Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

DGLM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Do the 'younger generation' (I'm 35, not sure if I still qualify or not!) really blame those in their 50's for not being able to buy a house?! How daft.

Not sure there's the same obsession with property ownership in Canada as there is in the UK, but yes, prices there are unobtainable for many too (have you seen the price of property in Vancouver recently?!). Perhaps they blame the immigrants with their equity from UK properties who are buying property and pushing the prices up instead though
Yes, those of us who know economics 101 do blame the baby boomer generation, who have allowed our industrial base to be exported to the Far-East, who now see their market-linked pensions looking ropey, and who remortgaged their houses to become landlords to suppliment their 30% reduced pension income.
You say there isn't the home-owner obsession in Canada, but someone has to own the houses that are been rented...why should it be baby boomers for the most part living off the labour of younger people, who can't get a mortgage. Who is daft mate? Have you tried getting a mortgage? Why are the prices so high? Kinda obvious, if you aren't daft.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DGLM
Yes, those of us who know economics 101 do blame the baby boomer generation, who have allowed our industrial base to be exported to the Far-East, who now see their market-linked pensions looking ropey, and who remortgaged their houses to become landlords to suppliment their 30% reduced pension income.
You say there isn't the home-owner obsession in Canada, but someone has to own the houses that are been rented...why should it be baby boomers for the most part living off the labour of younger people, who can't get a mortgage. Who is daft mate? Have you tried getting a mortgage? Why are the prices so high? Kinda obvious, if you aren't daft.
There's no need to be rude. I'm 35 and have just bought my fourth house in the UK (so yes, have tried getting a mortgage), can't see why on earth anybody my age or younger than me should blame others for not being able to buy a house! It's no harder now than it's ever been, my parents had to scrimp and save and work several jobs to save up for their first house, just as my husband and I did.

If somebody has chosen to buy a rental property because they've worked hard over their life and invested in property, then fair play to them imo.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:54 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny, young people are complaining about the same thing in Canada. Who'd have thunk it

Median house price in Vancouver is ~$700k whereas Median household income is ~$68k. Work out the affordability with your economics 101

Welcome to Canada
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
A question for The OP, Alcat. You say you vilified the UK for so long, but you have a nice life where you are. Was the vilification based on daily experiences or mainly media driven? For example, was crime, immigration, violence, etc, a driect impact to you or mainly media stories?

Also how will your life be better on a day to day basis? What do you see?

Im actually Very curious because it could help form more direct, and helpfully realistic responses.
My wife and I have a decent enough standard of life yes, thats due to not having high damands / living well within our means. And it was also through alot of hard work and determination (I did not get into the fire service easily, and my wife studied and worked hard for many years to be a nurse)

The villification was / is due to all our previous experiences growing up and currently living where we do. Definitely not all good.
Crime? Yep, Plenty. ..Violence? Yep, plenty..
The kind of experiences I dont want my daughters exposed to..

Immigration? Well this is something that is now in my opinion getting worse in the uk as a whole (info gained through media and also experiences in local communities in glasgow)

How will my life 'be better' on a day to day basis?
Well I honestly dont really know.. suppose hence the reason for the thread..
But my naive idea of escaping the rundown majority of areas in scotland, and having better surroundings for my kids would kinda make 'it better'...
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

DGLM is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no need to be rude. I'm 35 and have just bought my fourth house in the UK (so yes, have tried getting a mortgage), can't see why on earth anybody my age or younger than me should blame others for not being able to buy a house! It's no harder now than it's ever been, my parents had to scrimp and save and work several jobs to save up for their first house, just as my husband and I did.

If somebody has chosen to buy a rental property because they've worked hard over their life and invested in property, then fair play to them imo.
Don't be ridiculous! So house prices haven't risen in the past 10 years? Did they or did they not rise because mortgage holders were encourgaed to remortgage and become landlords? If you bought your first house before the mortgage farming mania kicked in last decade, then you didn't have to save 40% for a mortgage on an average house price of Ā£180,000.
Also, no one needed to scrimp and save THAT much. There is scrimping and saving, then there is working for 25 years to pay for a deposit! You have no idea about the situation now, hence your ignorant reply.
The question still remains, do Canadians **** over the younger generation in the housing market, to live off younger peoples labour? Thats all I'm asking.

