Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Possible Job in Langley bc, need advice on areas!!

Possible Job in Langley bc, need advice on areas!!

Old Oct 8th 2015, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible Job in Langley bc, need advice on areas!!

Originally Posted by bc2015
North Shore to Langley is do-able but not pleasant. If you wanted to do it, I would advise picking somewhere close to Second Narrows (Lynn Valley, Seymour etc...) Google says ~40 minutes from where we are on North Shore to Langley and I think you would be going against the traffic flow to downtown. This is over the Port Mann bridge which is tolled now, so you may need to work around that.

We also enjoy living on North Shore - plenty to do for kids, a nice community feel and not too far from downtown (15 minute drive at most times of the day). I would certainly pick it over somewhere like Langley or South Surrey.
It takes on a good day about 1 hour to get to Langley from North Vancouver once on the highway, I've done this trip numerous times and I have never been able to make it in 40 mins and this was not in rush hour times. North Vancouver to central part of Langley which is not right off the Hwy 1 so if working right off Hwy 1, you can probably do it in 40-50 mins.

If one is working in Langley may as well live in Langley area. If you don't have to commute why do it? And also from North Vancouver area your going to have to do a double bridge, and anytime that is involved you risk a less then desirable commute especially the older ones like the Iron Workers, I don't think I have cross it yet without a backup leaving the North Shore.

Port Mann is fine, but the tolls would really add up.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It takes on a good day about 1 hour to get to Langley from North Vancouver once on the highway, I've done this trip numerous times and I have never been able to make it in 40 mins and this was not in rush hour times. North Vancouver to central part of Langley which is not right off the Hwy 1 so if working right off Hwy 1, you can probably do it in 40-50 mins.
That's why I said to live close to Second Narrows. We join the highway just before the bridge and rarely encounter heavy traffic

desirable commute especially the older ones like the Iron Workers,
What has the age of the bridge got to do with anything?
Old Oct 8th 2015, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
That's why I said to live close to Second Narrows. We join the highway just before the bridge and rarely encounter heavy traffic

What has the age of the bridge got to do with anything?
The older bridges lack the capacity to handle the traffic volume and back up considerably more and for longer parts of the day then the newer one's do.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 7:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The older bridges lack the capacity to handle the traffic volume and back up considerably more and for longer parts of the day then the newer one's do.
Second Narrows is a pain in the armpit during rush hour.

The newer bridges are much better simply because Canadians are cheap as **** and would rather sit in traffic for an extra 30 minutes, spend an extra $3 in fuel, than pay the $3.15 bridge toll.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo

The newer bridges are much better simply because Canadians are cheap as **** and would rather sit in traffic for an extra 30 minutes, spend an extra $3 in fuel, than pay the $3.15 bridge toll.
It's bad on a flooding tide as well.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by el_richo

I just pay the toll when going out to the eastern valley, not worth the extra time and gas to avoid it.

The second narrows is a miserable bridge for sure, Lions Gate isn't any better, it's taken us longer to get across that bridge then it took to drive to it.

Metro Vancouver seems to think there isn't a traffic issue or something, the lack of any initiative to improve things is mind boggling.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rejess
The visa issue is a little complex, as we are major Investor/shareholders in a start up company based in BC employing locals. We also own half of a well established connected uk company, so it is a case of transferring his skills to enable crucial development of the canadian side of the business, the decision right now (and why I called it a job offer to simplify) is as to whether or not he is needed more there or here (demand), if that makes sense? And whether we can replicate his skill through local employment/training etc (unlikely). At this time there has been no specific decision made, but it is leaning very much in the direction of the move to BC where he would then be employed as a director of the company we have invested in, We have been advised that a visa shouldnt be a problem, although we obviously need to determine exactly which one is relevant to this particular instance, I presume we will probably need to hire an immigration lawyer/expert to help guide us through the process? ������ Trust me, Im sure I will pitch up on the immigration board asking lots of questions at some point! Lol!

