Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Questions around the hidden costs and factors buying a used car - Ontario

Questions around the hidden costs and factors buying a used car - Ontario

Old Oct 20th 2016, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions around the hidden costs and factors buying a used car - Ontario

Wonder if people can share any knowledge about some of the costs over and above the purchase price of a buying used car. Not had to much luck in my searching but have some rough ideas of the items. It appears a little overly complicated compared to the UK and AU.

Looking for some feedback and anything I may I missed or can be discounted.

Registration
Breakdown cover
License Plate - 1 off - which moves with you car to next car.
Vehicle Permit
License Plate Sticker
Drive Clean Vehicle Emissions
Taxes
Transferring Ownership
MTO Registration
RWC/Safety Certificate
Used Vehicle Information Pack - Selling
Used Vehicle Information Pack - Buyer ask to see
Bill of Sale
RACV/RAC/AA type vehicle inspection - 1 off
Old Oct 20th 2016, 6:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions around the hidden costs and factors buying a used car - Ontario

Buying and Selling a Used Vehicle in Ontario Some of the costs are shown plus through the links.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/register...te-and-sticker

https://www.ontario.ca/page/drive-clean-test

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 20th 2016 at 6:24 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions around the hidden costs and factors buying a used car - Ontario

Thanks Siouxie for the links. I had already read them, but was looking to see if I had thought of everything.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

It really surprised me to find that 13% tax is added on to the price of a used car - it all seemed very odd, coming from a system where VAT is only levied once on a car (or other item).
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Collie
It really surprised me to find that 13% tax is added on to the price of a used car - it all seemed very odd, coming from a system where VAT is only levied once on a car (or other item).
I hear you, and it has to be paid every time you sell it. Someone is making a small fortune and kinda kills the second hand market.