Your opinion then is no different to those living iunder feudalism, in tennant plots. You say its okay, but you'd say it wasn't if you were in other peoples situation. Hypocrit.
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
But my naive idea of escaping the rundown majority of areas in scotland, and having better surroundings for my kids would kinda make 'it better'...
The funny thing is I have a brother lives in Glenrothes, and he's perfectly happy there. It seems nice enough to me when I visit, and by UK standards its far from expensive.

maybe we are missing something?
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Howefamily
For me living away from inner city UK where the scabs are is expensive. The villages in Sussex were pretty much out of our budget. It wasnt even a case of you have to pay for what you want, we wouldnt have been granted a mortgage to allow us to live a more charmed life in England.

We could have gone to say Wales to live a quieter life but from experience I wouldnt have gotten away from the rif raf element. The villages in S Wales are poor, there is not alot of work there. The kids seem to hang out at the only pub in the village and teen pregnancy is rife - gets one a council house up the "site"

Nova Scotia - we live 40 mins from Halifax in a gorgeous house in a lovely subdivision where people (kids and adults) say hi as you pass them.
Its worlds away from where I could afford to be in England.

This pretty much confirms my way of thinking..
One piece of evidence that its true ha!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
The funny thing is I have a brother lives in Glenrothes, and he's perfectly happy there. It seems nice enough to me when I visit, and by UK standards its far from expensive.

maybe we are missing something?
Hoping not to offend.... but nah, small towns in the east coast in fife i.e. Glenrothes / kirkcaldy / dunfermline...

To me just seem riddled with the same crap as in the west. run down, tired town centres with high unemployment, some affordable decent houses but affordable as they are spitting distance to skum ridden holes!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:07 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The question still remains, do Canadians **** over the younger generation in the housing market, to live off younger peoples labour? Thats all I'm asking.

House prices in the UK have been rising for decades, there is nothing special about this generation.

There is a finite amount of land in places peope want to live in the UK, and thats reflected in the way prices rise. Its supply and demand. 60M people now compared to 40M a few decades back.

Thats true in Vancouver, wedged between see and mountains, and its true of waterfront property in Ontario. Its supply and demand.

To be honest you sound more than a bit bitter. Funny, both my brothers and all my friends from Uni managed to buy into property in the UK; Blaming the boomers for buying it all up and renting it out just doesnt add up. Those boomers with their mortgages were carrying interest rates in the teens in the 70s, so good luck to them. They have to die sometime. Maybe its you and not them? Previous generations had to scrimp and save to get a downpayment together too. My dad had to borrow from his father in law. Same shit, different bucket.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Hoping not to offend.... but nah, small towns in the east coast in fife i.e. Glenrothes / kirkcaldy / dunfermline...

To me just seem riddled with the same crap as in the west. run down, tired town centres with high unemployment, some affordable decent houses but affordable as they are spitting distance to skum ridden holes!
Exactly, its all about perspective isnt it. People look at the same thing and their brains process it totally differently.

The danger is you will look at some nice place in Canada and see the same rundown problems, and by then you will have chucked your nice secure life of today away.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have a decent enough standard of life yes, thats due to not having high damands / living well within our means. And it was also through alot of hard work and determination (I did not get into the fire service easily, and my wife studied and worked hard for many years to be a nurse)

The villification was / is due to all our previous experiences growing up and currently living where we do. Definitely not all good.
Crime? Yep, Plenty. ..Violence? Yep, plenty..
The kind of experiences I dont want my daughters exposed to..

Immigration? Well this is something that is now in my opinion getting worse in the uk as a whole (info gained through media and also experiences in local communities in glasgow)

How will my life 'be better' on a day to day basis?
Well I honestly dont really know.. suppose hence the reason for the thread..
Fair enough. I guess it all depends where you intend to live and what that area has to offer in keeping issues out of sight. Like the UK, most places are good at that unless you go looking or read the media.

I'm a believer on not using the past (as in how we grew up) as an indicator or perceptor of how our kids will grow up. It sounds like you've moved away from that, to a point. So use where you are as a basis for the future. If you don't struggle with crime every day, wake up to glass covered streets, and are subject to violence in your daily life, then the chances of your kids having that are slim.

Take Vancouver for example. It's a beautiful place, has nice people, and offers me a great lifestyle. Since i've lived here there have been lots of shootings, murders, violence, robbery, sexual attacks, i've had 2 ipods stolen, etc etc. There are homeless people wandering the streets like a scene from a zombie movie, mental people who need help, drugs, drunken idiots, and trailer trash wandering the streets. I've spent time in small town Canada where drink driving is considered normal and acceptable.

Does it impact my life? No not really. I'm aware it happens but i don't directly associate with it in the same way you don't in Glasgow.

