Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by jericho

Canada has allowed me the opportunity to buy a beautiful house, with lots of land in a nice area, where kids are kids and not perceived to be a menace to society. I'm surrounded by lakes and opportunities for tons of outdoor opportunities. I have a good job, and earn more than twice as much I would ever get in the UK. But at the same time, living here drives me nuts sometimes.

I have said, or tried to explain something similar in previous posts , but was jumped on for sounding naive. In a nutshell, the move IS for my wife and I, but its also for our kids upbringing environment

Rightly or wrongly.. I feel, and from what Ive generally heard, the opportunties and surroundings ARE better for kids...

Basically I now have two baby girls.
I feel where I was brought up (west coast scotland) there is a pressure on the kids to either be 'wee hard men'... and the girls are no better!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:44 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

After reading your posts, i would personally stick with holidaying in Canada once in a while.

Good luck
So to follow the logic of your analogy you're basically suggesting that the OP goes out and get some brasses?
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
So move to a place without ASBO crime. I could give you a list based on the experience of family and friends spread out from Fife to Surrey. It will likely cost more, and you may have to find a new job, and there may be some rough areas within a 20 minute drive.... Hang on a minute, that sound a lot like moving to Canada doesnt it, other than the last bit
Yep, thats bonnie scotland for you!

My wife and I could get ourselves a nice house in a decent enough area (well nothing massive but better than the damp ridden council hole I grew up in)

But there is ALWAYS a sh#thole of a town / area near any semi decent places in scotland.
And im not a snob looking over the rail tracks thinking "what scum!"
Its on my 'reasons' list as to why Canada land is a tad better....
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010

My wife and I could get ourselves a nice house in a decent enough area (well nothing massive but better than the damp ridden council hole I grew up in)

But there is ALWAYS a sh#thole of a town / area near any semi decent places in scotland.
You'll be in good company. Loads of Scotch have moved to Canada. I think they find the long cold miserable winters and lack of cultural excitement familiar.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

there are shitholes in Canada too.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=el_richo;10119621]

Canada, a country perceived to be full of happy smiling people who live simple lives with no fear, owning land enough for horses and a large house. All for a cheap price. Kids are kids and ever respectful to others, etc etc.

Most people believe what they read or watch. Or at least form perceptions in their mind.

In reality, Canada has crime, unruly kids, expensive housing, rising congestion, and lack of space.

The reality is, both countries have it all, and both countries have areas that do not. Most people choose Canada based on what they read or see when on holiday. That has nothing to do with true experience as such.

The bottom line is, there's nothing wrong with living in either country. Both can provide a good life, education, opportunities, safe environment, space, etc. QUOTE]

Good post mate.

Ive had many moments thinking along these lines. And many dicussions with the missus about this...
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

DGLM is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they, in Canada, have baby boomers (50-70 year olds) who have remortgaged and bought up all the housing stock so they can have a pension paid by the younger generation through rent, and deprive them of home ownership, like here in the UK?
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
there are shitholes in Canada too.
We really could go round in circles with this whole topic...

I know... I know there is shitholes in Canada too...
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I have said, or tried to explain something similar in previous posts , but was jumped on for sounding naive. In a nutshell, the move IS for my wife and I, but its also for our kids upbringing environment

Rightly or wrongly.. I feel, and from what Ive generally heard, the opportunties and surroundings ARE better for kids...

Basically I now have two baby girls.
I feel where I was brought up (west coast scotland) there is a pressure on the kids to either be 'wee hard men'... and the girls are no better!
The thing is, you don't know whether your kids will be better off in Canada or the UK. What you might make up in more living space and quiet surroundings, you might lose in being so far away from family and friends who play an integral part in your childrens upbringing.

I personally don't see either country being better for bringing up kids. You'll still have your issues. Both have drink and drugs. Both have wee hard men (small town Canada is rife with that in my experience). There will be pressures. In all reality, it'll be no better, just different. The good different will have new scenery and the freshness of a new relationship (short term). The bad different will be distance from your close family and friends (much more sustained and loonger term).

I've said it before..........shit or get off the pot.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DGLM
Do they, in Canada, have baby boomers (50-70 year olds) who have remortgaged and bought up all the housing stock so they can have a pension paid by the younger generation through rent, and deprive them of home ownership, like here in the UK?
Yes, and foriegn investors likewise too.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DGLM
Do the 'younger generation' (I'm 35, not sure if I still qualify or not!) really blame those in their 50's for not being able to buy a house?! How daft.

Not sure there's the same obsession with property ownership in Canada as there is in the UK, but yes, prices there are unobtainable for many too (have you seen the price of property in Vancouver recently?!). Perhaps they blame the immigrants with their equity from UK properties who are buying property and pushing the prices up instead though.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:18 pm
Beep

Good post mate.

Ive had many moments thinking along these lines. And many dicussions with the missus about this...
In all seriousness, knowing that, and if you're comfortable with the distance from family and friends (especially regarding your kids relationship with them), try it out.

Granted it's an expensive trial both financially, emotionally, and time, should it not work out.

If i were you, i'd go through the process of getting PR (assuming you don't need a job to get it), once you have PR you have a few more years to figure things out. See how life is and if you still have the itch at that point.

Either way, you need to move on with your lives and enjoy everything you have right now.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:20 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do the 'younger generation' (I'm 35, not sure if I still qualify or not!) really blame those in their 50's for not being able to buy a house?! How daft.

Not sure there's the same obsession with property ownership in Canada as there is in the UK, but yes, prices there are unobtainable for many too (have you seen the price of property in Vancouver recently?!). Perhaps they blame the immigrants with their equity from UK properties who are buying property and pushing the prices up instead though.
15% drop forecasted for Vancouver so at least it'll bring prices a little closer to its natural levels
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Vancouver is a law to itself. My bosses kid went out west to Ft McMoney as an 18year old highschool grad. Bought a house outright for cash here at 21.

Just saying....
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Vancouver is a law to itself. My bosses kid went out west to Ft McMoney as an 18year old highschool grad. Bought a house outright for cash here at 21.

Just saying....
Who said grow ops don't pay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.