Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PR from the UK - International Driving Permit or BC License?

PR from the UK - International Driving Permit or BC License?

Old Aug 22nd 2017, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR from the UK - International Driving Permit or BC License?

Hi one and all,

Hope all are well.

I understand from reading various posts that part of the process of obtaining a BC driver's license involves handing over to the relevant authorities there the applicant's UK driver's license. With regard to this, my questions are:

1. Is this only the case if the applicant is seeking to transfer his/her license in order to be able to drive immediately without the hassle of undertaking the theory/driving test over there?
  2. Would it be better (or even possible at all under PR status) to obtain an International Driving Permit, on a 12 month rolling basis, which would allow one to also hold their UK driving license?
How much of a headache, from your experiences, has it been to return to the UK having given up your UK driving license?

Thank you in advance and as always for your insight and opinions, greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR from the UK - International Driving Permit or BC License?

I've never known anyone have an issue if back in the UK. If back in the UK temporarily my husband and I just hire cars on our Albertan license without any issues.
For people I know who've gone back permanently they just switch back from their Canadian license to their UK one- hand over their Canadian one and get the Uk one back. Never heard of any issues.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
I've never known anyone have an issue if back in the UK. If back in the UK temporarily my husband and I just hire cars on our Albertan license without any issues.
For people I know who've gone back permanently they just switch back from their Canadian license to their UK one- hand over their Canadian one and get the Uk one back. Never heard of any issues.
Thank you for your prompt response. I am glad to hear that. I am about to make the move and am scouring through all of the posts trying to figure it all out, and misunderstood a few that I read.

When you rent a car, would they also normally provide short term insurance cover for the period you have the car hired?
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Thank you for your prompt response. I am glad to hear that. I am about to make the move and am scouring through all of the posts trying to figure it all out, and misunderstood a few that I read.

When you rent a car, would they also normally provide short term insurance cover for the period you have the car hired?
Yeah- so, some credit cards give you insurance coverage up to a certain amount- so do check! It can be valuable if you'll be hiring a lot. Otherwise you can just take out the rental companies insurance.
To start with we were just using Avis and getting their insurance with the car hire. It was pretty much $30 a day for the insurance on top of the rental so it wasn't an issue.
We used them a lot in Calgary and never had an issue- we hired them on our UK license until we switched over to an Albertan one.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

An International Driving Permit is just a translation of your original license, it's not a document entitling one to drive but evidence of the existence of such a document in another language. A language spoken in Canada is close enough to that spoken in the UK as to make the IDP superfluous.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Excellent.

Thank you for your clarifications, really appreciate it guys.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 6:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi one and all,

Hope all are well.

I understand from reading various posts that part of the process of obtaining a BC driver's license involves handing over to the relevant authorities there the applicant's UK driver's license. With regard to this, my questions are:

1. Is this only the case if the applicant is seeking to transfer his/her license in order to be able to drive immediately without the hassle of undertaking the theory/driving test over there?
  2. Would it be better (or even possible at all under PR status) to obtain an International Driving Permit, on a 12 month rolling basis, which would allow one to also hold their UK driving license?
How much of a headache, from your experiences, has it been to return to the UK having given up your UK driving license?

Thank you in advance and as always for your insight and opinions, greatly appreciated.
As a PR and resident of BC, you are required to exchange your license within 90 days - and you can only hold one license.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...r-country.aspx

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
As a PR and resident of BC, you are required to exchange your license within 90 days - and you can only hold one license.

Suzeandmatt, Siouxie & dbd33.... Thank you
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:52 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I hold both my Alberta licence and my UK licence
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I hold both my Alberta licence and my UK licence
Physically, I also have a UK and a Canadian license. Legally, I know, as you do, that only one is valid.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Physically, I also have a UK and a Canadian license. Legally, I know, as you do, that only one is valid.
How are you able to hold both..... or is it better that I do not ask?
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the Albertan's history, but in my case I passed a UK driving test in 1967 and moved to California in 1977. There was/is no reciprocal agreement in place so I a took a California driving test, was issued a CA license and still had my GB license.

In 1982, I moved to Canada (ON) and swapped the California license for an ON one, still having possession of the GB one, which as dbd33 points out was likely invalid.

Nonetheless, on moving to Germany in 1986 I was able to seamlessly swap the technically invalid GB license for a German one (which I still possess)

On returning to ON in 1993, I simply renewed the Canadian one.

Finally, in 2015, I retired back to the UK and just called the DVLA, gave them my name, DOB, last address in the UK from 1977 and they issued a new license for no charge.The nice man from DVLA on the phone even said "Welcome back Dr. Myname".

Last edited by Novocastrian; Aug 23rd 2017 at 3:26 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

My OH and I still have both. There was no exchange we we came to BC.
Even so, don't see the issue with handing in a UK license for a BC one. Keep a copy of your driver number from the UK and easy to get a new license if you ever move back.

Not exchanging a license within 90 days in BC is no big deal if you don't want to drive here. Not doing so and driving can invalidate insurance, or result in subrogation of a claim.

To drive in BC, there is no legal way around the drivers license exchange.

This is a few years old, but not much has changed, UK drivers don't need to take a road test.

ICBC selling insurance to unlicensed drivers - British Columbia - CBC News
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

For example, you swap licenses and they forget to take the foreign one or, as in my case, you obtained the Canadian one before swaps were invented so you still have the foreign one.

I used the UK one to rent cars in the US for many years after I had an Ontario license. I knew that not to be kosher but it allowed me to settle speeding tickets without the points following me.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 23rd 2017 at 3:38 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

For example, you swap licenses and they forget to take the foreign one or, as in my case, you obtained the Canadian one before swaps were invented so you still have the foreign one.

I used the UK one to rent cars in the US for many years after I had an Ontario license. I knew that not to be kosher but it allowed me to settle speeding tickets without the points following me.
Smart thinking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.