Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons of Emigrating to Canada from UK

Pros and Cons of Emigrating to Canada from UK

Old Jul 30th 2016, 2:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros and Cons of Emigrating to Canada from UK

Originally Posted by Steve_
What are you on about? That's complete bollocks!
Again, if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't. It would me. People at work learn the plot of a series so they know who lives and dies and then they watch it so the order of the episodes doesn't matter; they already know what's going to happen. That may be fine but I don't think it's better than having the episodes presented in a more logical order.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

WTH has how long something been on the TV got to do with how good it is?
That's a bit like asking why so many people buy a certain make of car or something. Do you think it might be because they like it?
And might they like it because it meets their requirements which might in other words mean it's good?

I realise that 'popular' doesn't necessarily mean good but sometimes it does and, frankly, it's a bit silly to be in denial about it, opinions aside.

Coronation St, Eastenders etc have no appeal for me but I'm not daft enough to think they're not any good.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...Imagine it's not a drama but a sporting event. The adverts fall at the time of the goals so the goals aren't shown
I visited Seattle in 1978 and I was watching a game on TV and there was a commercial break during play. I was astonished.

Even more so when coverage returned and I'd missed a goal.

I understand that you do not and that's fine but I don't see how you can argue that it's actually better than seeing the game complete with the goals.
Didn't someone once say goals were overrated?
Old Jul 30th 2016, 10:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I visited Seattle in 1978 and I was watching a game on TV and there was a commercial break during play. I was astonished.

Even more so when coverage returned and I'd missed a goal.
I don't know if it's still the case but when I used to watch iced hockey at the Forum or at MLG play would stop in real life while the adverts were shown on television.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it's still the case but when I used to watch iced hockey at the Forum or at MLG play would stop in real life while the adverts were shown on television.
This also happens during CFL games
Old Jul 30th 2016, 10:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
This also happens during CFL games
The CFL is televised? Who knew!
Old Jul 31st 2016, 12:04 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

The CFL is televised? Who knew!
I'm probably of the mind that I'm not that worried that over the last 7 years of being in Canada that I didn't know that either
Old Jul 31st 2016, 2:06 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I still say TV overall is better here than in the UK.
I like to think that after a number of years on BE I try to answer queries such as "what to pack/bring etc" with an enthusiasm that belies the fact that I've seen a 100 queries just like it posted before...

Tonight I am surprised....what part of rose encrusted super Canada do you live in that makes you think that anything you have view is better than in the UK? Whatever you are on can I take it too?

Perhaps you have assimilated to a point where you think heavily tattooed rednecks selling illegal liquor, illegally hunting or driving on ice roads, building wooden homes etc, etc, is good watching?

I don't miss the UK, I haven't lived there for a long time...but British television is an enviable item, and it's not for nothing that it is exported so successfully and admired worldwide?
Old Jul 31st 2016, 4:16 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I like to think that after a number of years on BE I try to answer queries such as "what to pack/bring etc" with an enthusiasm that belies the fact that I've seen a 100 queries just like it posted before...

Tonight I am surprised....what part of rose encrusted super Canada do you live in that makes you think that anything you have view is better than in the UK? Whatever you are on can I take it too?

Perhaps you have assimilated to a point where you think heavily tattooed rednecks selling illegal liquor, illegally hunting or driving on ice roads, building wooden homes etc, etc, is good watching?

I don't miss the UK, I haven't lived there for a long time...but British television is an enviable item, and it's not for nothing that it is exported so successfully and admired worldwide?
Old Jul 31st 2016, 4:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Tonight I am surprised....what part of rose encrusted super Canada do you live in that makes you think that anything you have viewed is better than in the UK?
This Hour Has 222 Minutes.

<slits wrists>
Old Jul 31st 2016, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This Hour Has 222 Minutes.

<slits wrists>
Would being forced fed episodes of Little Mosque on the Prairie, Corner Gas, Steven and Chris, Being Erica, Schitt's Creek, Mr D or Murdoch Mysteries help in any way?
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Would being forced fed episodes of Little Mosque on the Prairie, Corner Gas, Steven and Chris, Being Erica, Schitt's Creek, Mr D or Murdoch Mysteries help in any way?
<slits wrists>

<PD's wrists>
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
<slits wrists>

<PD's wrists>
Ha. Ha. With you living in Quebexico you get such gems as

Admittedly it was a 1985 commercial
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I don't know. I've heard of a couple of those programmes but aside from Murdoch Mysteries (which is crap), I've never watched any of them.

Perhaps it's time to <slit throats> in Canada?
Old Jul 31st 2016, 10:14 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm now avidly waiting for Steve to post on the Gogglebox thread, recommending some Canadian programs to watch, I'm amazed he hasn't posted any recommendations to date given how marvellous Canadian TV apparently is
His response would probably be that he had a life...unlike the rest of us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.