Our intention, if we come, would be on a permanent basis, and I would very much hope we can eventually become citizens, as we are most certainly excited by the idea and possible opportunity of a new adventure! This may all seem premature in terms of asking for area info, but if the decision is taken, it could all happen relatively quickly, and I want to be sure we have done as much research as possible and that we know what to expect so that we can settle quickly.
Re bolded: it certainly does seem as if it could be quite complex. I notice Aviator commented, but otherwise the visa issue seems to be rather swept aside ...

Personally, before getting too excited/into the logistics of a move, I'd be finding out exactly what visa you & husband are eligible for, and how to apply/get it.

In general, visas often take a lot longer to materialise than most people expect.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

This is my first post here, so please forgive me if its in the wrong place!

We are a family with 2 children, one teenager (yr 11) and the other primary age, we currently live in a little lincolnshire village with not much nearby and a rubbish bus service! Lovely countryside, but not much happening unless you fancy a walk or dinner at the pub! Anyway, there is a very real possibility of my husband needing to relocate for work in the Langley area within the next year to 18 months and although I am trying to do as much research as possible, I am struggling to figure out the best areas for us as a family.

If we do come out, we will obviously rent for 6 months to a year first, but because of the kids and settling in schools etc, I want to be sure as much as possible, that we are landing where we intend to stay, As I dont want to move them between schools again if they are settling well.

I anticipate our eventual house purchasing budget to be between $650/$750k (ish) and am noticing some obvious differences between certain areas in terms of what you get for your money. We would be looking for a good sized 4 bed (min) home, in a nice safe area, countryside would be a special bonus, and proximity to amenities and stuff for the kids to do etc is important as we lack this where we are currently, schooling is obviously a high priority as my kids are both in good schools and I dont want that to change.

Obviously we are excited about living nearish to such a great city, so accessibility to vancouver would be desirable too.

The areas I have pinpointed are
North langley, walnut grove, willoughby heights etc...
South surrey
Maple ridge
Fort langley
Coquitlam
Port moody

I would really appreciate any help or advice on some of these areas, schools, amenities, safety, acessibility, commutability/accessibility to langley/vancouver, attractiveness of the local areas and community feel, obviously living in a small village, we know everyone! And although I dont feel the need to have My business out there for all, it is vital that we are somewhere we can easily integrate and make friends etc, somewhere that values community.

I am quite attracted to some of these townhome developments with club house facilities etc, it seems like something the kids would enjoy, but in reality are they just souless developments with not much community feel? There seem to be a few of these in south surrey, and I am attracted by the prospect of being near to white rock... As I think my kids (especially teenager) would enjoy that.

I just dont know! There seems to be so many different options and so much pricing variability,, its so hard to get a real feel for these places... I have watched you tube videos, google earthed, scanned forums etc... And although helpful, it doesnt give you that local insider knowledge.

Do we choose larger home over location? Vice versa? Or is there a way to do both? Sorry if my questions are vague, will happily narrow them down if anyone has any thoughts. Please help! Suggestions and local knowledge welcomed!! Thanks ;-)
We have lived in Coquitlam quite happily for two years. We have a daughter at Elementary school who has settled well. OH and I both commute downtown, he goes on the train and I go by car. There are some lovely places to go hiking, walking, swimming,etc around here, good sports facilities, shopping, and cinemas. Its cheap to eat out as well.
Your problem will be house budget, a lot of things will be out of your price range. Can i suggest looking around Oxbow lake in Port Coquitlam? It has a lake, townhouses with community facilities and well priced...
Old Oct 8th 2015, 9:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Re bolded: it certainly does seem as if it could be quite complex. I notice Aviator commented, but otherwise the visa issue seems to be rather swept aside
Not sure who told the OP the residency permit would not be a problem, but it seems a rather sweeping statement. Plenty of immigration agents are likely to be confident and willing to take the money, but I doubt they would offer any guarantees.

I'd be getting this sorted before deciding on anything else.

