Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Range cooker in Canada?

Range cooker in Canada?

Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:23 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Range cooker in Canada?

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Is there the option of LPG?

As it has approaching twice the energy of natural gas, its very good for cooking, wok’s etc are much easier to use. Dual fuel cookers with lpg or natural gas can give you the best of both worlds, and a lot have low electrical power ovens, in the uk a normal 13a plug is used so for those who are only allowed 110 volts it should be workable.
I'm leaning towards a dual fuel range in our new kitchen. Will have to be LPG but we're having a LPG fireplace as well. Aside from the better control and efficiency I like the redundancy in case of power outages. (Any fireplace we install will be a convection heat model that still works when the power is out).
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like this one is the front-runner for Mrs Hurlabrick - a Thor 48" dual fuel (natural or LPG gas burners and electric ovens).

From Costco - Steep at $4999 + Tax though, but hey! At least I get a small percentage with my membership.
Attached Thumbnails Range cooker in Canada?-imageservice.jpg  
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
...we already have my mother in law's better than ours stored in the garage. She brought it when she moved here in 2011 and we didn't have the heart to replace ours so soon...
This got me thinking after I posted and I decided to switch them, so we did yesterday.

It's the same size as ours but it's a ceramic glass top rather than the old fashioned but still good enough coils on our other one. She bought it only a few months before she joined us. It works.

But there still doesn't seem to be a way of having something cook for whatever start/end time you want to set if you're going out. That seemed to be a feature of even the most basic cookers in t he UK. It was certainly on the one I bought in 1984 for my new house and it was on those my parents had before that.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:11 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

But there still doesn't seem to be a way of having something cook for whatever start/end time you want to set if you're going out. That seemed to be a feature of even the most basic cookers in t he UK. It was certainly on the one I bought in 1984 for my new house and it was on those my parents had before that.
Both our ovens and the stove top can be programmed to commence at a given time, and either turn off after a determined period or when a temperature probe (used in a joint of meat for example) reaches a certain temperature.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Can you get get gas where you are moving to?
Here, beyond the black stump, it's usual to have a gas stove and furnace. The propane truck goes everywhere. All the stoves (total of 3) I've purchased have been jetted for natural gas but supplied with jets and instructions for propane, same as furnaces.

At one house we only used propane for the stove. It was an era of serious cooking and yet the fuel cost was $75, a year.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 1st 2017 at 11:19 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Both our ovens and the stove top can be programmed to commence at a given time, and either turn off after a determined period or when a temperature probe (used in a joint of meat for example) reaches a certain temperature.
Would I be correct in assuming that these are not your common or garden $500 or $600 ranges?

Every cooker I ever knew in the UK had the timed cook feature. When I bought my house in 84 I had to manage with a pop-up toaster and a contact grill (like today's panini grills) that had an adjustable hinge (for want of a better word) so that a shallow dish could be used for something resembling a casserole.

As soon as I could afford it I bought the cheapest cooker possible from either Comet or Curries. It had the timed cook feature.

I just took a look at BestBuy from low price and up and they have 23 models before you get to one that has it.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:58 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Looks like this one is the front-runner for Mrs Hurlabrick - a Thor 48" dual fuel (natural or LPG gas burners and electric ovens).

From Costco - Steep at $4999 + Tax though, but hey! At least I get a small percentage with my membership.
Just looked on the Costco website. Does Mrs Hurlabrick know you are a cheapskate? What's wrong with this one? https://www.costco.ca/Fulgor-Milano-...100294479.html
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Just looked on the Costco website. Does Mrs Hurlabrick know you are a cheapskate? What's wrong with this one? https://www.costco.ca/Fulgor-Milano-...100294479.html
Yean but, no but..... It doesn't have two ovens. And yes, I am a cheapskate! If you want pricey, try Wolf with those cherished red knobs!!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This got me thinking after I posted and I decided to switch them, so we did yesterday.

It's the same size as ours but it's a ceramic glass top rather than the old fashioned but still good enough coils on our other one. She bought it only a few months before she joined us. It works.

Every range that we have had in Canada has had the time feature .... from the el cheapo one in the apartment from 1968-72, to the Sears range we bought in 1972 and lasted until about 2010, and finally the Maytag that we bought as replacement.

None of them were very expensive, certainly not over $600>

The Maytag has a Delay button on the clock face where all the cooking choices are displayed.

Have you tried looking in the Instruction Booklet for your m-i-l's range to find the instructions for delayed cooking??

