Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Planning permission equivalent in Canada?

Planning permission equivalent in Canada?

Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

JamieGilder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning permission equivalent in Canada?

Hi folks,

In the UK, we have Planning Permission that you'd apply for through your local council.
I've searched Service Ontario and a few other services, but I can't find out where I have to apply for planning permission.

Any help?
Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning permission equivalent in Canada?

Originally Posted by JamieGilder
Hi folks,

In the UK, we have Planning Permission that you'd apply for through your local council.
I've searched Service Ontario and a few other services, but I can't find out where I have to apply for planning permission.

Any help?
You need to look on the town or city website. The zoning bylaw will tell you some of what you can do in your part of town then you need to find what permits you need, also applied for via the town. Might be simpler just to call your town hall and ask for the planning department and tell them what you want to do and they will tell you if you can and what permits you need.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

A quick Google search will give you the relevent page for the City (add the City to the search parameter)

https://www.google.ca/search?client=....0.FGnPHbyQ4Ew

Old Mar 12th 2018, 8:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

This affects what land can be used for, each province is similar.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...ovating/zoning

If the zoning is correct (rezoning can be applied for, but is quite expensive and success is not assured), building permits need to be obtained for non agricultural construction (and some ag too). Everything has to have permits, footings, electrical, water and a host of other things. There are fees for all of this.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamieGilder
Hi folks,

Any help?
Most detailed 'planning permission' is at the local government level which deals with things like Minor Variances (building bigger or closer or higher than zoning allows), to rezoning and Official Plan Amendment applications and for most building over a certain size or # of units, you need Site Plan Approval. In most local government bodies these are public processes which are at the whim of neighbours complaining to their elected officials.

Which local municipality are you in. ?
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been looking into this as well and it's definitely a municipal government issue. Each town issues it's own permits.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allie73
We've been looking into this as well and it's definitely a municipal government issue. Each town issues it's own permits.
If it is you planning to get the permission and it is something like minor in your own home (i.e an expansion going beyond normal zoning limits), show the plans to the immediate neighbours prior to submitting and prior to the hearing so you don't get surprised by opposition with the panel members watching you squirm.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We applied for, and obtained, building permits for a couple of domestic projects: we added a floor to a house and, at a different location, built a barn. The experience was chalk and cheese.

At the first planning department we turned up with professional drawings that failed to take into account some recent variations in the window placement bylaws. That set off a tizzy and it was months later, after repeatedly submitting revisions, that the permit was granted.

At the second they were forthcoming about the requirements "up to 1200 sq ft, 50' from the boundary, should be no problem" and granted the permit as soon as we delivered a sketch, noting a required revision on the returned document.

In both cases there were site inspections so there was no issue of non-compliance with codes. It's just that some people are easy to deal with and some not.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Given the nature of urban sprawl in the municipality in which I live, I'ce been tempted to say that planning laws are lax to to the point of non-existence. However, having recently gone through the process of obtaining planning permission and a permit to build an extension, like dbd33 I'd agree the process can be, errrm, quirky. (& so by default quirky across Canada given that he's in rural ON and I'm in NL). In our case, the town was massively hung up on the septic system and proving that it was adequately sized and situated. Septic is controlled by the provincial govt, so the town wanted the govt inspector to sign off on it all being up to snuff. Trouble is the govt doesn't keep records beyond 7 years so has no data to allow them to do that. So I was in the position of two levels of government pointing fingers at each other saying the other was the problem. It all got resolved in the end by me finding a septic layout drawing in a dusty folder from when we purchased the house, but had I not done that we'd still probably be talking about it.

When construction actually starts you then have two levels of inspection (here at least) municpal - basement, framing, insulation, final occupancy and provincial - electrical. Make sure you get copies of inspection reports and permits. (Mike Holmes 101). You'll need them when and if you come to sell.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
We applied for, and obtained, building permits for a couple of domestic projects: we added a floor to a house and, at a different location, built a barn. The experience was chalk and cheese.

At the first planning department we turned up with professional drawings that failed to take into account some recent variations in the window placement bylaws. That set off a tizzy and it was months later, after repeatedly submitting revisions, that the permit was granted.

At the second they were forthcoming about the requirements "up to 1200 sq ft, 50' from the boundary, should be no problem" and granted the permit as soon as we delivered a sketch, noting a required revision on the returned document.

In both cases there were site inspections so there was no issue of non-compliance with codes. It's just that some people are easy to deal with and some not.
Urban and rural municipalities.?

Rural municipalities are usually quite easy to deal with especially if you're not 'from away'. The snow plough drivers opinions are listened to a lot there in terms of where new houses can be built and how long a cul-de-sac can be built and how much of a turnaround is required.

