Reload this Page >

Private school teaching roles in Vancouver

Private school teaching roles in Vancouver

Old Aug 23rd 2014, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Girafarig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private school teaching roles in Vancouver

Hi everyone,

My partner has recently been offered the chance to relocate to Vancouver with her work and I would very much like to be able to join her as we've been together for 4 years now. I'm working as a primary teacher in the UK at the moment, having just completed my first year as a newly qualified teacher.

I'm currently looking into whether I’d be able to continue my career after moving to Canada. I've contacted a number of school boards in the metro area who have explained that the employment situation for elementary teachers in the public sector in Vancouver is not particularly promising. As a result, I've begun to look at the private sector but it’s proving quite difficult to get any information. I was hoping someone might be able to give me some information on the recruitment prospects in private or international schools in Vancouver? Are things any better than in the public sector?

Thanks,
James
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 4:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private school teaching roles in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Girafarig
Hi everyone,

My partner has recently been offered the chance to relocate to Vancouver with her work and I would very much like to be able to join her as we've been together for 4 years now. I'm working as a primary teacher in the UK at the moment, having just completed my first year as a newly qualified teacher.

I'm currently looking into whether I’d be able to continue my career after moving to Canada. I've contacted a number of school boards in the metro area who have explained that the employment situation for elementary teachers in the public sector in Vancouver is not particularly promising. As a result, I've begun to look at the private sector but it’s proving quite difficult to get any information. I was hoping someone might be able to give me some information on the recruitment prospects in private or international schools in Vancouver? Are things any better than in the public sector?

Thanks,
James
They pay significantly less and have much less protection and benefits.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, I had heard that private schools pay less in general but I wasn't aware that there was less protection as well.

I'm actually more interested in whether I would be any more likely to find any full time roles in a private school versus the public sector. What's most important to me is that I can continue my career in Canada and not end up without a job if I did chose to relocate with my partner.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you continue your research. Make calls. Use BE contacts...quite a few academics on this board. Vancouver is not an easy place to make a living or career imho, most people stick it out for other reasons, it seems. Unless you are grossly independently wealthy of course. Best of luck.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I've emailed a number of private schools over the last week or so but I haven't heard anything back from them so far which is a little discouraging - I'm hoping it's simply a case of them being on holiday at the moment.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 7:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Girafarig
Yeah, I've emailed a number of private schools over the last week or so but I haven't heard anything back from them so far which is a little discouraging - I'm hoping it's simply a case of them being on holiday at the moment.
It most likely is. I know some administrators that religiously won't check their messages or emails before the start of school.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, Gira. When school holidays are over, Skype is your friend too.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 3:38 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to become Certified to teach in BC.
Teacher certification in BC does not require you to be a landed immigrant or have relevant work authorization documents. After you make application and are formally evaluated by the Teacher Regulation Branch, you may be issued a teaching certificate right away provided you qualify. The application process typically takes from two to six months, depending on the time it takes for the Teacher Regulation Branch to receive all your documents. The evaluation is usually completed within a month thereafter.
https://www.bcteacherregulation.ca/faq.aspx#AppOut

https://www.bcteacherregulation.ca/T...ppProcess.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 24th 2014 at 3:43 am.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's much appreciated. I'm holding off on applying for the BC teaching certificate until I'm more certain on the job situation. Fingers crossed anyway
Old Aug 24th 2014, 1:42 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie, that may not apply to private schools. I know ours require OCT or equivalent . we will take people without provincial qualifications because we know what a pain and long drawn out process it is BUT competition in the private sector is fierce, you need to be able to offer something special. Most of our recruitment is word of mouth.

Its all about who you know.

The CAIS website has job listings for private schools who are affiliated.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 3:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Siouxie, that may not apply to private schools. I know ours require OCT or equivalent . we will take people without provincial qualifications because we know what a pain and long drawn out process it is BUT competition in the private sector is fierce, you need to be able to offer something special. Most of our recruitment is word of mouth.

Its all about who you know.

The CAIS website has job listings for private schools who are affiliated.
Thanks for that Zoe, I had looked at a few private school vacancies and they had all said they required Provincial certificates but it's good to know there are some that don't.

Old Aug 24th 2014, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Thanks Zoe, that's very interesting to hear. When you say that competition is fierce do you feel that it's just as difficult as in the public sector or do roles come up more often? And in relation to offering something special, do you mean academically or extracurricular? I only ask because I have a masters degree in Biology, but I'm aware that at elementary level in the public sector, there doesn't seem to be an interest for specifically science related roles.