Reload this Page >

ping pong? kamloops - nova scotia

ping pong? kamloops - nova scotia

Old Feb 10th 2018, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Lolly16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ping pong? kamloops - nova scotia

Hi all,

Looking for some advice as such! I have read every thread I could find on nova scotia but I still have a couple of questions.

Bit of background on us;
Moved to Vancouver 2012
quickly realized acreage was out of sight financially
Moved to Kamloops 2015 bought house on small acreage.

Our canadian friends have mentioned they want to move to nova scotia so me being intrigued looked into it! Being an expat I don't feel tied anywhere (yet) our children are young so we have time to explore. Here in Kamloops our property prices have risen a fair amount since 2015, due to lots of people moving from the coast . By the looks of realtor.ca it would seem we could potentially be mortgage free in Nova Scotia with more property. With interest rates on the rise , along with new mortgage rules, I don't think they'll continue creeping but who knows!

Questions;

My husband is a heavy duty mechanic , from what I can tell he would need to transfer his qualifications again, he got his red seal after moving from the U.K, has anyone been through this process?

Rain? It seems NS has high precipitation of rain, half the year to be more precise. Is this showers or does the rain last the whole day? I am not a huge fan of rain but neither of the snow! I find here I seem to hermit for 6 months , would I go out more warmer but rainier conditions?hmmm

We run an air b n b here which is fairly busy, I notice from NS it seems to be super busy booked into May. Which is interesting, it would be great to carry on in NS, anyone on here run air b n b from ns or surrounding areas?

On the property listings there is these figures; Assessment $211,00 res $16,100 resource- what do these figures mean?

How do children find life? We have young kids under 6, here there are quite a few things for kids to do and events in the summer.

How is flying back to the U.K, its quite appealing that its not too far of a flight, my inlaws are getting older and though would like to come more , the flight time of 11 hrs and then a connecting flight to kamloops is just too much.

I am a horsey gal, how is the equine community over there, lots of places to ride?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Lolly16; Feb 10th 2018 at 5:01 pm. Reason: couple mistakes/another question!
Old Feb 10th 2018, 5:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ping pong? kamloops - nova scotia

Originally Posted by Lolly16
My husband is a heavy duty mechanic , from what I can tell he would need to transfer his qualifications again, he got his red seal after moving from the U.K, has anyone been through this process?
If he has Red Seal endorsement, he is done, portable across Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
If he has Red Seal endorsement, he is done, portable across Canada.
he does! Thats great news.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lolly16
Hi all,

Looking for some advice as such! I have read every thread I could find on nova scotia but I still have a couple of questions.

Bit of background on us;
Moved to Vancouver 2012
quickly realized acreage was out of sight financially
Moved to Kamloops 2015 bought house on small acreage.

Our canadian friends have mentioned they want to move to nova scotia so me being intrigued looked into it! Being an expat I don't feel tied anywhere (yet) our children are young so we have time to explore. Here in Kamloops our property prices have risen a fair amount since 2015, due to lots of people moving from the coast . By the looks of realtor.ca it would seem we could potentially be mortgage free in Nova Scotia with more property. With interest rates on the rise , along with new mortgage rules, I don't think they'll continue creeping but who knows!

Questions;

My husband is a heavy duty mechanic , from what I can tell he would need to transfer his qualifications again, he got his red seal after moving from the U.K, has anyone been through this process? Already answered by Aviator

Rain? It seems NS has high precipitation of rain, half the year to be more precise. Is this showers or does the rain last the whole day? I am not a huge fan of rain but neither of the snow! I find here I seem to hermit for 6 months , would I go out more warmer but rainier conditions?hmmm Perhaps consider Manitoba and Saskatchewan as both have less snow and rain than BC or NS

We run an air b n b here which is fairly busy, I notice from NS it seems to be super busy booked into May. Which is interesting, it would be great to carry on in NS, anyone on here run air b n b from ns or surrounding areas?