Immigrations is rife in Canada too. As in the UK, some of it is good and some bad. Some drain the coffers from society, some bring their criminal ways with them, some can't speak English, and the majority are looking to better themselves are are very nice people. It shouldn't be an issue as i doubt it impacts your life at all in either country.

You could quite easily escape the proximity of run down areas in either country, so if you're packing up and moving anyway, why not try Canada. There's nothing wrong with it, and it'll be exciting for a little while before daily normality is resumed and you see similar things in Canada as you do in the UK that get your back up. Like i said before, it's like a relationship where ultimately the freshness wears off and the usual reality comes to say hello.

I really enjoy my life here, so maybe you will too. Maybe it'll be the best thing you ever did. Maybe it'll emotionally scar your children for life and kill your marriage. Who knows. If you REALLY wanted it, and if you REALLY thought it was for the best, you'd not have to second guess your decisions or get confirmation from others. You'd just know and do it. This is why you should go ahead with the PR process, holiday in different areas of Canada over the next few years a few times each year, and go from there.

Just don't forget to live life where you're at now otherwise you'll miss some really good bits

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 15th 2012 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. I guess it all depends where you intend to live and what that area has to offer in keeping issues out of sight. Like the UK, most places are good at that unless you go looking or read the media.

I'm a believer on not using the past (as in how we grew up) as an indicator or perceptor of how our kids will grow up. It sounds like you've moved away from that, to a point. So use where you are as a basis for the future. If you don't struggle with crime every day, wake up to glass covered streets, and are subject to violence in your daily life, then the chances of your kids having that are slim.

Take Vancouver for example. It's a beautiful place, has nice people, and offers me a great lifestyle. Since i've lived here there have been lots of shootings, murders, violence, robbery, sexual attacks, i've had 2 ipods stolen, etc etc. There are homeless people wandering the streets like a scene from a zombie movie, mental people who need help, drugs, drunken idiots, and trailer trash wandering the streets. I've spent time in small town Canada where drink driving is considered normal and acceptable.

Does it impact my life? No not really. I'm aware it happens but i don't directly associate with it in the same way you don't in Glasgow.

Immigrations is rife in Canada too. As in the UK, some of it is good and some bad. Some drain the coffers from society, some bring their criminal ways with them, some can't speak English, and the majority are looking to better themselves are are very nice people. It shouldn't be an issue as i doubt it impacts your life at all in either country.

You could quite easily escape the proximity of run down areas in either country, so if you're packing up and moving anyway, why not try Canada. There's nothing wrong with it, and it'll be exciting for a little while before daily normality is resumed and you see similar things in Canada as you do in the UK that get your back up. Like i said before, it's like a relationship where ultimately the freshness wears off and the usual reality comes to say hello.

I really enjoy my life here, so maybe you will too. Maybe it'll be the best thing you ever did. Maybe it'll emotionally scar your children for life and kill your marriage. Who knows. If you REALLY wanted it, and if you REALLY thought it was for the best, you'd not have to second guess your decisions or get confirmation from others. You'd just know and do it. This is why you should go ahead with the PR process, holiday in different areas of Canada over the next few years a few times each year, and go from there.

Just don't forget to live life where you're at now otherwise you'll miss some really good bits
Good post. You really are on a roll. Exactly what I would have posted if I could be arsed.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:14 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

+1000000.

Maybe I should create a sticky thread from of all this recent wisdom...

Did you fall and bang your head recently or something
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:17 pm
Beep

Exactly, its all about perspective isnt it. People look at the same thing and their brains process it totally differently.

The danger is you will look at some nice place in Canada and see the same rundown problems, and by then you will have chucked your nice secure life of today away.
It's funny. I remember visiting places in the Lower Mainland of BC years ago with fresh eyes and thinking they were great and different and very North American quaint. Now i drive through thinking, **** me, what a shit hole. How can people live there with the trailer trash walking the streets, run down houses, unemployments, etc etc.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest you sound more than a bit bitter. Funny, both my brothers and all my friends from Uni managed to buy into property in the UK; Blaming the boomers for buying it all up and renting it out just doesnt add up. Those boomers with their mortgages were carrying interest rates in the teens in the 70s, so good luck to them. They have to die sometime. Maybe its you and not them? Previous generations had to scrimp and save to get a downpayment together too. My dad had to borrow from his father in law. Same shit, different bucket.
+1. My grandparents never managed to afford to buy their own house, as much as they tried. The difference was they didn't blame anybody else for that fact.

I worked 3 jobs for years and years to save up a deposit for my first home, which was a wreck and a repossession (the only thing I could afford). It never crossed my mind to blame my parents for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.