If lost, try going online and seeing what you can find.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:37 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a range cooker, it seems silly to spend a fortune on a domestic range cooker when professional grade gas or lpg ranges are actually a lot cheaper? In the uk i can buy a rangemaster ‘professional’ home range for 1600 pounds, but i can buy a much more powerful really professional range for less. I have a sous chef relative who always uses sealed ‘bullseye’ ranges, no visible gas flames, just a huge cast iron surface with different heats in different zones with huge burners beneath. Look at this

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/lincat-sil...-range/gj678-p

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/thor-6-bur...-range/gl173-p

OG8002/P | Lincat Catering Equipment

http://www.lincat.co.uk/products/ran...anges/og8005-p

Last edited by uk_grenada; Oct 2nd 2017 at 8:40 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hurlabrick,

I empathise with you completely. We left our Alpha Range cooker behind and it seems here that kitchens are very much an after thought. It doesnt look like a lot of people here in Canada spend a lot of time baking cakes and breads or even the traditional sunday roast!!
Deep fried seems to be the order of the day unfortunately.
Our range cooker was oil fired which also heated our radiators and water. The bottom oven ran at 20% less than the top oven which was great for stews and casseroles. The top oven was great for things like the big bird at Christmas which just slid straight in there. If we ever get the chance over here I think we will design our own "Farmhouse Kitchen" some day. For now memories of those sweet aromas will have to suffice!!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by scilly
Have you tried looking in the Instruction Booklet for your m-i-l's range to find the instructions for delayed cooking??

If lost, try going online and seeing what you can find.
She hasn't found it yet but there just aren't enough buttons - just to set the time, temp and whether broiler or bake and off.
I've had a brief look online and I found the same make that looks identical except for coils and it advertises no delay feature.

Those that do feature delayed cook, I can see many more buttons in the pictures.

In the duplex I used to have, the original cookers plus the two I bought as replacements over the years, they all had it but thinking about it now, they were like the UK ones I knew where it's on the clock with hands rather like an old alarm clock - except that you set the start time and either push the knob in or pull out so it will come on later.

Although smaller cookers, they were much more expensive.

Our old cooker - bought around 2008 for $350 (down from $500) - had a clock display and timer. No other buttons at all.
Maybe that's why it was $150 off

Last edited by BristolUK; Oct 2nd 2017 at 9:46 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

She hasn't found it yet but there just aren't enough buttons - just to set the time, temp and whether broiler or bake and off.
I've had a brief look online and I found the same make that looks identical except for coils and it advertises no delay feature.

Those that do feature delayed cook, I can see many more buttons in the pictures.

In the duplex I used to have, the original cookers plus the two I bought as replacements over the years, they all had it but thinking about it now, they were like the UK ones I knew where it's on the clock with hands rather like an old alarm clock - except that you set the start time and either push the knob in or pull out so it will come on later.

Although smaller cookers, they were much more expensive.

Our old cooker - bought around 2008 for $350 (down from $500) - had a clock display and timer. No other buttons at all.
Maybe that's why it was $150 off

Yes, that's what our older ones had. This Maytag is a bit more complicated!!

I haven't actually worked out how the delay works ...... I tried it once, and it didn't come on when I wanted it to. But I'm not worried, because I'm usually in the house, and the times we need timed cooking is much less now than when we were working.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Hi Hurlabrick,

I empathise with you completely. We left our Alpha Range cooker behind and it seems here that kitchens are very much an after thought. It doesnt look like a lot of people here in Canada spend a lot of time baking cakes and breads or even the traditional sunday roast!!
Deep fried seems to be the order of the day unfortunately.
Our range cooker was oil fired which also heated our radiators and water. The bottom oven ran at 20% less than the top oven which was great for stews and casseroles. The top oven was great for things like the big bird at Christmas which just slid straight in there. If we ever get the chance over here I think we will design our own "Farmhouse Kitchen" some day. For now memories of those sweet aromas will have to suffice!!

True!!!

Sunday roast dinner is very much an English thing, and has never really been as important here among non-English. Plus, it was never Sunday lunch as I remember it being in the UK ............... Sunday is for going out and doing things.

We've been here almost 50 years, and during that time, we might be invited out to dinner on any night of the week and be given a roast, but we were among the very few who had a habit of always having a roast on Sunday evening.

We still do have roast dinner on Sunday .....but buy much smaller roasts than we used to, there's only the two of us.

I wouldn't say that deep fried was the order of the day at home ......... but it is more likely to be anything other than a roast.

Nor do most people bake much other than cookies (biscuits to you) and muffins ............ although the "back to the earthers" are doing much more. People are much more likely to buy artisan breads from the local small bakery ........ well, they are here in BC!!!

One thing you do have to watch out for is the inside size of the oven when buying a new range ............. some are much smaller than the outside dimension would suggest because of the thick insulation and will never take a bird. Ours will take up to a 12 lb turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas, with casseroles of sweet potatoes, stuffing etc etc on the bottom shelf. That was one reason why we bought the Maytag!
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:20 am
Oscar nominated

...I haven't actually worked out how the delay works ...... ...I'm not worried, because I'm usually in the house, and the times we need timed cooking is much less now than when we were working.
Ditto.
Sometimes I have to work around watching the footie on the telly but it's easy enough to do bits and pieces before kick off and at half time or just eat a bit late. Occasionally I'll ask MIL to put something on at whatever time. Or if it's a really big game and I don't want to keep missing bits or possible extra time, I'll ask MIL to cook. Or order half price pizza from Domino's.
Sunday roast dinner is very much an English thing
MIL and the stepkids have been converted. If we don't have a roast type dinner on a Sunday, stepdaughter especially misses it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.