Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Prescription from Canada?

Prescription from Canada?

Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prescription from Canada?

One of my more unusual posts...

My cat was diagnosed with asthma and the vet has prescribed oral steroids and an inhaler. She's filled the oral steroid RX directly, but has advised that I need to purchase the inhaler -Fluticasone - from a pharmacy. She said to go online to get the best price and the vet would send the script to my chosen pharmacy.

She also advised that it would be cheaper in Canada. Anyone know if there's an animal equivalent to goodrx.com or advice on how to search for prices in Canada. Clueless here, just about got my head around how human healthcare works!
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription from Canada?

Might have more luck asking in the Canadian forums? Could move this if you'd prefer?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes please Bob. Was about to bite the bullet and pay $300+ for an inhaler for a cat!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Yes please Bob. Was about to bite the bullet and pay $300+ for an inhaler for a cat!!!!
I've moved the thread into the Canada forum.

How does a cat use an inhaler?

Are the meds for animal use only? If not why not use GoodRX?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 23rd 2016 at 10:43 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 11:36 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I had to google it! It is hard enough trying to teach erm ... Shall we say , slightly dim patients of ours to use them and cats are quite bright.. so I'm told.. though obviously I prefer dogs

This is how you use an inhaler on a cat

Almost certainly similar constituents to a human one but probably 10 times the price

Human fluticasone is about $100 Canadian per inhaler... So about $20 U.S.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 23rd 2016 at 11:39 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I had to google it! It is hard enough trying to teach erm ... Shall we say , slightly dim patients of ours to use them and cats are quite bright.. so I'm told.. though obviously I prefer dogs

This is how you use an inhaler on a cat

http://youtu.be/YOS9aHBLy7g

Almost certainly similar constituents to a human one but probably 10 times the price

Human fluticasone is about $100 Canadian per inhaler... So about $20 U.S.
Thanks for that.

I have fluticasone...due to yet another flippin' chest infection. Can't remember how much it cost from Rexall...as I had antibiotics too.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 1:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canadadrugs.com/products...&commit=Search (most often recommended on the cat site)
http://www.buylowdrugs.com/search.ph...rm=Fluticasone
Medication Search - Buy Prescriptions Online - Order Medications Online
Buy Fluticasone Prescription Online - Online Canadian Pharmacy

There's some useful info on this site: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/222741/flovent-prices (if you read through there's also some discount codes) and general info on cat asthma issues Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - Inhaled Medications

You may need to check whether they can ship to the US though.

Old Mar 24th 2016, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Once I get the inhaler, the cat and I have to go for a lesson!!

Yes, it's the same as the human version. The price on GoodRX was from $330 GoodRx Mobile

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://www.canadadrugs.com/products...&commit=Search (most often recommended on the cat site)
Prescription Drugs Search
Medication Search - Buy Prescriptions Online - Order Medications Online
Buy Fluticasone Prescription Online - Online Canadian Pharmacy

There's some useful info on this site: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/222741/flovent-prices (if you read through there's also some discount codes) and general info on cat asthma issues Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - Inhaled Medications

You may need to check whether they can ship to the US though.

Thank you, I'll check this out. It was the vet who suggested shipping from Canada. She said to find a pharmacy and she'd send the script there.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 1:57 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Once I get the inhaler, the cat and I have to go for a lesson!!

Yes, it's the same as the human version. The price on GoodRX was from $330 GoodRx Mobile

Thank you, I'll check this out. It was the vet who suggested shipping from Canada. She said to find a pharmacy and she'd send the script there.
I will be interested if you manage it- I am a physician licences in Canada, I faxed a prescription to a U.S. pharmacy for a patient for meds that they were on and that they really needed (anti-depressants) and they wouldn't accept it - it would be ironic if you succeed getting a Px approved sent up to Canada by an American vet for a cat, great for you but I have to say somewhat irritating for me

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 24th 2016 at 1:59 am.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I will be interested if you manage it- I am a physician licences in Canada, I faxed a prescription to a U.S. pharmacy for a patient for meds that they were on and that they really needed (anti-depressants) and they wouldn't accept it - it would be ironic if you succeed getting a Px approved sent up to Canada by an American vet for a cat, great for you but I have to say somewhat irritating for me
I experienced similar a couple of years ago...but it was from my US doctor to Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:21 am
I need a walk

I experienced similar a couple of years ago...but it was from my US doctor to Canada.
It is daft isn't it? I have done successfully once before, maybe it depends on the pharmacy- that was a couple of years ago, maybe the rules changed?
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It is daft isn't it? I have done successfully once before, maybe it depends on the pharmacy- that was a couple of years ago, maybe the rules changed?
Maybe...but I can understand why one country will not honour a script from another. How does the pharmacy know it's genuine?
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:34 am
I need a walk

Maybe...but I can understand why one country will not honour a script from another. How does the pharmacy know it's genuine?
Why on earth would a U.S Pharmacy reject a prescription from a Dr S.Tinky Pup? I have to say that I was furious!
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Why on earth would a U.S Pharmacy reject a prescription from a Dr S.Tinky Pup? I have to say that I was furious!
Maybe the cold, wet nose was a give away.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:46 am
I need a walk

Maybe the cold, wet nose was a give away.
Yeh , and I chewed half of the prescription which may not have helped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.