On the property listings there is these figures; Assessment $211,00 res $16,100 resource- what do these figures mean?

How do children find life? We have young kids under 6, here there are quite a few things for kids to do and events in the summer. I'm pretty sure there are the odd one or two children under 6 in NS who are doing just fine and find things to do

How is flying back to the U.K, its quite appealing that its not too far of a flight, my inlaws are getting older and though would like to come more , the flight time of 11 hrs and then a connecting flight to kamloops is just too much. Halifax has an International airport that gets flights from the UK but it might just be seasonal try googling Westjet

I am a horsey gal, how is the equine community over there, lots of places to ride?
I think they have horses in NS with stables and such as a lot of NS is rural.
Thanks in advance!!
I hope this helps.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was born in Vancouver and has lived in NS since 1999 .......

....... she gets sick and tired of the snow and of the rain!

They get the tail ends of several hurricanes a year, and that can mean torrential wind and gale force (or even hurricane force) winds that can last for a day or more.

There have been a couple of hurricanes in winter, that have brought incredible snow

Google Juan and White Juan, and snow in NS ....... this has been quite bad year in large areas of the Maritimes.

We had a green Christmas there this year, but it did rain, and the Nor-easter was bitterly cold. Snow arrived in January
Old Feb 11th 2018, 1:35 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Won't you miss the Kamloops summers and mild winters? I've never been to NS but I have heard the winters are brutal. West is best
Old Feb 11th 2018, 1:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Won't you miss the Kamloops summers and mild winters? I've never been to NS but I have heard the winters are brutal. West is best
I have been on a horse in Nova Scotia. I can confirm that they exist.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 1:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I get mixed up between Kamloops and Kelowna. Which is the one that stinks?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I get mixed up between Kamloops and Kelowna. Which is the one that stinks?

Kamloops .. though not as bad as it once did.

BUT it also has a university, and is the northern one of the two, so doesn't get as hot in the summer.

But truly, weather is not in general better in NS than it is in Kamloops!
Old Feb 11th 2018, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I guess I must be missing something. Winters can be brutal but to be honest every winter I have lived through in NS, since 2008, has been different and rain.... can’t say it has been that bad. Think the south coast and Halifax area gets it bad but never really hear the complaints
Old Feb 11th 2018, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's sunny though a little chilly in Vancouver today, sunny and about -1C I think in Kamloops (from something I heard on the radio) ................... raining in NS according to the daughter
Old Feb 11th 2018, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank so for all the advice / opinions . I will miss kamloops summers , although at 38 I do tend to hibernate then too !!
My main interest is to get the equity out of my house while it’s high due to large numbers moving from the coast . I do think we’re heading for a correction soon . If prices crash I could always get back in or try somewhere else in Canada ! If they don’t , it is what it is !
It’s -10 here’s today, been a fairly mild winter compared to last year . Last year -25 wasn’t uncommon this year we’ve stayed above -15 .
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

You say you're not a fan of rain ............... my experience is that when rain falls in NS it is often much harder than in BC, even in winter.

Yes, 24 days with rain in January in Vancouver was almost soul-destroying, but put that against the 3 dry months we had in summer last year.

You can but try it ............... but I would very strongly suggest that you spend some time in NS before making your final decision. There are many differences between areas.

Did you see that view of the parking lot in Antigonish that flooded a couple of weeks ago to the point of almost covering cars, and then froze?

It was on several TV news reports and in the media, also probably on Youtube.

How are you about mossies, black flies, etc?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

O know a few people who lived in NS and now live in BC. The comments I got, were that they were pleased to be away from the extreme weather.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

we will definitely visit first and yes I am worried about the rain! However being realistic I haven't done anything since the snow hit here in November, Most of my friends ski but it doesn't interest me.

I'm not tied to NS, just want to free up my equity while its there.

We had major floods here in April too, it was terrible in the interior last spring. Our community still has major damaged which is yet to be repaired. I would imagine NS suffers far more due to the rainfall .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.