Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Planning my move: I have a feeling i've missed lots of things..

Planning my move: I have a feeling i've missed lots of things..

Old May 23rd 2017, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat075 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning my move: I have a feeling i've missed lots of things..

Hello, i'm moving to Whistler for 2 years in November on my own, i'm staying in Vancouver for about a day and a half before i head up to whistler to my place, i want to try sort a bunch of things in Vancouver whilst i'm in a city but i feel like there's more i need to sort than i currently know about..

Other info - I'm able to continue my current job whilst i'm in Canada but will look for work out there too - i'm self employed so i'm having a meeting with my accountant soon to figure all this stuff out

Things i've sorted:
Accommodation
Flights
Up to date passport
Printed documents - little confused with what i specifically need to present customs with when i arrive, from what i understand i need: POE letter, passport, proof of at least $2500CAD (how does this work? a print out of my bank statement?) and printed documents for health insurance showing cover for the duration of the trip (struggling to find cover).

To Do:
Find a cheapish hotel in Vancouver - i'm currently looking but any recommendations would be great
Getting from the airport to Vancouver then Vancouver to Whistler - again any recommendations would be great!
Find a bank/open an account - probably a bank that has a branch in Whistler
Find a decent phone contract - I assume i can use my english iphone 6 and just get a sim card contract?
Change my drivers licence - do i just take my current licence or do i need more documents?
I believe i need to get a SIN? - I read the office in Whistler is open like once per month so i'll try get this done in Vancouver
Find a cheap service to ship 1 crate door to door - I'm purchasing 1 wooden crate to ship a bunch of things, safest way i could think of as it's a solid wooden box and can't get thrown around! i've read a lot about shipping on here but it's all mainly families shipping large quantities, i want to send 1 crate via air cargo (i want it fairly quick), has anyone else done the same? i had a rough estimate for 1m x 1m x 2m crate 250kg approx £350

Things to do before leaving England:
No idea... except cancelling all contracts etc i have here.
I have a student loan, i assume nothing really changes here?

That's all i can think of, i'm sure there's plenty more i need to do, trying my best to research it all but it's a little difficult on my own, never done anything this big!

Thanks for your time, i appreciate there's a lot of info there so even advice on just one thing would be great!
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning my move: I have a feeling i've missed lots of things..

Hi, have a look at the Wiki as there's loads of useful info in there, including this 'to do list' - Departure To Do List (UK to Canada) : British Expat Wiki A lot of it won't apply as you're going on a temp visa, but it's a good place to start. A search of the forum will bring up info on mobile phones etc.

And the IEC thread has info on other stuff, such as names of insurance companies that are recommended, so do search that too.

HTH.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, have a look at the Wiki as there's loads of useful info in there, including this 'to do list' - Departure To Do List (UK to Canada) : British Expat Wiki A lot of it won't apply as you're going on a temp visa, but it's a good place to start. A search of the forum will bring up info on mobile phones etc.

And the IEC thread has info on other stuff, such as names of insurance companies that are recommended, so do search that too.

HTH.
Sorry the post was more me thinking out loud - like this is what i've come up with so far, and if anyone noticed i missed any important things to do/prepare before i leave then great, i didn't mean it to sound like i want others to do it for me! i'm actively researching still and i have had a look through all the bits you've mentioned already which is where i got most of my info from.

Regarding advice i just know things can change in a matter of months, for example i left a phone company for another because their coverage was rubbish, a month later they did a huge update and it massively improved but not many people new so most people were still saying their coverage was bad. So some older posts may not be as relevant/true for today. Also things like if anyone knows any current deals or if they know a great hotel that may not be listed on places like tripadvisor/expedia etc, that kinda stuff.
Old May 24th 2017, 1:07 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick thought Pinnacle, but there are fairly regular, long, threads about all the different service providers on BE, if you search for the threads. You will find that they differ greatly Provincialy.

With regard to accommodation if you know when you are coming have you looked at VRBO?

Very best of luck, I hope you enjoy the whole experience and have fun
Old May 24th 2017, 1:55 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinnacle
Find a cheapish hotel in Vancouver - i'm currently looking but any recommendations would be great
Getting from the airport to Vancouver then Vancouver to Whistler - again any recommendations would be great!
Find a bank/open an account - probably a bank that has a branch in Whistler
What do you mean by cheapish? $100 a night? $300 a night? You can take the skytrain from the Airport to central downtown. There are lots of hotels downtown but more closer to the $300 per night range.

