Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Neilclairep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by dbd33
Be careful with this. If the house is mortgaged and falls in value and the exchange rate moves against you, you could be stuck with a difficult bill to pay. There are lots of past threads on renting out a house and moving, have a read and be aware that the mortgage holder will want to renegotiate (not by reducing your rate).
Thank you, a very good point - but we have a minimal mortgage on our house (around 20%) so . It would need to fall by a massive amount to be stuck in negative equity- we are lucky in that respect thank goodness. Combined with the rental being double what our current mortgage is (when checking) hopefully we should be covered but defiantly something to explore further.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neilclairep
Thank you, a very good point - but we have a minimal mortgage on our house (around 20%) so . It would need to fall by a massive amount to be stuck in negative equity- we are lucky in that respect thank goodness. Combined with the rental being double what our current mortgage is (when checking) hopefully we should be covered but defiantly something to explore further.
We're going to do the same thing as you. Keep in mind as well that if you decide to move back to the UK you are liable for capital gains tax to the Canadian government on the difference in value of the UK house from when you arrived to when you leave, whether you are selling or not
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
We're going to do the same thing as you. Keep in mind as well that if you decide to move back to the UK you are liable for capital gains tax to the Canadian government on the difference in value of the UK house from when you arrived to when you leave, whether you are selling or not
Oh yes, there's a point. Get the house valued at the day you leave, you'll need that number if you sell it while resident in Canada.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Neilclairep is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't aware if that one - something to definitely factor in!
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:13 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

NS is like marmite. You either love it or hate it.
And agreed, if you have a job/income it can be sweet. It doesnt have an aldi/waitrose/tescos and sainsburys all within 2 miles of each other because it doesnt have the population density of the south of England.
BUT it does have sobeys. superstore, pharmasaave, co-op, costco, M&W meat markets to name the ones that spring to mind. They all have deals, there is choice.

Personally I dont care that I cant buy liquor where I get my teabags. Its no biggie.

Neilclarerep - bring your ski stuff if you make it back in February :-)
Old Nov 10th 2014, 4:16 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
NS is a lovely place with friendly people & sense of community which (I feel) the UK seems to have lost over the years. It's a good place to settle as long as you have the job/income side of things sorted, the right attitude, & are someone who thinks they can adapt to the lifestyle there. The other stuff people complain about is just down to personal preferences. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter if you have to buy alcohol from a different store, err no, just accept that's how it's done there & move on. Don't let other peoples silly little niggles put a grey cloud over your plans.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:22 pm
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasn't aware if that one - something to definitely factor in!
Value in $ or £ ??? Where will you pay tax on the rental ???? Exchange rate should not be a problem as your income will be paid in Canada BUT if you move money from the UK then you have to watch-check XE.com I used to move money. When we lived in Canada 2012/13 it was around a $1.50 today $1.80 big big difference.
Working Bayer's Lake, if you rent for a while check Clayton Park area very close, convenient and safe-stay away from Spryfield !!
So you found The Bicycle Thief !!!! Hope you did not have to pay !!
Graham
Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Howefamily
NS is like marmite. You either love it or hate it.
And agreed, if you have a job/income it can be sweet. It doesnt have an aldi/waitrose/tescos and sainsburys all within 2 miles of each other because it doesnt have the population density of the south of England.
BUT it does have sobeys. superstore, pharmasaave, co-op, costco, M&W meat markets to name the ones that spring to mind. They all have deals, there is choice.

Personally I dont care that I cant buy liquor where I get my teabags. Its no biggie.

Neilclarerep - bring your ski stuff if you make it back in February :-)
I like Marmite The problem with the NSLC it's one big rip off
Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I hear you on your point here in what you were trying to achieve but I just want to say that we grocery shop very differently here to the UK. Back there we used to get Tesco home delivery and for the most part buy the same things each week and roughly spend the same. Here we mostly just buy what's on sale and go to Costco too. So we don't buy a weeks food each week but stock up on what we like when it's on sale and get our fruit and veg. Therefore out freezer and cupboards are fuller than they were in the UK all the time and it's not odd to buy 10 tins of beans because they are on sale one week, or three slabs of cheese.
3 slabs of cheese It's even dearer than milk, ridicules price in NS.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:04 pm
Banned

Thank you all for your responses, I did a lot if thinking in the flight back from Halifax and will say I am a little deflated with the pack of positive responses.
A couple of things
1. I am really not bothered about costs or where I purchase alcohol - this wouldn't make or break my decision, whilst I appreciate it being pointed out there are pages dedicated to it :-(
2. Shopping - I realise I can't compare like for like and Canada has different offers and better offers - this is why I tried to look at those items NOT on offer in either Canada or UK to give worst case scenario. I can't so a full on camp at it use shop but instead did what I could under the circumstances (please let me know how you may have compared shopping costs ?)
3. Friendly Canadians and not taking the friendliness at face value - I am by nature very open minded, but and whether you agree or not is entirely your choice I do take people at face value until given reason not to.

I was entering into this with an open mind , trying to explore options and wanted view points of others - I hadn't expected the negativity around living in Canada (specifically N'S?)
PLEASE let's not live up to what others see the brits as - wingers (I suppose every nationality generalises)
I am happy to have the bad points, but I haven't seen any good points on this thread are there!!
:-( not great for supporting people I understand having to give all views but nothing good does this mean most will be moving back to the uk???
TV is shocking compared to the UK but there are ways of linking to the BBC for free but more on that if you move.
You have 2 choices for TV/Phone/Internet, Bell or East Link so you play one off against the other after introductory offer and should be 100 bucks a month PLUS tax which is shown in few advertised prices. Also buy a car even privately you will get hit with 15% HST/GST another little trick the government has up it's sleeve !!
Old Nov 10th 2014, 9:00 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Op, take all with a pinch of salt , yes there are things more expensive and some less so, if you are willing to adapt and change things then it all swings in round abouts.

I'm perhaps one if the minority but I am very happy in ns, as others have said work is key and this tends to be the driver for people to move from here from what I have seen with friends etc
Old Nov 10th 2014, 9:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming

Op, take all with a pinch of salt , yes there are things more expensive and some less so, if you are willing to adapt and change things then it all swings in round abouts.

I'm perhaps one if the minority but I am very happy in ns, as others have said work is key and this tends to be the driver for people to move from here from what I have seen with friends etc
Little is cheaper and most is dearer, very small example, a haircut in Halifax cheapest was $25 in the UK I pay $9 and no tip expected or required.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you and absolutely agree, the howe family have helped no end through personal messages and dandhill also have been upbeat (Christmas cake made me chuckle) just frustrated at other people's niggles as you rightly say - apologises for those that have been commented it wasn't aimed at you I just wanted both sides :-)
It's only a seasonal urge thankfully
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:25 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
Little is cheaper and most is dearer, very small example, a haircut in Halifax cheapest was $25 in the UK I pay $9 and no tip expected or required.
Kevin from the legion cuts mine. It's free and he will get me a beer out the fridge too
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@graham the eggman

Hope I'm not opening a can of worms but what made you so bitter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.