transport is not-so-great in Canada).

I know it's a very 'how long is a piece of string' question, however I'm just looking for some input from those that may have experience or knowledge of this area?

I've got an offer to start a PGCE in September, but I know I'll regret not travelling while I'm young and have no ties if I jump straight into starting a career within teaching.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

SeanInVan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recent graduate - how difficult to find work on IEC?

In Vancouver, compared to London UK, the market moves quite slowly. It took me 2 months to find a good job and a lot of that time was going through multiple interviews wit h the same company. I was on an IEC but had 5 years previous experience. Generally people are not keen on dealing with people on a 1 year visa from what I found for permanent roles and there are not so many contracts jobs. You would likely have more luck getting a job in a shop or summer job.

If you pick Vancouver you dont need a car in Vancouver, the Sky train is limited but the bus network has good coverage. I would recommend buying a bike instead and cycling as its a small city and good for that. One thing to remember is a lot of places (most) are rented unfurnished so you might need to buy a bed and get it delivered when you have found a place to live.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:52 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have any IT experience you're not going to find a role in Vancouver to be honest. I would suggest signing up with a few agencies for temp work and as for not getting a perm role to be honest it depends on the company. I've hired people on IEC's that are in their first year and plan on extending for the second.

Transit is not bad in Vancouver as long as you stay within the sky train area (Burnaby and Richmond) once you go further afield it can be a little challenging
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:29 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

With limited experience and a finite visa length it'll likely prove difficult to get into IT. There are plenty of jobs around for more general positions if you're willing to take something lower end.

When I first came, even with experience in IT, it was very thin. I stuck it out in McDonald's night shift for the guts of a year. Was able to get a role in web design fairly easily once I was married and the gears had started moving towards permanent residence.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:18 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary has not bad transit links if you live close to the LRT but I found most companies prefer to recruit Alberta graduates, I was lucky and got in with the same company I was with in Aberdeen.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:25 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

When I came here in 2008 on the IEC visa, I found IT work in a consultancy firm in about 2 weeks.

That is Calgary however - more jobs than people. Vancouver has far more people than jobs. I also had about 10 years experience under my belt. Your mileage may vary.