Adyted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: READ ME. PENSION RULES UK to Canada

I did PM you early today please see your messages. Thank you Ted
Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send the info
Stef
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense for all UK citizens 55 and older to take the 25% tax free lump sum from their private pension/SIPP before they move to Canada and become tax resident in another country.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
Makes sense for all UK citizens 55 and older to take the 25% tax free lump sum from their private pension/SIPP before they move to Canada and become tax resident in another country.
Oh yes - big time!
Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:24 am
Just Joined

john_linda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stef - we are new to the expat site but have been reading this thread with interest. Very impressed with what you are trying to achieve. We find ourselves in the same position. Would very much like to pm you and believe we need to make 3x posts first in order to do that. Hoping the thread is still alive?
Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:40 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Stef
If the info is so useful why not post it on here for all to get benefit?
Old Aug 8th 2018, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

TonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Stef
This is so useful. I am new to the group. I will quickly post 3 comments so I can message you directly!
Old Aug 8th 2018, 8:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Stef

Could you possibly post the info here so that others can benefit from it, rather than people making up posts just to be able to get the information from you via PM.

Thanks ever so much
Old Aug 8th 2018, 8:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyWFC
This is so useful. I am new to the group. I will quickly post 3 comments so I can message you directly!
Welcome to BE!

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 8th 2018 at 8:27 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Could you possibly post the info here so that others can benefit from it, rather than people making up posts just to be able to get the information from you via PM.

Thanks ever so much
This forum does not allow attachments to the posts so people do have to pM me with an email address. The letters are attachments.
I understand that there is a wide interest in this, but I am happy to email people directly. Also each individual case will be different and I do not want to be held to account by people who will inevitably fit the information to meet their own ends, when that may not be appropriate. They have to understand that the 25% maximum lump sum tax free payment only refers to up to 25% of their Crystallisation figure. Some people transfer pensions between providers and this does not refer to them or to the monthly pension they receive as income....which must be declared and will be taxed by Canada irrespective of where it has come from.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 8:39 pm
Banned

This forum does not allow attachments to the posts so people do have to pM me with an email address. The letters are attachments.
I understand that there is a wide interest in this, but I am happy to email people directly. Also each individual case will be different and I do not want to be held to account by people who will inevitably fit the information to meet their own ends, when that may not be appropriate. They have to understand that the 25% maximum lump sum tax free payment only refers to up to 25% of their Crystallisation figure. Some people transfer pensions between providers and this does not refer to them or to the monthly pension they receive as income....which must be declared and will be taxed by Canada irrespective of where it has come from.

Yes it does... up to 10Mb per document or image - and you can upload several per post. Presumably you have the attachments saved on your laptop / computer as either images or docs or similar?

If you look below the message box when creating a new post, you'll see 'manage attachments' - click on that and it will take you to a link to upload your doc or image (or video).

Attached Thumbnails READ ME. PENSION RULES UK to Canada-attachment-detail.jpg   READ ME. PENSION RULES UK to Canada-attachment-1.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 8th 2018 at 8:42 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If the info is so useful why not post it on here for all to get benefit?
i didnt realise that I could attach photos and documents on the site until Siouxsie just told me. As I needed to be able to attach pictures taken of our documents, sending me an email address through my PM was the safest way. Lets be clear about something here. I am only sharing this information to help people who could find themselves in a similar position to the one we were in when we filed out 2015 taxes. After being told we owed nearly $40k I felt suicidal having only come out of Bankruptcy at the end of 2014, so that news was devastating. I am not giving anyone the information for any personal gain and if you see the information which has come from CRA and still dont believe it, then you would deserve to throw tax at it and be poorer as a result. I am not interested in trolls who want to put the whole thing down and try to rubbish what I am saying. This has come direct from CRA.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

TonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond repute

i didnt realise that I could attach photos and documents on the site until Siouxsie just told me. As I needed to be able to attach pictures taken of our documents, sending me an email address through my PM was the safest way. Lets be clear about something here. I am only sharing this information to help people who could find themselves in a similar position to the one we were in when we filed out 2015 taxes. After being told we owed nearly $40k I felt suicidal having only come out of Bankruptcy at the end of 2014, so that news was devastating.
This information will be of great value to many. I look forward to seeing the paperwork.

As a matter of interest, has anyone challenged the CRA on this and if so, what was the outcome?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It wasn't intended to be rude. You got a ruling in your favour so it is something to celebrate.

I said up thread that sometimes the CRA choose administrative positions that are not in strict accordance with the law. This appears to be a new one. You are helping others as many will now appeal the initial assessment of their 25%. It will be interesting to see if other tax centres agree.
Thank you. I was starting to feel that I had made a mistake even telling anyone about this. I know you have been giving people other advise and this was meant to help you as well. It is hard when you rely on people interpretting Legislation and it becomes a bit like Chinese Whispers....if you put 10 people in a room and gave them some legal jargon to plough through....there would be lots of differing views. Having been a Police Officer I am aware of how much misinterpretation there is. It just did not make sense to me that CRA could think it okay to take money from pension pots in this way....after all you can both win and inherit money....(provided tax was paid on the deceaseds estate befor the divvy up, in the country of origin)....so I thought this wrong and is why we challenged it. I am just surprised that it hasnt been challenged before and people were just paying a huge portion of their Pension pot to a Canadian entity who had no input in the accumulation and it had nothing to do with Canada. I do agree that the monthly pension income is taxable here in Canada.
Hope this makes sense. I am afraid I tried to do a new post yesterday to include the attachments but it came out completely messed up, for some reason, so people will have to PM me. I have aske Siouxie for advice

Last edited by lins and Stef McLachlan; Aug 9th 2018 at 12:45 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

You made the correct call that's for sure in letting others know about this. I did PM you yesterday and included my email address.

Thanks again for all.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TonyWFC
This information will be of great value to many. I look forward to seeing the paperwork.

As a matter of interest, has anyone challenged the CRA on this and if so, what was the outcome?
we challenged this and still have to go to Tax Court on the remaining $8k because my husband was not working, he was fired when he had to return to duty in the UK following his three year career break and in order to retire from the Police. Asked for six weeks and was told no, as was a holiday balackout period over Christmas. But his return to Duty was a duty commitment and not a vacation and he had to work a month in order to take his early retirement. So hie earnings were knly EI and reduced EI because of the pension income too. I also shared his pension as I was on low earnings, so he could not owe $8k in tax on an income of under $20k. CRA worked with his UK figures when they should not have done once they were made aware that it fell under the 25% tax free criteria.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.