Why not wait till you get to Whistler and open an account in a branch there?
Old May 24th 2017, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Cannot comment on a of your list, as not in BC.

But:
I got a chatr plan when I first arrived, they use Rogers(one of the main Telcos) so hopefully better service and coverance. It was a pay monthly and I think from memory around $40 which gave me free calls and SMS(Canada) and a 4GB data plan.

PC financials, might be a decent bank to go with as they are free. Mainly online, with kiosks dotted around Loblaws, PC frills and other supermarkets part of this chain. Check to see they have supermarkets at your destination.

Drivers License - you will need to contact the DVLA and ask for a abstract of how many years you have had you license and to cover no convictions or points.
If you have had more than 3 years NCB, then get a copy of than from your insurance company. If you have had multiple insurance companies over set period of time. Contact them all.

A wooden crate, will be expensive due to the extra weight to ship air frieght. What are you actually sending?
Send My Bag worked for me one xmas in the UK, sending to OZ. They pick up from your door and deliver to your destination apartment.
250kg for 350 pounds sounds very cheap for airfare, considering baggage allowance is usually 20-25kg, slightly more is allowed 2 checked in. Actually think they have limits on the weight of the boxes, the people handling the stuff need to move it.
Unless that is a typo!!!

If you can wait for some of your stuff, sea frieght may work out best and you get to ship more for a cheaper cost. A couple of large tea-chests(cardboard) and some pretty savvy packing should suffice. I have not anything damaged, but some of the boxes looked a little worse for wear.

You have not mentioned it, so not sure if you are aware to ship goods into Canada. You need to have copies of this for goods on arrival and goods to follow:
Before you arrive: Prepare to move - Crossing the border: documents you need
The goods to follow can be a pain, as you have to go to the customs where the goods will be passing through. So check with the shipping company, as you may have to take a trip back to Vancouver.

I know your time is very short in Vancouver but try to see if you can get your SIN there, as it least it will not hinder your job hunting.

Additionaly if not already thought of it, all important documents, photocopy and put on dropbox or something similar.
Printed documents, I was also confused by this and just took everything I thought was important. They did think it was overkill going through customs

Proof of funds, yes I think just the latest statement from your bank account would suffice. If you can I would say double the $2500CA$, as if you do not find work quickly you could eat through this quicker that you expect.

Do you have a UK CC, if so bring this with you as always helpful to have some backup funds just in case and to cover a return flight home just in case the funds at the end of your trip do not add up.

If you are looking for a cheap night in Vancouver, forget a hotel just check in the hostel. All you are wanting is a bed and then a shower in the morning. Even check out AirBnB for an upgrade.
Old May 24th 2017, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Cheapest way to get from the airport to downtown Vancouver is on the Canada Line skytrain ............. the airport station is between domestic and international departures.

Bit impossible to find a cheap hotel in Vancouver. A hostel might be your best bet .......... but some of those are in slightly dodgy areas. You might consider Airbnb, except that Vancouver city council is trying to make them illegal unless it truly is a room in someone's house or apartment with the owner on site.

Pacific Coach Lines run a regular bus shuttle from Vancouver (from the Greyhound station) and from the Airport to Whistler

Vancouver to Whistler Bus Round Trip - Pacific Coach

check banks in Whistler here ........

https://www.canpages.ca/business/BC/...77-064200.html

grocery stores in Whistler .......

http://www.whistler.worldweb.com/Shopping/Food/

I'm not sure that any of those come under the President's Choice banking umbrella!

Most Canadians do not seem to switch phone or cable providers as much as it seems people in the UK do. In fact, it is common to find only 1 or 2 providers servicing an area.

May I say that you are extremely lucky to have found accommodation in Whistler, especially as you will be arriving after the ski season has started and all seasonal workers have been hired and started work!!
Old May 24th 2017, 5:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For accommodation in Vancouver, try Homestay - rooms available from $40 a night in November in the downtown core, cheaper elsewhere.

