Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quick Car Insurance Question

Quick Car Insurance Question

Old Feb 12th 2018, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about
Default Quick Car Insurance Question

So I'm happy with the license exchange (Ontario) if I choose to do it and I can use any license to buy a car.

What I can't find any information on is what address to use for insurance? When I moved to the US I used my work address and changed it once our rental was sorted.

Will it be the same for Ontario? Just use work until a permanent address is sorted? Like the majority of people, I'm expecting a couple of weeks in a hotel/airbnb etc, but hoping I can fly out before the 'move' and maybe sort a place then.

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2018, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Car Insurance Question

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
So I'm happy with the license exchange (Ontario) if I choose to do it and I can use any license to buy a car.

What I can't find any information on is what address to use for insurance? When I moved to the US I used my work address and changed it once our rental was sorted.

Will it be the same for Ontario? Just use work until a permanent address is sorted? Like the majority of people, I'm expecting a couple of weeks in a hotel/airbnb etc, but hoping I can fly out before the 'move' and maybe sort a place then.

Thanks
The car insurance guys are going to want an address where the car is deemed to be kept overnight and you will need to change address when or each time you move.

You won't be wanting car insurance until you have a car and I assume you won't buy a car until you are over here for good, in which case you will at least have a hotel address.

Best to ask the broker or insurer when the time comes which address they fancy. Either way, there will be a solution, so not worth worrying about.

Not sure about your 'if I chose to do it' regarding the licence exchange. You MUST exchange your licence within 60 days once you land as PR.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

I'll be under a TWP, so I get a choice then (although I'm still going to exchange, so it's a mute point lol)

Yep, just wanted clarification that I could use any address (hotel etc) once I'm there.

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2018, 5:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be under a TWP, so I get a choice
I don't believe you do. Seasonal Agricultural Workers are exempt and short term temporary workers. If you have a TWP valid longer than 12 months, no exemption.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be under a TWP, so I get a choice then (although I'm still going to exchange, so it's a mute point lol)

Yep, just wanted clarification that I could use any address (hotel etc) once I'm there.

Thanks
Like British insurers, they will want to know 'where the car will be kept overnight' and 'how / where it will be stored' (i.e. in a locked garage, parked on the street etc.). Certainly location affects premiums in the UK and I suspect in Canada as well.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 5:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
location affects premiums in the UK and I suspect in Canada as well.
It does.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It does.
It is the second determinant of auto insurance premiums in Canada. It is more important than the type of vehicle (excluding exotics) and much more important than the manner of storage used for the vehicle. Only the characteristics of the drivers are more important, considerations such as age, claims and conviction history and the ability to distinguish between homonyms.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Already knew I would be paying through the nose.

Just wanted to make sure I could get something if work starts before house.