Urban municipalities and residents get all worked up, pearl clutching about the impacts of having a house 1 inch closer to the street than the accepted setback.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Given the nature of urban sprawl in the municipality in which I live, I'ce been tempted to say that planning laws are lax to to the point of non-existence. However, having recently gone through the process of obtaining planning permission and a permit to build an extension, like dbd33 I'd agree the process can be, errrm, quirky. (& so by default quirky across Canada given that he's in rural ON and I'm in NL). In our case, the town was massively hung up on the septic system and proving that it was adequately sized and situated. Septic is controlled by the provincial govt, so the town wanted the govt inspector to sign off on it all being up to snuff. Trouble is the govt doesn't keep records beyond 7 years so has no data to allow them to do that. So I was in the position of two levels of government pointing fingers at each other saying the other was the problem. It all got resolved in the end by me finding a septic layout drawing in a dusty folder from when we purchased the house, but had I not done that we'd still probably be talking about it.

When construction actually starts you then have two levels of inspection (here at least) municpal - basement, framing, insulation, final occupancy and provincial - electrical. Make sure you get copies of inspection reports and permits. (Mike Holmes 101). You'll need them when and if you come to sell.
Good advice. I'm dealing with a situation right now in a residential area of Ottawa for a new triplex where we want to get access for 2 parking spaces at the back via a City laneway. The laneway is overgrown but 15 metres to the north it is maintained but the City denies they maintain it and one department is in favour of allowing the owner to clear the overgrowth and provide access for 2 parking spaces. Another department says the laneway is not maintained and has no status as a maintained laneway and they don't want to allow access. The City still owns the laneway but the department who don't want access have no plans for the laneway but they fail to see the issue. The irony of the two departments in adjacent silos not talking to one another is lost on them

There is a reason many homeowners and small builders hire consultants to deal with City Hall.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 5:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Urban and rural municipalities.?

Rural municipalities are usually quite easy to deal with especially if you're not 'from away'. The snow plough drivers opinions are listened to a lot there in terms of where new houses can be built and how long a cul-de-sac can be built and how much of a turnaround is required.

Urban municipalities and residents get all worked up, pearl clutching about the impacts of having a house 1 inch closer to the street than the accepted setback.
In these two cases, yes, urban and rural as described. Going back a bit, Toronto was awful, completely random. For example, the neighbor was allowed to McMansion his house with windows directly looking into ours, I could literally put my hand into his house from inside ours but we couldn't knock down the garage and rebuild it; we had to do one wall at a time.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Yes, but when you see the density of the new, sprawling 'cookie cutter' estates (e.g. Barrhaven), you can see how every inch might matter to them.

I swear no one bothers putting the cars away in the garage judging by the number of cars I see covered in overnight snow (and not cleared by the owner). But then again, the garages are now so small and probably filled with junk!

I suppose these estates have their place, but if you can, I would strongly recommend looking at either semi-rural or 'older' estates (60's and 70's and maybe 80's), when they were still building with sensible plots of land.

Rant over!
Old Mar 13th 2018, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

In Vancouver, you have to get permits even if you are only making internal changes that do not affect the footprint of the house.

Any electrical, plumbing or internal construction work has to be done by permit.

About 18 months ago, a friend renovated her 1 bedroom condo, ca 600 sq ft, employed a contractor who knew City Hall and what was needed. It still took him weeks to get the plans approved and permits granted.

The major changes were removing the wall between the kitchen and hall and kitchen and main room ...... ie making an open plan ........... and installing a large walk-in shower in the bathroom in place of the bath.

After work had started, another resident complained to City Hall, referencing "possible asbestos" and risk to other residents.

A 3 week stop in work until an engineer could get out to examine and ensure that there was no asbestos involved ............ he did suggest that the contractor move the plastic sheeting he had installed over the inside of the main door to the outside!

All new construction (mainly ensuring that no interior support walls had been removed), plumbing and electrical work had to be inspected and approved at varying stages.

Finally, an approval to inhabit had to be issued.

Poor friend was out of her condo for almost 3 months instead of the anticipated 6 weeks.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Re rural areas ...............

we had a cabin in the north, it was semi-remote and came under the enarest "municipality" if permits were needed ......... that was about 60 km away.

If we did any reno that cost over $400, we had to get permits ............. the inspection would include such features as the type of sanitation, siding, etc.

If sanitation was other than the one currently accepted, then it had to be upgraded from sani-field, sani-box, etc

The guy who was replacing the "holey" roof with a metal one suggested that we extend the peak out over a sun porch that had a flat roof. He costed the extension at $390

This was the same authority who when asked why the annual tax assessment for said cabin had increased almost 4-fold in 1 year, replied that they had been unable to find a comparable property in the area had used a 40 acre property 100 km away.

Our property was 20 acres, not cultivated or used for logging etc although zoned (by them!) as "farm". The other was 40 acres, with more than 1 house on it. They wouldn't tell me the zoning!

In other words .......... you never quite know what hoops you will have to jump through, but it is always at the local level.

Last edited by scilly; Mar 13th 2018 at 8:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.