Old May 24th 2017, 9:00 am
Account Closed

Wow thanks for all the replies! I'll have a read through them all on my lunch break and get back to you
Old May 24th 2017, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Things i've sorted:
Accommodation
Flights
Up to date passport
Printed documents - little confused with what i specifically need to present customs with when i arrive, from what i understand i need: POE letter, passport, proof of at least $2500CAD (how does this work? a print out of my bank statement?) and printed documents for health insurance showing cover for the duration of the trip (struggling to find cover).
Yep, as listed at Prepare for arrival – International Experience Canada. True Traveller is the standard IEC recommended insurer, as they allow unlimited trips home, and have decent reviews for claiming (against, say, Alpha who limit trips home, are cheaper, but have middling, at best, reviews for people who've needed to claim)

To Do:
Hostel would be much cheaper than hotel, unless you're really keen on having your own room (which, some offer). Try the HI near Davie for a full kitchen which means can cook for yourself, or the HI or Samesun about a km away in downtown are meant to be better for going out and the like.
Skytrain from YVR to downtown, Greyhound from Pacific terminal to Whistler.

Find a decent phone contract - I assume i can use my english iphone 6 and just get a sim card contract?
I found Koodoo the best match for price/service. Check coverage maps, as some Canadian networks are very spotty coverage - can mean great looking price, then realise you have to 'roam' with associated costs, like you're in another country, as soon as you're out of central Vancouver/Calgary/Toronto.

Change my drivers licence - do i just take my current licence or do i need more documents?
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...r-country.aspx
Take your passport & work permit to an ICBC office (proof you're entitled to a licence), and your UK photocard (which is both the existing licence and proof of when it was issued). If you want belt and braces you could get the online code that replaced the counterpart, but... yeah, basically I just handed over a photocard, got a photocard in return. It gets mailed to you, so you can do it when you arrive if you've already sorted your Whistler accomodation.
I believe i need to get a SIN? - I read the office in Whistler is open like once per month so i'll try get this done in Vancouver
Granville/Hastings for the Sinclair Centre. Show up, issued while you wait, get a printout with the number.
Things to do before leaving England:
No idea... except cancelling all contracts etc i have here.
I have a student loan, i assume nothing really changes here?
If you're going to continue paying it, nothing changes. If you want time off, you need to fill in the going overseas form, or they'll slap you with default charges. Their working assumption if you just stop paying is that you're earning well over the threshold and trying to diddle them. Non-paying of student loans is now a criminal offence, and the last/current Govt set up arrangements to sue people overseas. So.... only 'nothing changes' if your payment to them doesn't change, otherwise, lots changes

Last edited by Vulcanoid; May 24th 2017 at 12:51 pm. Reason: minor fixes
Old May 24th 2017, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by evets
Drivers License - you will need to contact the DVLA and ask for a abstract of how many years you have had you license and to cover no convictions or points.
If you have had more than 3 years NCB, then get a copy of than from your insurance company. If you have had multiple insurance companies over set period of time. Contact them all.
How come i need to contact them all? i have around 8 years NCB but my most recent will state this if i ask for proof of NCB.

A wooden crate, will be expensive due to the extra weight to ship air frieght. What are you actually sending?
Various items no furniture though, not sure on everything yet but i know for certain i'm shipping an electric drum kit and 2 of my bikes which could get easily damaged in transit (i worked for a bike company previously and we had quite a few bikes delivered damaged), pretty certain i can fit whatever i'm taking in one crate so i'd prefer the peace of mind knowing they're safe in a wooden box.

You have not mentioned it, so not sure if you are aware to ship goods into Canada. You need to have copies of this for goods on arrival and goods to follow:
Before you arrive: Prepare to move - Crossing the border: documents you need
The goods to follow can be a pain, as you have to go to the customs where the goods will be passing through. So check with the shipping company, as you may have to take a trip back to Vancouver.
I was not aware, i will check it out thanks!

If you are looking for a cheap night in Vancouver, forget a hotel just check in the hostel. All you are wanting is a bed and then a shower in the morning. Even check out AirBnB for an upgrade.
With a hostel though i'd be concerned about the safety of my belongings, i'll have a suit case, snowboard bag and hand luggage for laptop and other important documents.
Old May 24th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

How come i need to contact them all? i have around 8 years NCB but my most recent will state this if i ask for proof of NCB.
Because if you're trying to get a reduction in your insurance with ICBC, a NCB isn't what they want/need.

