Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in Canada?

Is it really better in Canada?

Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Starting downtown it takes an hour or more to get clear of Toronto so that's no different.
You should be moving to the burbs then.

Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
You should be moving to the burbs then.

Been there, done that. Also, properly downtown, in a near suburb (the Beach), out in the sticks. What's next to try, I wonder.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Been there, done that. Also, properly downtown, in a near suburb (the Beach), out in the sticks. What's next to try, I wonder.
UK?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Dont expect Uk way of doing things, it doesnt happen.BUT if you get wiley like the Coyote you can get around it.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:57 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
Dont expect Uk way of doing things, it doesnt happen.BUT if you get wiley like the Coyote you can get around it.
.... or ran over, shot .....................
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
UK?
Oh wouldn't it be nice. Maybe my daughter could sponsor me.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:11 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's mostly to do with people reading the Daily Wail here and then moving to Canada and thinking everything is roses because they've yet to discover the Kanuck version of the Wail. Canada has it's own host of socio-economic problems. Drugs, sex and violence do indeed exist in Canada. The Eutopia a lot of people seek on this forum doesn't exist - that's why there's so many complaints here.

People are people. Some are good, some are bad and some are a whole lot of shades of grey in between.

Last edited by zRichi; Sep 21st 2010 at 5:17 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
People are people. Some are good, some are bad and some are a whole lot of shades of grey in between.
I have inferred from what you said here that the extremities are black and white. Which is the good and which is the bad?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

fowler71 will become famous soon enough

If immigrants did not put Canada on a pedestal like we did, then the gap between expectation and reality would easier to accept.
Don't be fooled by the pictures of mountains and lakes though, this country has it's dark side aswell. The one thing i realise now is that the potential to succeed here is enormous however the journey is a tough one.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:44 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hw many want to be immigrants keep in touch with people that have recently moved here???? Not many i'd say.

When the ex decided he wanted to move out here, it was all based upon hear say. Old people that visited our sleepy seaside town from the great white North - they all seemed relatively well off and had healthy shiny glows to their faces.

You look at pics of Canada on websites and it seems soooooo beautiful (which many parts are), but you don't look for the shitty bits - why would you spoil your dream.

You are also under the misapprehension that its waaaaaay cheaper here because it's what you think you know.

You dream about building big log cabins in way out remote areas because all your friends back in the UK will be soooo jealous.

You even come on a reccie because you think you want to visit your proposed destination, and make excuses for the bits that aren't hitting the heart strings.

And dare I say it, some people are under the misguided apprehension that they are gods gift to the human race and believe that Canada will welcome this new immigrant from the UK and bow down to everything he says because Canada is sooooooo backward and lucky to have him and all the new shiny things and ideas he brings with him

When reality sets in and you realise that Canadians don't hold you on a pedastal - your bubble bursts and you have to start being humble and accept the way they do things over here.

CANADIANS DON'T CARE THAT YOU ARE FROM THE UK, THEY LIKE YOUR ACCENT AND THATS ABOUT IT
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:51 pm
Banned

Boy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really niceBoy_Howdy is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
cut

CANADIANS DON'T CARE THAT YOU ARE FROM THE UK, THEY LIKE YOUR ACCENT AND THATS ABOUT IT
Agreed
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

And dare I say it, some people are under the misguided apprehension that they are gods gift to the human race and believe that Canada will welcome this new immigrant from the UK and bow down to everything he says because Canada is sooooooo backward and lucky to have him and all the new shiny things and ideas he brings with him
It happened for me
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Hw many want to be immigrants keep in touch with people that have recently moved here???? Not many i'd say.

When the ex decided he wanted to move out here, it was all based upon hear say. Old people that visited our sleepy seaside town from the great white North - they all seemed relatively well off and had healthy shiny glows to their faces.

You look at pics of Canada on websites and it seems soooooo beautiful (which many parts are), but you don't look for the shitty bits - why would you spoil your dream.

You are also under the misapprehension that its waaaaaay cheaper here because it's what you think you know.

You dream about building big log cabins in way out remote areas because all your friends back in the UK will be soooo jealous.

You even come on a reccie because you think you want to visit your proposed destination, and make excuses for the bits that aren't hitting the heart strings.

When reality sets in and you realise that Canadians don't hold you on a pedastal - your bubble bursts and you have to start being humble and accept the way they do things over here.

Wow, that's a rant and a half!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
It happened for me
Yeah but your location = Edmonton
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

This is nothing new.

We first came to Canada in 1956 lasted about seven months before my mother dragged my sister and myself back to the UK, my mother hated the place. Arrived Edmonton early September left late March says it all in a way don't it.

My father stayed in Canada until 1960.

When my father was initially looking for work he looked in Edmonton and Vancouver. There were lots of places with signs up indicating they were hiring but an awful lot of those had additional signs saying "No Englishmen need apply".

I wonder if even back then they got a little tired of hearing how good the UK was and how much better they were compared to the average Canadian, along with how they could improve things if they'd just do things like they did in England.

Didn't seem to put my dad off though as he and I were back again in 1963 and he passed away here and I'm still here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.