In some circumstances this is one business route in
http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/Ab...tion/FAQs.aspx

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 8th 2015 at 9:31 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

paulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond reputepaulb71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Second Narrows is a good choice of area if you want to commute to Langley, my eldest son lives by Second narrows and it is easy to get to his place from ours. I think maybe we all have our own ideals about where to live and the reasons for that area. Maybe you could come and do a reccy to help you decide it can't hurt,
Old Oct 8th 2015, 10:30 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Re bolded: it certainly does seem as if it could be quite complex. I notice Aviator commented, but otherwise the visa issue seems to be rather swept aside ... Personally, before getting too excited/into the logistics of a move, I'd be finding out exactly what visa you & husband are eligible for, and how to apply/get it. In general, visas often take a lot longer to materialise than most people expect.
What Shirtback said. Visas seem to be getting harder and harder to obtain. Do you know what route you'd be applying under?
Old Oct 8th 2015, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Rejess is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to be clear, nobody told us a visa 'wouldnt' be a problem, just that it 'shouldnt' be, based on the expected circumstances of what our application would be based on, tbh i came here looking for some info about areas so that I could gauge whether going through the process would be right for us as a family... To me, it makes sense to do that rather than just randomly apply for a visa and if successful, pitch up with the whole family in a country halfway across the world that we have done no research on? Maybe its just me?... Anyway, our circumstances will undoubtedly present themselves to us in a form which allows us to apply for the correct visa, should the plan go In the direction it appears to be heading. We have not 'just invested' as a shortcut to entry... We have expanded our successful business into canada/north america and my husband may need to be there in order to ensure it is successfully established due to his specific skill set. All I wanted to do, was ask for some friendly advice about nice areas... Not visas (yet). Not unrealistic at all, if we dont get a visa we dont get one, but if we do, I owe it to my family to ensure we are as ready and educated as we can reasonably be from such a distance away. I wholeheartedly appreciate the advice, but please be gentle!, this is such a huge deal, that we want to be sure its what we want and that we can afford it before we agree to the move or go down the visa route (especially seeing as we dont know which one we need to apply for just yet) hence me needing to research local house prices and keep an eye on those markets over the coming year or so.

Last edited by Rejess; Oct 8th 2015 at 10:55 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 10:49 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Is the business already established in Langley? (premises and stuff). I only ask in the context of whether you could move the whole enterprise to somewhere a bit more rural if that's what you prefer. I'm not a city person anymore and your Lincolnshire rural setting sounds lovely. Langley? Hmmmm.
I suppose best would be to come over for a visit and tour around. Horses for courses and all that!
Old Oct 8th 2015, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Rejess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Is the business already established in Langley? (premises and stuff). I only ask in the context of whether you could move the whole enterprise to somewhere a bit more rural if that's what you prefer. I'm not a city person anymore and your Lincolnshire rural setting sounds lovely. Langley? Hmmmm.
I suppose best would be to come over for a visit and tour around. Horses for courses and all that!
It certainly is lovely, if not a little 'local' if you get my drift! Lol! also as pretty as it is, there really isnt much going on, and my kids are bored... Not even takeaways deliver here! Not the be all and end all I know and village life can be charming, but still... It would be nice to order in occasionally! Tbh unfortunately We dont have much say in the location of the business itself, as our canadian business partner is handling that side of things, so we are largely at the mercy of local factors and decisions there... Langley is expected to be the location.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 11:21 pm
"In cruce vincam"

It certainly is lovely, if not a little 'local' if you get my drift! Lol! also as pretty as it is, there really isnt much going on, and my kids are bored... Not even takeaways deliver here! Not the be all and end all I know and village life can be charming, but still... It would be nice to order in occasionally! Tbh unfortunately We dont have much say in the location of the business itself, as our canadian business partner is handling that side of things, so we are largely at the mercy of local factors and decisions there... Langley is expected to be the location.
Delivered takeaway Chinese is probably the thing I miss most about not being in the UK any more. I crave Chinese takeaway so much! If you're only going to rent initially, no harm done if you don't get it completely right first time. Your wish list may well change anyway when you've had some experience of Canadian living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.