Reload this Page >

Realistic Advice needed on electrician migrating

Realistic Advice needed on electrician migrating

Old Jul 28th 2015, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

nizblake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Realistic Advice needed on electrician migrating

Hi All, i have posted on here before with questions about moving to canada,

My Partner Qualifies as an electrician June 2016 and we know he would have to prove 9000 hrs of work and take a red seal test etc to work in canada.

We are both 34 he is 35 this year, by the time he gets all he needs to apply to migrate would there be any point as from what i've seen the immigration of canada and employers are mostley attracted to younger employees from abroad.

we dont have a mortgage here in the uk and would like one but in canada before its too late.

its just that this dream seems like it will never come true.

any advice given is much appreciated. Thank you
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realistic Advice needed on electrician migrating

Age don't come into it, I'm 42 and made the jump, I applied for the position at the beginning of last year and was over by October.

Last edited by happyhammers; Jul 28th 2015 at 1:10 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 5:06 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby is an electrician and he was 45 when we came UK trades people very well respected for their work ethic, don't let age hold u back plus ure flaming young anyway!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 5:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
don't let age hold u back plus ure flaming young anyway!
Whats an 'ure'
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 6:09 pm
Gained PR July 2014

you are. text speak..
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

you are. text speak..
I am what?
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:56 pm
Gained PR July 2014

ooft never mind ....
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 11:32 pm

ooft never mind ....
What's an 'ooft'? You seem to have your own little language going here!
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks Happyhammers and Lindhamchugh, i have got alot of advise from other expats and yourselfs.

Its going to be a long wait but worth it in the end and i will not give up on my dream, as i realise there are alot of people migrating in the 40's and 50's. I was just worried about getting emplyed and it affecting application for visas etc.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nizblake
Thanks Happyhammers and Lindhamchugh, i have got alot of advise from other expats and yourselfs.

Its going to be a long wait but worth it in the end and i will not give up on my dream, as i realise there are alot of people migrating in the 40's and 50's. I was just worried about getting emplyed and it affecting application for visas etc.
Depending where in Canada you're looking to move, a good electrician will always find work. In BC, there is a constant demand for good 'uns, age never comes in to it.

If he passes his red seal, he won't have a problem finding work I would bet.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

rtaylor1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a degree in Electrical / Mechanical engineering from the UK and could not find work without re sitting my exams here in Canada so changed career and now work for myself. Its a great life, a wonderful country and as such I would not wish to live back in the UK
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:43 am
Just Joined

rtaylor1956, why did you change career instead of sitting the exam, is this exam a thing where you have to strudy for a few years first?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

rtaylor1956 is an unknown quantity at this point

At 50 years old when I moved here I did not feel right about going back to school after a very successful Military / Police career. It was made clear to me that I would need to resit and study all over again and at my age that was not something I felt I needed to do. I've made a very successful career for myself in both the music and the film industry and have never looked back
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Whats an 'ure'

A musician:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midge_Ure
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:56 am
Just Joined

emiiuki is an unknown quantity at this point

Could someone tell me why are hours and months of work experience stated in letter from employer in application for Qualification certificate in Alberta required separately: "Hands-on work experience is both the hours AND months you spent performing the tasks of the trade."
Those two should be the same, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.