Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Professional flexibility - how flexible can you really be?

Professional flexibility - how flexible can you really be?

Old Jun 28th 2001, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

lukedulaq is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my visa as an independant "travailleur", describing myself as a set designer / graphical illustrator. this was effectively my job title when I applied.

I currently work as as an architect. When i was applying this profession was on the quebec and federal exclusion list. Since my application and acceptance the goal posts have been changed and apparently architects are allowed. (at least in quebec)

I know that there are professional corporations that restrict the use of the word architect and such like. However my question is this.

Does anyone think that my residency is compromised by the fact that I used a convenient job description to get around the exclusion list. Is this likely to cause me problems.

My intention is to get the best job with any of my graphic, architectural, design, computer or language skills. The job title architect is not my motivation, it may become so if I find suitable employment - but living l'Amerique en Francais is my motivation for immigration.

Tell me what you think. Will I be able to adapt in Canada?

Luke
Old Jun 29th 2001, 11:38 am
James Metcalfe

As long as you did not receive yor visa by fraud or mis representation you have no
problems. The visa gets you to the door of Canada but once you are in, Immigrtaion or
the government of Canada does not care what you do. If you want to drive a truck or
wash dishes or go fishing or any job which does ot mave mandatory registration or
licensing requirments the government does not care.

Jim Metcalfe, Consultant and former visa officer

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >