Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Realtors for Renting in Calgary

Realtors for Renting in Calgary

Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Realtors for Renting in Calgary

Hi

I've been talking to a friend who lives in the states and he says our lives would be a lot easier when we land if we went with a realtor. I said I thought they only helped you when you were buying a property. He says they help you find rentals too.

Do they? if so how many of you used one?

If they are a good thing to use - does anyone know any good ones for NW and SW Calgary area? We will be renting for 12 months or more - well until we get PR so that could be anyone's guess (Provided the LMO is positive that is!)

Thanks!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realtors for Renting in Calgary

No.

Anything they can do you can do yourself. When buying a house they are "free" as the vendor pays them. They do not work for free so are likely to want paying for sorting you out with a rental. As I said, something you can do yourself.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A quick google of Calgary rental properties brings up lots of info.
Yes it is something you can do yourself. The only advantage of working with a realtor is that they should know the area and guide you in choosing an area suited to your needs. Obviously dependent on fees you decide if its worth the fee or not.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

no experience of using a realtor for renting (only buying) but check out rentfaster.ca, kijiji etc for rental property - you can do it yourself although I'm sure realtors would be happy to help you but as others said, i expect this may come with a pricetag
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:49 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

We were given the name of a local realtor by OH's company as part of all our relocation bumph. When we rang her about rentals she said she didn't deal with them and advised us to look on rentfaster and homerent. It's easy to do yourself.

Check online before you get here and get a printout of the places you think look ok. Drive by the properties first and then arrange your viewings so you don't waste time. We found it pretty straightforward to do and apart from dragging kids around numerous houses (it was Jan so too cold to leave them sat in the car for long!) it wasn't that stressful. However we were very lucky to find a nice house and a great landlord.

Any idea whereabouts you want to be?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Snowcandy - yes within 10 mins of the C-Train - Shawnessy looking good at the mo. I wanted to live NW but husband is insistent on a very short commute (he does 90 mins each way almost every day here!)

Really - anywhere that is within a short walk of the C-train we will consider.

Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Who will the realtor be working for? If they are working for the landlord their job is to find a suitable tenant for their client - not to help you find a home. They charge the landlord a fee - typically half a month's rent.

I don't know of any realtors that work exclusively for tenants seeking homes I don't think the available commissions justify the amount of effort needed. You might be able to find someone who is prepared to spend some time with you now in the hope of you remembering them when you come to buy.

I would drop into a realtor's office and have a chat Explain your situation that you want to rent for a year until your PR comes through, then you want to buy However, you want to rent in an area where you would be happy to buy to avoid further disrupting your kid's lives. Then make the most of what advice you are given.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Who will the realtor be working for? If they are working for the landlord their job is to find a suitable tenant for their client - not to help you find a home. They charge the landlord a fee - typically half a month's rent.

I don't know of any realtors that work exclusively for tenants seeking homes I don't think the available commissions justify the amount of effort needed. You might be able to find someone who is prepared to spend some time with you now in the hope of you remembering them when you come to buy.

I would drop into a realtor's office and have a chat Explain your situation that you want to rent for a year until your PR comes through, then you want to buy However, you want to rent in an area where you would be happy to buy to avoid further disrupting your kid's lives. Then make the most of what advice you are given.
Thanks - that's great advice - we will take it. We really need to get the rental right as we *really* don't want our son having to move schools twice.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

TaffCan is an unknown quantity at this point

if in shawnessey then by me... still 30 - 40 min commute on ctrain though, but no traffic jams!!

Realtors so not do rentals.

Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TaffCan
if in shawnessey then by me... still 30 - 40 min commute on ctrain though, but no traffic jams!!

Realtors so not do rentals.

Thanks

Are prices of places closer than Shawnessey not a lot more expensive tho?

Old Jan 25th 2012, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Thanks

Are prices of places closer than Shawnessey not a lot more expensive tho?

There are expensive houses in Shawnessy, there are less expensive houses close to downtown. Location has little to do with it. The price, to a large extent, is dependent upon the house.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:32 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

What size or type of house are you looking for? This one on our road in Arbour Lake is for rent.

http://www.rentfaster.ca/calgary-hou...RJTkc3NTA0MQ==
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
What size or type of house are you looking for? This one on our road in Arbour Lake is for rent.

http://www.rentfaster.ca/calgary-hou...RJTkc3NTA0MQ==
That's a very odd rental offering. An ugly house, all garage, in a classic barren North American suburb, so far so bad. But 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and yet no pets and no one under 18 allowed; is it specifically intended as a grow op?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:20 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

lol I wondered that too - the no under 18 stipulation is a strange one.

If you have kids at home that are over 18 they are far more likely to create havoc with parties than say, a 7 year old would!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
lol I wondered that too - the no under 18 stipulation is a strange one.

If you have kids at home that are over 18 they are far more likely to create havoc with parties than say, a 7 year old would!
It might work for a family from a culture where the parents may visit for months at a time. I worked with a guy who bitched constantly about the burden of having to keep a mansion in case both sets of parents arrived at once (fortunately, him being from Manchester, I could say "knock it off, Manjit"). That would make sense if it was in Brampton where most of the population is Indian but I don't know the ethnic make up of Arbour Lake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.