ICBC gives reductions for people who haven't had any accidents. A UK No Claims Bonus rewards people who haven't made any claims. The distinction is small, but crucial, so if you just get a letter from your most recent insurer saying you've got 8 years of NCB, you'll pay full price insurance. You need confirmation from all your insurers that you didn't have any accidents.

My understanding is that people frequently find this less than easy to obtain (no personal experience, I don't need to drive in Britain).
Old May 24th 2017, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
Cheapest way to get from the airport to downtown Vancouver is on the Canada Line skytrain ............. the airport station is between domestic and international departures.
This seems to be the most popular answer, i'll have hand luggage, a suit case and a snowboard bag, would this be manageable do you think? if it's anything like the trains and stations here i could be a bit difficult (my view maybe skewed as i live near london, trains are always busy!)

Bit impossible to find a cheap hotel in Vancouver. A hostel might be your best bet .......... but some of those are in slightly dodgy areas. You might consider Airbnb, except that Vancouver city council is trying to make them illegal unless it truly is a room in someone's house or apartment with the owner on site.
My main concern is security of my belongings as i'll have important stuff with me, i don't mind spending around $100/night.

Pacific Coach Lines run a regular bus shuttle from Vancouver (from the Greyhound station) and from the Airport to Whistler

Vancouver to Whistler Bus Round Trip - Pacific Coach
Great, i'll check it out!

May I say that you are extremely lucky to have found accommodation in Whistler, especially as you will be arriving after the ski season has started and all seasonal workers have been hired and started work!!
Yes i do feel very lucky! i was looking for weeks with no luck reading how over crowded whistler is and then stumbled across this company called Ride On Whistler, they sound amazing and their properties look great, had a skype chat with the owner and all seems good so fingers crossed it's as good as it looks!
Old May 24th 2017, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
For accommodation in Vancouver, try Homestay - rooms available from $40 a night in November in the downtown core, cheaper elsewhere.

Looks good i'll check it out, thanks!
Old May 24th 2017, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Yep, as listed at Prepare for arrival – International Experience Canada. True Traveller is the standard IEC recommended insurer, as they allow unlimited trips home, and have decent reviews for claiming (against, say, Alpha who limit trips home, are cheaper, but have middling, at best, reviews for people who've needed to claim)
Hadn't thought about trips home effecting the insurance thanks for the heads up, my problem i've found from my first look is i need cover for 2 years (it said to get my visa i have to provide proof of cover for the full duration) and also i snowboard & mountain bike (plus various other smaller hobbies), one specialist for extreme sports only covered for 17 days of snowboarding (including slopestyle & off piste), a season in whistler is like october till june...!

I found Koodoo the best match for price/service. Check coverage maps, as some Canadian networks are very spotty coverage - can mean great looking price, then realise you have to 'roam' with associated costs, like you're in another country, as soon as you're out of central Vancouver/Calgary/Toronto.
Hadn't really considered that as the UK is so small you don't need to worry about roaming, i feel i probably wouldn't use a phone all that much though as i hardly use mine here, mostly used for browsing instagram lol

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...r-country.aspx
Take your passport & work permit to an ICBC office (proof you're entitled to a licence), and your UK photocard (which is both the existing licence and proof of when it was issued). If you want belt and braces you could get the online code that replaced the counterpart, but... yeah, basically I just handed over a photocard, got a photocard in return. It gets mailed to you, so you can do it when you arrive if you've already sorted your Whistler accomodation.
Great that's good to know, not sure how much driving i will be doing but prefer to have the licence sorted for if i do end up driving out there.

Granville/Hastings for the Sinclair Centre. Show up, issued while you wait, get a printout with the number.
Oh right that simple? hopefully get it all done in a day then!

If you're going to continue paying it, nothing changes. If you want time off, you need to fill in the going overseas form, or they'll slap you with default charges. Their working assumption if you just stop paying is that you're earning well over the threshold and trying to diddle them. Non-paying of student loans is now a criminal offence, and the last/current Govt set up arrangements to sue people overseas. So.... only 'nothing changes' if your payment to them doesn't change, otherwise, lots changes
I'll be continuing the payments, it was rumoured at uni if you left the country for like 5 years you didn't have to pay the loans back, think this was just a rumour though, great if that was the case!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.