Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Positive Work Experience??

Positive Work Experience??

Old Dec 30th 2004, 9:23 am
vanman

Question Positive Work Experience??

We are in the process of applying for our Canadian immigration visa, however since reading about some of the experiences of new immigrants to Canada we are now having second thoughts. Our concerns centre on the employment situation in Canada, particuarly in Vancouver.

Has anybody out there had a positive experience of finding work in Canada? If so please advise! We both have a flexible approach to work, and are not stupid enough to think that we will find a job as soon as we set foot off the plane. But we also don't want to bang our heads against a brick wall in terms of finding work. We have also worked too hard to provide the money for our new life to see it disapear down the drain with nothing to show for it.

Hope someone out there can give us a positive message.

Merry Xmas.

Old Dec 30th 2004, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

illusion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Positive Work Experience??

I have moved from London (UK) to T.O 6months ago with a skilled program visa. I found T.O to be a nice city to live in. One thing you have to remeber is that to be patient. You are not going to find it hard to settle down in CA coming from the UK, apart from getting used to the weather in the winter. But when it comes to finding a job, that is some thing else. It will break you to a point of giving up, but finally it is more likely to get your foot in the job market. But don't forget to have enough saving to last you for a minimum of 1 year to help you settle down.

One thing that is different about UK from CA is job hunting is that, from my experience recruitment agencies in CA are shit, they are Hindrance rather than help, poor service and not cooperative in helping you find a job. So don't depend on them. So the way I have managed to find a job in the IT market is by Networking, direct job application to companies and online job hunting such as workopolis.

Canada has a lot to offer compared to UK, specially with quality of life. You don't have to go far (driving not flying) to do out door activities such as Skiing, Ice Skating, water raffting, sailing, camping, mountain climing, eating out, theater, shopping, Cinema. Unless you take advantage of it, you quality of life is not going to dramatically change or enhance in CA to what it was in the UK.

You can do all this for less than what it cost you in the UK (Not mentioning exchange rate here) for the income you have working and living here. Eventhough the salary here is lower than the UK, the cost of living is low too which compensate for the salary.
Toronto is the world in a city, so you don't feel outsider. You feel part of a bigger world community wtih full of free music and cultral activities through out the summer and excellent value for money winter activities.

Finally, don't forget you have to sacrifies in the begining to get what you want in the end.

Originally Posted by vanman
We are in the process of applying for our Canadian immigration visa, however since reading about some of the experiences of new immigrants to Canada we are now having second thoughts. Our concerns centre on the employment situation in Canada, particuarly in Vancouver.

Has anybody out there had a positive experience of finding work in Canada? If so please advise! We both have a flexible approach to work, and are not stupid enough to think that we will find a job as soon as we set foot off the plane. But we also don't want to bang our heads against a brick wall in terms of finding work. We have also worked too hard to provide the money for our new life to see it disapear down the drain with nothing to show for it.

Hope someone out there can give us a positive message.

Merry Xmas.

Last edited by illusion; Dec 30th 2004 at 3:39 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 1:56 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I guess I know about half a dozen brits in my little area, all are working, none post here with glowing report cards. Some are doing really well in management positions, others are working farms, others are manual labours. If you follow the general advice posted here time and again about networking, and have a half decent resume (in US style) you will do OK in the end, after all most canadians so like Brits. Its hard at first for most to adjust to canadian life, but the majority think its worth sticking out. It sounds like you have no illusions about the job market, which helps, so good luck, better to have a go than wonder "what if" in 20 years time.

FWIW I came here to a waiting job, and after a lay off it took me 3 months to land another engineering job locally (slowed down by summer vacation slow down, which make landing any job in the summer a chore), then after a sudden job loss I went straight back into my old position again. Once you have been here a while the canadian experience thing is a non issue, perhaps its just used to test how serious you are about staying in this country

Thats my 2c on the matter anyway.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 4:29 am
Velouria

it all depends where you settle and what you'll settle for really.

we managed to get everyday jobs a week after we arrived. ok i was working as a waitress and my husband in a video store. but it brought money in as we continued to look. i actually applied for a managerial role in a retail store and got it, despite trying to get work in my field (IT). my husband also found contract work doing office admin stuff. which is what he was doing in the uk. like i said, it all depends on what kind of work you are willing to take.

Old Dec 31st 2004, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Don't forget that just because you had or are having a 'Positive' experience in the UK that it won't go bad and turn into a nightmare. I have been shit on without it being my problem. Caught up in a big power struggle that meant throwing staff at the wall looked good in Court for one party. Long time ago - hence why I am and will work for myself. Life will change. It may start good in Canada for a few years then turn sour. Until you try you won't know.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:13 pm
Glaswegian

Ouch ... people call me negative ...

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:14 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
hey i didnt know you were training people in that! i would have applied....

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:19 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Velouria
hey i didnt know you were training people in that! i would have applied....
Just stand around, it sticks to you after you've been in one of life's bunkers for a while ... the trick is to be able to shake it off again when you're on the upswing.

Happy days are here again .....

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:24 pm
Velouria

Just stand around, it sticks to you after you've been in one of life's bunkers for a while ... the trick is to be able to shake it off again when you're on the upswing.

Happy days are here again .....
that's what i need to learn.. the trick!

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:29 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

What kind of trick are we talking about here?
Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:30 pm
Glaswegian

Repeat after me: "Life is too short for this, don't let the bastards get you down" ... works for me.

I liked Dr Phil's solution for a woman who was complaining about all the pressure a family Christmas put on her .... "Darn well don't do it then" ... it's become my philosophy to live by.

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:33 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
What kind of trick are we talking about here?
heh heh

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:34 pm
Velouria

Repeat after me: "Life is too short for this, don't let the bastards get you down" ... works for me.

I liked Dr Phil's solution for a woman who was complaining about all the pressure a family Christmas put on her .... "Darn well don't do it then" ... it's become my philosophy to live by.
awww dr phil!

all kidding aside.. very very true! life is way too short..

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:35 pm
Glaswegian

awww dr phil!

all kidding aside.. very very true! life is way too short..
I like Dr Phil, it's the one day time show I'm willing to watch ...

Old Dec 31st 2004, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Always look on the bright side of life... da da.. da da da da.

Give a little whistle.

Kids call me a miserable B'strd. Wife thinks I am a manic depressive. People cross the street when they see me coming. Even dogs run away and hide. Why would I be NEGATIVE Fer F'ck sake!

I didn't do it. No sir not me. Innocent.

GUILTY - TEN YEARS.

(Actually been working 22 - feels like 122)

Actually not neagitive - just more boredom setting in.

Someone on another forum got excited today. Got Medical requests after 17 months. That means VISA by the year 2020 I think. Oooooh, woopy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.