Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Possibly Moving to Vancouver

Possibly Moving to Vancouver

Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:34 am
Just Joined

adamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond reputeadamm82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possibly Moving to Vancouver

Moving to Vancouver possibly but I am apprehensive.

My wife and I have run the idea of moving to Vancouver in the past but after mentioning it to family we put the idea on hold. But since then we’ve both been looking at it as a serious option we live in London UK now and are tired of the lifestyle / lack of lifestyle.

We are both in our early 30s. In UK we have an income of combined of just about £65k a year. We rent and live a simple life and can afford a car, holidays etc and put some money in the bank each month. But we want a change. I grew up in the UK but I was born in Nova Scotia and lived there for 3 years as a baby so I have a Canadian passport so moving there is not an issue.

I have looked extensively at the costs of renting in Vancouver. They seem to be reasonable outside of the city we are not really bothered about travelling 40-60 minutes to work as it's something we are very used to. And to be honest it seems what they call a small apartment over there is massive compared to some I’ve seen in London!.

Thing is I can’t really work out what is a good and what is a poor salary. I’ve read all sorts of things saying all different amounts you need to live in Vancouver so it’s all very confusing and worrying.

I work for a travel company and my wife works in accounts, I am trying to work out what sort of salary we can be making, also it seems Canadian jobs do not often advertise the salary (Though this is becoming more common in the UK). We would live the same way as we do in London, very sensible with money. Plus we would be taking about $20k+ Canadian dollars savings with us to start.

I’ve heard good things about Vancouver but of course I am a bit worried to make such a big move. The other alternative is to move to Halifax as I have lots of family there that would make a move very very easy but the West Coast attracts us.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly Moving to Vancouver

You can rent a place in the city for about $1,500 and up. A decent enough salary would be $80k and up and if you’re both making at least that you should be okay. Lifestyle is what you make of it. Restaurants and bars are generally mediocre at best, there are parks and lots of water. Beaches are pretty poor but at least there are some. Weather is nice in the summer and if you can afford it get yourself a boat you should as it opens up the place quite considerably. You can get a fairly decent used one for about $40k and moorage will be about $500 -$700 a month depending on the marina. Culturally there’s not much here. Its a young north American city on the edge of nowhere so apart from the odd touring band there’s not much quality in the arts here. The airport is very near the city so you can get off to Mexico, LA or Hawaii when the rain starts to get to you.
You’ll find it hard to make friends but that’s the most appealing aspect to me. Overall, I’d choose to live in London over Vancouver but that said, there are far worse places to live than here. Like anywhere really, just make sure you get decent jobs and you’ll be able to enjoy it.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Lower Mainland and I earn approx. 2.5 times in dollars what I did in pounds in the UK, I don't work in Vancouver itself, but one of the cities nearby on the lower mainland.

You say you're more than happy to commute 60 minutes. Depending on where you get a job - that could put you out in Maple Ridge/Mission (North of the river) or Langley/Abbotsford/Chilliwack. (South of the river) You will be able to rent a decent sized property with a yard from $1500, right up to an acreage, with a 5000sq ft mansion and spectacular views for $3000 and upwards (although these type rentals are more sparse out in the sticks). I currently rent a 4000sq ft lakeside property with 5 acres for $2800/month.

If you're renting in the city - the sky is the limit pricewise - just like London lol

I wouldn't listen to the "you won't make friends" line that some people say on here - it's not true. I would say if you make friends in the UK, you will make friends in Canada. We have made loads of friends here in the 10 months we have been on the ground. We have been to lots of barbeque's, parties, hockey games, pub events and are going to the Okanagan with our Canadian friends at the end of the month for a holiday. Our problem would be more a case of over-subscription - so many things to do and not enough time to do it in!
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 1:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't you couldn't make friends here, I said its difficult. But I'd also question why you'd want to, the people are as dull as naff here.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
My opinion, but i must admitt i always seem to view things differently from most, but my views havent done me wrong in life, it is a lot better me me and the kids here than in the UK.
Move to vancouver, if it doesnt work out then go to halifax.
vancouver is like anywhere it is what you make of it, put in the effort and wherever you go you will enjoy it, otherwise you have

..... what if i .. in your mind

I moved here about nine years ago, divorced now but if i knew that before the move i would still have moved here,
i see and do things i would never have done in the UK, and can afford to do most things i wish to, somethings i cant, but thats life.
but for personal space canada beats the uk hands down.
good luck where you decide to go.
cheers
jerry